Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting Athens as Star Alliance Gold

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Agreed KLouis and ISTFlyer, the Star Alliance website doesn't make it clear. The Wikipedia information is very misleading. Who is writing this stuff!?

I blame Star Alliance for not listing affiliates, like oneworld does.

https://www.oneworld.com/members/british-airways
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:31 pm

Who is writing this stuff!? In this particular case it was edited by a Wikipedia user called Wind of freedom at 22:08 on 8 April 2018.
trooper and :D! like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:51 pm

I read the Wiki page differently than you guys are. It says "Member" and "Affiliates" as two separate things. It never claims that the affiliates are members. It just lists the affiliates of each member airline. "Affiliate" does not mean "affiliate of Star Alliance," but "affiliate of an airline which is a member of Star Alliance." So, member airline Lufthansa has four affiliates: Air Dolomiti, Lufthansa Regional, Lufthansa CityLine, and SunExpress Deutschland. These four airlines are not Star Alliance members, and their flights are not Star Alliance flights, unless LH wet-leases one of their planes for their own flights.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by RedChili
I read the Wiki page differently than you guys are. It says "Member" and "Affiliates" as two separate things. It never claims that the affiliates are members. It just lists the affiliates of each member airline. "Affiliate" does not mean "affiliate of Star Alliance," but "affiliate of an airline which is a member of Star Alliance." So, member airline Lufthansa has four affiliates: Air Dolomiti, Lufthansa Regional, Lufthansa CityLine, and SunExpress Deutschland. These four airlines are not Star Alliance members, and their flights are not Star Alliance flights, unless LH wet-leases one of their planes for their own flights.
...and that's exactly why in none of these wikipedia pages is Star Alliance even mentioned. In OA's wikipedia page the exact wording is "Alliance: Star Alliance (affiliate)". To me at least this is a very clear statement. If someone unbeknownst to them takes that to mean that OA is an affiliate of Star Alliance, then I believe that the blame is not on them but rather on the person who used that phrasing. A more technically correct and less ambiguous way to write this would be something like:
FFP: M&B
Parent Company: A3 (or Holding Group: A3 Group [if applicable]).
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
=>still applies even if the Olympic air flight is a codeshare with Aegean flight number. It’s the operating carrier that counts.
I would say it is actually opposite of 'operating carrier that counts' with A3 and OA. Most of those flights to Cyprus are operated by Aegean but are considered 'Olympic' while Olympic planes operate several international routes like Zagreb or Istanbul, but those are considered Aegean and get *A miles.

But this whole thing has me wondering. What is to stop A3 from remaining as a *A member and keeping A3 codeshares with all of its *A partners but just calling all of their flights Olympic and never giving any *A miles or benefits to anybody? Because it is very clear that it has nothing to do with the planes or crew and really just seems like A3 is having their cake and eating it.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
I would say it is actually opposite of 'operating carrier that counts' with A3 and OA. Most of those flights to Cyprus are operated by Aegean but are considered 'Olympic' while Olympic planes operate several international routes like Zagreb or Istanbul, but those are considered Aegean and get *A miles.

But this whole thing has me wondering. What is to stop A3 from remaining as a *A member and keeping A3 codeshares with all of its *A partners but just calling all of their flights Olympic and never giving any *A miles or benefits to anybody? Because it is very clear that it has nothing to do with the planes or crew and really just seems like A3 is having their cake and eating it.
This has been discussed at length in a different, dedicated thread, there is no reason to "highjack" this one.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by East_and_West
In OA's wikipedia page the exact wording is "Alliance: Star Alliance (affiliate)".
Oh, my! That's quite bad.

There's actually a Wiki page called "Star Alliance affiliate members." See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...iliate_members

Olympic, SAS Ireland, Jazz, and TAP Express are listed on that page. Quite bad, since Star doesn't have any affiliate members at all.
East_and_West likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by KLouis
This has been discussed at length in a different, dedicated thread, there is no reason to "highjack" this one.

Couldn't you say that about this whole thread? Didn't realise my comment was 'highjacking'.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
It wasn't hijacking the thread -- it was dealing with the original topic that I posted.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, Marriott Platinum... Previously AC*SE100K, Star Alliance Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador
I am Air Canada Star Alliance Gold and booked a few flights on Olympic Air ATH->JTR, JMK->ATH and put my Aeroplan number in the booking. It recognized my Gold Status and gave me an extra free bag.

I'm hoping that I can get into the lounge in Athens, Santorini, and Mykonos!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by cager
I'm hoping that I can get into the lounge in Athens, Santorini, and Mykonos!
I don't think there is lounge access on the islands, if there is it's seasonal.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:04 am

In Greece, there are A3 lounges at ATH and SKG only. There's one in LCA too and Cyprus is indeed an island, but not a Greek one .
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Just back to reply that we had our trip through Athens to Larnaka (Air Canada Rouge, connecting on Aegean with separate tickets), then back through Athens to Crete (Aegean), and then again back home through Athens (on Air Canada Rouge). As a Star Alliance Gold member, we had no issue accessing the Aegean Lounge or priority boarding and had an absolutely wonderful time with the whole Aegean experience. I was pleasantly surprised.
headingwest, KLouis, yauee and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: A3
Originally Posted by RedChili
Lufthansa CityLine flights TPA-FRA have always earned full Aegean credit for me. Indeed the planes say: Star Alliance on the side rather than Lufthansa. As we discussed in 2015, CityLine planes are wet-leases and are "absolutely the same as LH for all practical purposes".
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24505727-post17.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.