Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting Athens as Star Alliance Gold

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Transiting Athens as Star Alliance Gold

Hello all:

Not quite sure where to post this, so thought I'd start with locals. I'm connecting in Athens from Air Canada to an Aegean flight to Cyprus. I'll then be connecting through Athens from Cyprus to Crete. The question is on whether or not I'll have lounge access. I'm Star Alliance Gold. I'm seeing something online that says Aegean lounges are not open to Star Alliance Gold passengers on Olympic Air. My flights were booked on the Aegean Web site and at least the first flight is an A321 but the code is OA.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:27 am

If you are not Aegean Gold, you will not have access to lounges either in Athens or Larnaca.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Shouldn't they be able to get into the Lufthansa lounge at Athens? (Cause the reason for no Aegean lounge is not status, but rather that you are flying Olympic Air). Otherwise, no. You can try talking your way into the Aegean lounge since you arrived on an Air Canada flight and are connecting and have status, but good luck.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam
Shouldn't they be able to get into the Lufthansa lounge at Athens? (Cause the reason for no Aegean lounge is not status, but rather that you are flying Olympic Air).
Olympic is not a Star Alliance member. To access a Star Alliance lounge (both Aegean, Lufthansa, and all other Star members), you need to depart on a Star airline. If you're not on a Star airline, it really doesn't matter whether it's Olympic, Ryanair, or KLM. There's no access to any one of them. A Star Alliance gold card doesn't help.

The reason why an Olympic biz passenger or Aegean Gold card holder gets access to the Aegean lounge is because Olympic is owned by Aegean, so that has nothing to do with Star Alliance.
LTN Phobia and Tokyoite like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Well explained above. To add first hand experience, I am Aegean Gold and could only get into the Aegean lounge when flying out on Olympic air. Was rejected by the Lufthansa lounge for this exact reason. The same would apply for Aegean lounge had I been a *G with any other program apart from Aegean M&B.
=>still applies even if the Olympic air flight is a codeshare with Aegean flight number. It’s the operating carrier that counts.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Bear in mind too that a service to Larnaca is extra-Schengen so the LH lounge would not be available in any event as you will be at the A gates rather than B.
Taten_R.O.C. likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
In June 2018, I was traveling to CHQ ( exact route: IST-ATH-CHQ ) with a party of 3. At that time I didn't hold *G status so I was waiting at the public areas. However, one of the other members in the party had a TK*G status at that time and was admitted to the A3 lounge in ATH before our flight OA336. Also he was able to guest somebody as he guested the 2nd member of our party where I was the only one sitting in the public area. However, the ticket and each segment of it contained A3 operated and marketed flights as well so it's not the same situation with the OP where both of his legs are OA operated flights.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:30 am

Turkish airlines has some kind of agreement with Olympic. So most probably Gold holders of TK can get to the lounge.

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-us/miles-and-smiles/program-partners/airlines/olympic-air/index.html
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Hmmmm. All this makes for an at-best confusing, and at worst quite inferior Star Alliance experience when flying what is supposed to be a Star Alliance company (i.e. I make a booking on Aegean Airlines, it's an Airbus A320 and apparently an OA code by "Operated Aegean Airlines"). When flying Air Canada or United, there is no distinction over whether you're flying a regional affiliate or a aircraft.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:42 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
See this thread: Is A3 using OA flight numbers to deny *A benefits?

Why are you flying ATH-Crete via Cyprus??
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:58 am
Original Poster

I'm not. "I'm connecting in Athens from Air Canada to an Aegean flight to Cyprus. I'll then be connecting through Athens from Cyprus to Crete." I have four days in Cyprus, and then I travel to Crete.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
A couple of years ago I noticed that Wikipedia listed Olympic as being a Star Alliance member, I subsequently removed that from the page. Recently I checked again and somebody has wrote that it's a Star Alliance affiliate. I believe that is also incorrect.

I can understand why this catches so many people out.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Duplicated due to weak internet connection
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
A couple of years ago I noticed that Wikipedia listed Olympic as being a Star Alliance member, I subsequently removed that from the page. Recently I checked again and somebody has wrote that it's a Star Alliance affiliate. I believe that is also incorrect.

You're right, very misleading, but unfortunately Star Alliance does not define "affiliate" in their site (at least, I couldn't find anything about it).
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by headingwest

Originally Posted by KLouis
You're right, very misleading, but unfortunately Star Alliance does not define "affiliate" in their site (at least, I couldn't find anything about it).
Unfortunately the Star Alliance wikipedia page is misleading passengers. Olympic Air is not the only non-member listed as an affiliate. Silkair, AnadoluJet, Thai Smile and Edelweiss ( and more... ) has the same problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.