Trying to get gold status

Old Apr 11, 19, 4:20 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 27
Trying to get gold status

Hello guys
i will try to get a return ticket in business class from CAIRO to DENPASAR with Turkish airlines and ATHENS to CAIRO and back with AEGEAN in business class + 4 domestic return flights with Olympic in economy before the big trip
will that be enough miles to go gold with Aegean?
thanks
jannosk is offline  
Old Apr 11, 19, 5:03 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: ARN, ATH
Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Posts: 231
Just to confirm that I got this right. Your trips are as follows:

1. CAI-ISL-DPS-ISL-CAI in TK biz ~21.5 K
2. ATH-CAI-ATH in A3 biz --> 3.2K
3. 4x2=8 domestic segments in OA econ --> 1.6K--4.8K, depending on the booking class

From your question I assume that you do not already have any other tier miles in your M&B account or status with A3.

Or am I wrong? If you are already A3*S, then this should be more than enough to land you A3*G. Provided of course that all segments are in an earning fare class (i.e. in this case paid, not award or econ upgraded). Then you will in fact need only one paid domestic return trip (2 segments) with OA since your two segments in (2) already count towards your 4 A3/OA segments.

If you are not A3*S, then things are more complicated, as the order in which you take these flights matters. The best would be to take them in an order such that you have two A3/OA segments before you reach 12K miles. But even then the trips you describe are not sufficient to get you to G.

So starting from point zero, the minimum requirement for A3*G is:
1. 12K+24K=36K tier miles AND
2. 2+4=6 segments on A3/OA
provided that you take the flights in the appropriate order (see remark above). In your case you don't meet the first requirement.
jannosk likes this.

Last edited by East_and_West; Apr 11, 19 at 5:17 am Reason: In A3 they are actually called "tier miles", not "basic miles"... Fixed that :)
East_and_West is offline  
Old Apr 11, 19, 5:39 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ARN
Posts: 2,742
Also note that J class on TK only earns 100%. So if you're booked in J, you'll only get 14.3K for the CAI-DPS-CAI trip.
jannosk likes this.
RedChili is offline  
Old Apr 11, 19, 6:21 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by East_and_West View Post
Just to confirm that I got this right. Your trips are as follows:

1. CAI-ISL-DPS-ISL-CAI in TK biz ~21.5 K
2. ATH-CAI-ATH in A3 biz --> 3.2K
3. 4x2=8 domestic segments in OA econ --> 1.6K--4.8K, depending on the booking class

From your question I assume that you do not already have any other tier miles in your M&B account or status with A3.

Or am I wrong? If you are already A3*S, then this should be more than enough to land you A3*G. Provided of course that all segments are in an earning fare class (i.e. in this case paid, not award or econ upgraded). Then you will in fact need only one paid domestic return trip (2 segments) with OA since your two segments in (2) already count towards your 4 A3/OA segments.

If you are not A3*S, then things are more complicated, as the order in which you take these flights matters. The best would be to take them in an order such that you have two A3/OA segments before you reach 12K miles. But even then the trips you describe are not sufficient to get you to G.

So starting from point zero, the minimum requirement for A3*G is:
1. 12K+24K=36K tier miles AND
2. 2+4=6 segments on A3/OA
provided that you take the flights in the appropriate order (see remark above). In your case you don't meet the first requirement.
thank you for taking the time
thatís correct
i am a millionaire in miles but without a status
so in order to get gold first you have to be silver and the collect the 24k for gold?
i thought you could do that directly, I guess I had that one the wrong way
the 2 return tickets of Olympic air will give me 1400 miles
the ATH-CAI-ATH will give me 3200 miles and the TK flight to Bali will give me about 15.400 miles more or less according to TK website
So I need to have another big one
bummer
jannosk is offline  
Old Apr 11, 19, 6:23 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by RedChili View Post
Also note that J class on TK only earns 100%. So if you're booked in J, you'll only get 14.3K for the CAI-DPS-CAI trip.
the post in their website that is 7700 miles each leg
jannosk is offline  
Old Apr 11, 19, 6:48 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: ARN, ATH
Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Posts: 231
Originally Posted by jannosk View Post
so in order to get gold first you have to be silver and the collect the 24k for gold?
i thought you could do that directly, I guess I had that one the wrong way



Exactly. As stated in the M&B website:
To upgrade from Silver to the Gold Tier, all you need to do is fly Aegean or Olympic Air at least four times and earn 24,000 Tier Miles within 12 months or collect a total 48,000 Tier Miles, regardless of which airline you choose to fly with. Whichever you do first will get you there.
meaning that these thresholds apply to M&B members you have already reached A3*S. Or at least that's my understanding.

Originally Posted by jannosk View Post
the ATH-CAI-ATH will give me 3200 miles and the TK flight to Bali will give me about 15.400 miles more or less according to TK website
I am not sure that this info can be actually on TK's website. May the figure you got applies to miles for Miles & Smiles (TK's FFP), not M&B. The relevant info, based on the fare class you book in, can be again found on M&B's website:
https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...ish%20Airlines

Most paid TK business class fares earn 150% on M&B, apart from J which earns 100% as mentioned by @RedChili. (I think that J is actually the fare bucket that upgraded econ tickets are reissued in, but I may be mistaken)
jannosk likes this.
East_and_West is offline  
Old Apr 11, 19, 6:50 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Programs: A3 *G
Posts: 27
Even cheapest TK business class flights from CAI book into K so it will be 150% flown distance.

I assume that ATH-CAI RT is positioning flight for CAI-DPS trip and ATH-CAI will take place before CAI-DPS and CAI-ATH after. I also assume that have 0 miles before first flight flight. Trip ATH CAI is paid business class ticket
I'm not sure how many miles will you get for 8 domestic segments (I assume 3000)
System will give you silver status on the date you made flight IST-DPS (1600 miles for ATH-CAI, 10825 miles for CAI-IST-DPS and two A3 flights).
From this day you will start to earn miles for gold status. You will have 10825 miles for DPS-IST-CAI and 1600 for CAI-ATH leg and miles left from silver (12000-3000-1600-10825 is about 3425. 10825+1600+3425=15850. 24000-15850=8150. It will remain 8150 plus 3 A3/OA flights as previous flight too place when you were blue or silver.
It would be better if you take at least 4 of your 8 OA flights after DPS trip. Then you will need just 8150 miles.
jannosk likes this.
tasma is offline  
Old Apr 11, 19, 7:03 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 27
The ticket class was K
i don’t really know what that means but they indicate 15000+ miles for TK miles program
i thought that was the same for everyone!
jannosk is offline  
Old Apr 11, 19, 7:10 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by tasma View Post
Even cheapest TK business class flights from CAI book into K so it will be 150% flown distance.

I assume that ATH-CAI RT is positioning flight for CAI-DPS trip and ATH-CAI will take place before CAI-DPS and CAI-ATH after. I also assume that have 0 miles before first flight flight. Trip ATH CAI is paid business class ticket
I'm not sure how many miles will you get for 8 domestic segments (I assume 3000)
System will give you silver status on the date you made flight IST-DPS (1600 miles for ATH-CAI, 10825 miles for CAI-IST-DPS and two A3 flights).
From this day you will start to earn miles for gold status. You will have 10825 miles for DPS-IST-CAI and 1600 for CAI-ATH leg and miles left from silver (12000-3000-1600-10825 is about 3425. 10825+1600+3425=15850. 24000-15850=8150. It will remain 8150 plus 3 A3/OA flights as previous flight too place when you were blue or silver.
It would be better if you take at least 4 of your 8 OA flights after DPS trip. Then you will need just 8150 miles.
Thatís very helpful, thank you
i have to make a different strategy
i need 8000 miles to get silver
I can do that before I will take the ATH-CAI flight
does that make any sense?
jannosk is offline  
Old Apr 11, 19, 7:13 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Programs: A3 *G
Posts: 27
Yes. It makes sense.
You'll need 24000 miles and 4 A3/OA flights.
ATH-CAI RT is 3200 miles plus 2 A3 flights
CAI-IST-DPS is 21650 miles
3200+21650=24850 so you will need 2 OA/A3 flights to be gold.
jannosk likes this.
tasma is offline  
Old Apr 12, 19, 12:27 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PAS, Paros Greece
Programs: A3 *G
Posts: 1,032
Is this trip set in stone and do you actually HAVE to fly TK? Do you need to be in CAI? I just ask because if the main purpose of the trip is to get as many miles as needed for A3*G (while travelling from ATH-DPS) there are probably better ways to earn more miles. For example Ethiopian offer 200% on all business class tickets and fly to a few points in SE Asia. You would have to connect at both ends but you'd earn around 30k miles just for the ET segments alone (FCO-ADD-KUL for example). The same would be true of SK (ATH-CPH-HKG would earn around 26k). Just a thought.
jannosk likes this.
Knobbgb is offline  
Old Apr 12, 19, 1:03 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ARN
Posts: 2,742
Originally Posted by East_and_West View Post
Most paid TK business class fares earn 150% on M&B, apart from J which earns 100% as mentioned by @RedChili. (I think that J is actually the fare bucket that upgraded econ tickets are reissued in, but I may be mistaken)
I had a ticket with TK a couple of years ago which booked directly into J. It was a very cheap ticket, so maybe the underlying fare was an economy with an upgrade to business. But I booked it on the TK web site and chose business class, so for the customer, it appeared to be a regular business class ticket.
jannosk likes this.
RedChili is offline  
Old Apr 12, 19, 4:15 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by Knobbgb View Post
Is this trip set in stone and do you actually HAVE to fly TK? Do you need to be in CAI? I just ask because if the main purpose of the trip is to get as many miles as needed for A3*G (while travelling from ATH-DPS) there are probably better ways to earn more miles. For example Ethiopian offer 200% on all business class tickets and fly to a few points in SE Asia. You would have to connect at both ends but you'd earn around 30k miles just for the ET segments alone (FCO-ADD-KUL for example). The same would be true of SK (ATH-CPH-HKG would earn around 26k). Just a thought.
Thank you for the info, didnít know Ethiopian was giving 200% miles!!
Cairo is the place that you can get the cheapest business class tickets
a return ticket to Bali will cost 1.300 euro from Cairo and 2.300 euro from Athens, so I can utilize the 1.000 euro to get more miles
that was my thinking but I should definitely look in to Ethiopian and SAS
Thank you for the advise
Have fun in Paros mate itís a beautiful island
jannosk is offline  
Old Apr 12, 19, 6:37 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London
Programs: *A G, OW S, ST Elite.
Posts: 737
Originally Posted by RedChili View Post
I had a ticket with TK a couple of years ago which booked directly into J. It was a very cheap ticket, so maybe the underlying fare was an economy with an upgrade to business. But I booked it on the TK web site and chose business class, so for the customer, it appeared to be a regular business class ticket.
FWIW TK do refer to J class as a business upgrade. I don't usually care as the mileage difference is not great but the cost can be often around Ä250 on a return from LHR - Turkey.
Dover2Golf is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread