Does A3 still file inter-country fares?

Old May 5, 19, 8:28 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: A3*G, UA*S, MR PPE, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Does A3 still file inter-country fares?

I remember back in 2016 I was able to book BOD-ATH-FCO for slightly more than BOD-ATH, leading me to suspect A3 filed a BOD-FCO fare at one point. Does A3 still file fares between countries? I'm planning the annual 4-sector run this summer, and I'm wondering if I'm limited to booking XXX-ATH-SKG/island, or if there are still inter-country fares out there. Google flights lists "price unavailable" when I try to force, say, A3/LHR-ATH-FCO (and ITA matrix shows me that it's just a combination of LHR-ATH and ATH-FCO fares), so I'm not optimistic...
Old May 5, 19, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by pewpew View Post
I remember back in 2016 I was able to book BOD-ATH-FCO for slightly more than BOD-ATH, leading me to suspect A3 filed a BOD-FCO fare at one point. Does A3 still file fares between countries? I'm planning the annual 4-sector run this summer, and I'm wondering if I'm limited to booking XXX-ATH-SKG/island, or if there are still inter-country fares out there. Google flights lists "price unavailable" when I try to force, say, A3/LHR-ATH-FCO (and ITA matrix shows me that it's just a combination of LHR-ATH and ATH-FCO fares), so I'm not optimistic...
Go somewhere else for a change...?
Old May 5, 19, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Does A3 still file fares between countries?
Think about the implications of your question. If the answer were “no”, then that would mean that all Aegean tickets would have to either commence in, or terminate in, Greece.

Does that really seem like a likely and viable restriction that Aegean would impose on themselves?
bcnfish likes this.
Old May 6, 19, 1:54 am

Programs: A3*G, FB Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
I have booked good deals with Aegean from BRU-ATH-SOF/LCA/BEY/JMK/SKG/IKA.
Old May 6, 19, 2:15 am

I'm sure there are some inter-country fares that exist if they are logical (ie., LON-ATH-TLV). But if you're looking for something like LON-ATH-CDG then I have doubts
Old May 6, 19, 2:19 am

Programs: A3 *G
I haven't seen any of the N.Europe-ATH-N.Europe flights for a while but there are many options available to international destinations closer to Athens such as SOF, BEG, OTP, TIA, IST, LCA as somebody already mentioned. For example, if you book ahead, LHR-ATH-TIA is often cheaper than LHR-ATH on the same flight. Right now there are also some great fares available to A3's new North African destinations too, which not only earn you the segments you require, but lots of additional miles. The first example I checked was BER-ATH-CMN for 83 Euro in September and AMS-ATH-RAK for 112 Euro in June. I'm sure there are some better out there if you have time to search.
Old May 6, 19, 2:29 am

Well there are cheap BRU-TXL/BEG U fares, but they involve overnight layovers in ATH.
Old May 6, 19, 4:11 am

@Unionruler, when you say they are cheap BRU-BEG U fares, canyou give an example because I only see prices above 300 EUR
Old May 6, 19, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by MerNion View Post
@Unionruler, when you say they are cheap BRU-BEG U fares, canyou give an example because I only see prices above 300 EUR
The OP wanted August, but then inbound availability is an issue, so only one-ways are cheap.

But later in the year, basically just force fare basis P0BAGTI/ U0BAGTI to the Eastern European destinations (KRK, PRG, WAW etc.)
Old May 6, 19, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by hydrogen View Post
I'm sure there are some inter-country fares that exist if they are logical (ie., LON-ATH-TLV). But if you're looking for something like LON-ATH-CDG then I have doubts
No doubts to be had. A3 file even the most random fares. For example DUB-ATH-LHR for often a similar fare to the 1 hour direct non stop.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old May 6, 19, 7:58 am
:D!
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
For "illogical" routes like LHR-ATH-DUB, ITA Matrix is unreliable with availability. I find google flights to also be unreliable except for point-to-point tickets or a simple longhaul plus shorthaul on all airlines.

However I can certainly find LHR-ATH-FCO (oneways or returns) available to book on Expedia. On the A3 website, you may need to use multi-city function, and even so they may not be bookable.

And to answer the question in the title, searching on ITA will give you a fare basis and rules even if that ends up not being bookable - and entering random dates for FCO to LHR route A3+ gives various fares from ROM to LON which have rules such as NO DIRECT FLIGHTS ALLOWED and STOPOVER IN ATHENS PERMITTED AT EUR 75.00, indicating that this is one of the fares the OP is looking for, not just a combination of two fares.
Old May 6, 19, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
For "illogical" routes like LHR-ATH-DUB, ITA Matrix is unreliable with availability.

and entering random dates for FCO to LHR route A3+ gives various fares from ROM to LON which have rules such as NO DIRECT FLIGHTS ALLOWED and STOPOVER IN ATHENS PERMITTED AT EUR 75.00, indicating that this is one of the fares the OP is looking for, not just a combination of two fares.

Here is a random example for such a through IATA oneway fare not combining two fares but a proper LHR-ATH-DUB ticket.

irishguy28 likes this.
Old May 7, 19, 1:43 am

Programs: A3 Gold
However I can certainly find LHR-ATH-FCO (oneways or returns) available to book on Expedia. On the A3 website, you may need to use multi-city function, and even so they may not be bookable.

And to answer the question in the title, searching on ITA will give you a fare basis and rules even if that ends up not being bookable - and entering random dates for FCO to LHR route A3+ gives various fares from ROM to LON which have rules such as NO DIRECT FLIGHTS ALLOWED and STOPOVER IN ATHENS PERMITTED AT EUR 75.00, indicating that this is one of the fares the OP is looking for, not just a combination of two fares.
If booking through Expedia (or other OTAs), how can you tell if what you bought is a one-way, or a combination of two one-ways? Usually you cannot see the fare basis and rules before paying, but is there a reliable way to always get them after the flights have been ticketed? Is looking up the PNR and seeing a single eTicket number enough to guarantee that it is a single, one-way ticket?

Many of the European AAA-ATH-BBB combinations have very short connections in ATH, so if the inbound is late and you're on two separate tickets, then you'll likely be out of luck and forced to cough up the money to buy a new ticket yourself. Or will the OTA always pick up the bill in this case?
Old May 7, 19, 3:36 am

For "illogical" routes like LHR-ATH-DUB, ITA Matrix is unreliable with availability. I find google flights to also be unreliable except for point-to-point tickets or a simple longhaul plus shorthaul on all airlines.

On routings that would usually be considered illogical, I have found that Amex travel will initially show the same availability as the ITA Matrix, but then error out when attempting to book. Then, searching for the same flights again the the price will have moved up one booking class, which then books successfully. I have no explanation for this.
Old May 10, 19, 2:21 am
:D!
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by greenarmy View Post
On routings that would usually be considered illogical, I have found that Amex travel will initially show the same availability as the ITA Matrix, but then error out when attempting to book. Then, searching for the same flights again the the price will have moved up one booking class, which then books successfully. I have no explanation for this.
There is some sort of phantom availability problem, so Amex Travel reserves a seat that doesn't actually exist, then tries to ticket. Even though ticketing fails, the phantom seat remains held for 15 minutes or thereabouts.

So when you perform the search again, it is no longer available and the engine looks for the next booking class.

What you report has never happened to me, but you have given me an idea for next time. If you are only booking for 1 and on the second try it succeeds, then there must only be availability of 1 that doesn't really exist. However if there is a phantom availability of 3, for example, then I would need to make a dummy reservation of 3 seats then begin a new search to see whether the next class shows up, and this would have to be done by trial and error.

With Expedia I find that the initial search shows the phantom availability. However once you select a single itinerary and click onrward, it says the price has changed but the new price (which might be higher or lower than the initial search result) is genuinely available.
hugolover likes this.

Search this Thread