Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

From April 7th Hellenic Police will implement EU Regulation 2017/458

Old Apr 3, 19, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Announcement

Please be informed that as of April 7th, 2019, the Hellenic Police will implement EU Regulation 2017/458 which requires systematic checks against relevant databases, for all European citizens travelling to/from Non-Schengen destinations.

In view of the above, increased waiting times might be realized at check points, thus in order to ensure your timely presence at the departure gate, passengers travelling to Non-Schengen destinations are kindly requested to allow for extra time at the passport control for the checks to be conducted by the Hellenic Police.

To accelerate the checks, it is advisable to hold a passport document rather than an id card.

https://m.aia.gr
Old Apr 3, 19, 12:45 pm

Flew into ATH on a non-Schengen flight a few hours ago. Nice that the rule was not yet in effect, the policeman just threw a bored look at my ID card and that was it. My passport was somewhere deep inside my computer bag, it would have taken an archeological excavation to get it out.
Old Apr 5, 19, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

They did the same with me the other day. I do wonder what chaos awaits us though from 7th ! Also what is the deal with the 3 E Gates.They never seem to be open.
Old Apr 6, 19, 3:50 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by DELLAS View Post
Also what is the deal with the 3 E Gates.They never seem to be open.
I've only departed A gates once in the last year so all I know is that they weren't there a year ago but they were (and not being used) three weeks ago. Maybe it's because it wasn't busy - there were literally about 2 other people passing through the area at the same time and just one official on duty in a booth. Opening those gates would probably require at least two or three additional staff. In arrivals the E-gates have been in operation for around a year. I've used them on a few occasions but they were closed the last time I passed through (2 weeks ago).

I remember when this 'new' regulation was first implemented in late 2017. It caused chaos and was quickly withdrawn (after just a few days I think). Lets hope they're better prepared now.
Old Apr 6, 19, 4:07 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by Knobbgb View Post
I remember when this 'new' regulation was first implemented in late 2017. It caused chaos and was quickly withdrawn (after just a few days I think). Lets hope they're better prepared now.
It was actually 7 April 2017 (not "late" 2017) and there was a transitional period of 6 months which could be extended exceptionally to 24 months, so it looks like Greece decided to delay as long as possible.

How are they going to cope with fingerprinting all Americans and other non-EU citizens (part of EES)...

Search this Thread