Rebooked -> lost A3 segment

Old Apr 3, 19, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*S, A3*S, aiming for A3*G this year
Rebooked -> lost A3 segment

I was just denied boarding on A3 621 BRU–ATH for reasons that neither me nor the gate agent understand (this was meant to be the 2nd leg of a multi-city trip booked with SN and something somehow triggered a cancellation). I was now rebooked to the only suitable connection left for today on LH via MUC.

One of the reasons why I booked this trip was to get the two A3 segments necessary for A3*S before an intercontinental flight with SK in May that will earn me a lot of lost miles if I don't have the segments first. I will still get one segment on my flight back from Athens later this week (unless…), but that's not enough and I really don't like the thought of having to cram in another flight to Greece in the next 3 weeks.

Does anybody have experience with a similar situation? Is there any way to get A3 to count the LH rebooking as a segment as well? Who should I contact in that case?
Old Apr 3, 19, 5:09 am

It depends who is at fault for the cancellation. Emails to both SN and A3 customer services will be needed and see what they come back with. Also subject to whatever happened check out your EU261 eligibility.
Old Apr 3, 19, 5:38 am

Programs: A3 Gold
Since you were rebooked instead of having to buy a new ticket, it sounds like it was not your fault. I would first try to retroclaim the originally booked flight on the A3 website (although you may have to wait until two weeks have passed before you can do that). If that fails, contact A3 customer support and ask for original routing credit (ORC), according to the booked flight.

Try your utmost to get this sorted before your SK flight in May, otherwise it will be a lot more difficult to resolve (if those flights would go towards A3*S instead of A3*G). I spent months trying to get a flight retroclaimed a year or two ago, so I wish you luck!
Old Apr 3, 19, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks to the pointers so far. I wasn't at fault, so I will claim EU261 and expect a compensation of € 400 (denied boarding, >1500km, delayed arrival on the rebooked flight >4h).

Originally Posted by clifford79 View Post
Try your utmost to get this sorted before your SK flight in May, otherwise it will be a lot more difficult to resolve (if those flights would go towards A3*S instead of A3*G). I spent months trying to get a flight retroclaimed a year or two ago, so I wish you luck!
That's exactly my fear and your experience with retroclaiming makes me even more anxious. Might as well invest the compensation in a segment run then, instead of hoping to have things sorted out in time.
Old Apr 3, 19, 8:08 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Sounds tricky, good luck with your claim.

My strategy is to always get the 4 A3/OA flights out of the way towards the start of the year. If things start to go pear shaped with miles at the end of the year, at least there is the option to buy miles.
Old Apr 3, 19, 10:17 am

Programs: A3 *G
If this isn't sorted out in time, you can always delay crediting your SK flights in May. I know flights are credited on the day they were flown rather than when you actually claim them and thus delaying isn'tUSUALLY of any value, but this is one of the few situations where it WOULD be a benefit. Just hold back the May flights until after you are upgraded to silver and they should count towards your Gold qualification. Since you're not even Silver yet, there should be no down side of not having your M&B number on those SK segments as you have no benefits to lose - yet.
Old Apr 3, 19, 11:39 am

@nini_su: Instead of flying back to ATH when you have no time for that, and to be certain that you'll get your qualifying A3 flights, why don't you take an immediate turnaround to a Greek destination during your stay in Athens: Perhaps cheaper and certainly faster than from/to North/West?central Europe.
Old Apr 4, 19, 4:17 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
OP has already left Greece.
Old Apr 4, 19, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Knobbgb View Post
If this isn't sorted out in time, you can always delay crediting your SK flights in May.
Ha, didn't even think about that option, thank you! I think this is what I'm gonna do.

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
@nini_su: Instead of flying back to ATH when you have no time for that, and to be certain that you'll get your qualifying A3 flights, why don't you take an immediate turnaround to a Greek destination during your stay in Athens: Perhaps cheaper and certainly faster than from/to North/West?central Europe.
Also a good suggestion. I briefly looked into it, but even though it's a much more efficient waste of time, I don't want to waste at least half a day on it before I'm leaving Greece again on Saturday.
Old Apr 4, 19, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post
OP has already left Greece.
No he hasn't: 1) he wrote that happened yesterday and 2) he was going to stay for another three days.

Search this Thread