Search

Norwegian to start ATH-NYC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:59 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Norwegian to start ATH-NYC

Not specifically Aegean news, but hopefully interesting to the people browsing here.

Norwegian is planning to start 4 weekly ATH-JFK service from July onwards. This will directly compete with the Emirates flight, and most likely at a (much) lower price point.

Its just a matter of Norwegian staying alive until July though...

As per airlineroute:

Athens – New York JFK eff 01JUL19 4 weekly 787-9
DY7029 ATH0755 – 1125JFK 789 37
DY7029 ATH0925 – 1255JFK 789 15

DY7030 JFK0030 – 1640ATH 789 26
DY7030 JFK1255 – 0505+1ATH 789 37
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Watch out for the special offers in Y from EK!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
So will Aegean follow suit, is that why this thread was started?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
No Aegean are certainly not . They are not going past the Mid haul range . Norwegian will not be making much money on this seasonal route either. Just wait until Q3 figures are released.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DELLAS
No Aegean are certainly not . They are not going past the Mid haul range . Norwegian will not be making much money on this seasonal route either. Just wait until Q3 figures are released.
Maybe Norwegian is hoping to get some cruise lines to tide it over financially and/or is desperately trying to grab the attention of some competitor airline’s backers for an investment (that is unlikely to happen given the UAE has been on a cutback spree when it comes to airlines). I can’t see Aegean/Olympic having any real worry about this, and starting US service because of Norwegian isn’t going to happen.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Hopefully they strike some sort of deal with the links of Wizz or Sky Express for domestic and other short haul connections.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
deleted

Last edited by headingwest; Feb 20, 2019 at 12:47 am Reason: did a bit more research
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Hopefully they strike some sort of deal with the links of Wizz or Sky Express for domestic and other short haul connections.
Although I could potentially see some advantage for the "unknown flyer" through a cooperation between Sky Express and Aegean (careful: Sky Express exists only because it flies several of the government-susidized routes in Greece) but I fail to see what the advantage would be if Aegean would strike some deals with Wizz Air: people would not even get miles, plus an LCC-like service.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I meant an agreement between Norwegian and Wizz and/or Sky Express not with Aegean proper.
Originally Posted by KLouis
Although I could potentially see some advantage for the "unknown flyer" through a cooperation between Sky Express and Aegean (careful: Sky Express exists only because it flies several of the government-susidized routes in Greece) but I fail to see what the advantage would be if Aegean would strike some deals with Wizz Air: people would not even get miles, plus an LCC-like service.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:04 am

Oooops, this being the Aegean forum I didn't think people would be discussing the presumed competition between Norwegian and Emirates. Or am I wrong again?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:22 am

In general yes but this specific thread is about DY's new flight so I mentioned a thought that would make it more successful while staying within the LCC standards. I don't see Aegean being a good partner since they aren't LCC and would cause more confusion.

Originally Posted by KLouis
Oooops, this being the Aegean forum I didn't think people would be discussing the presumed competition between Norwegian and Emirates. Or am I wrong again?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Maybe Norwegian is hoping to get some cruise lines to tide it over financially and/or is desperately trying to grab the attention of some competitor airline’s backers for an investment (that is unlikely to happen given the UAE has been on a cutback spree when it comes to airlines). I can’t see Aegean/Olympic having any real worry about this, and starting US service because of Norwegian isn’t going to happen.
the departure time from ATH is too brutal for cruise passengers. 11am and after is more cruise passengers friendly. The current schedule requires an overnight in ATH.

the departure time from ATH is more likely targeting ATH O&D market.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

They have missed the majority of contracts with cruise lines as these were done months ago with the major carriers on the route. The bulk of people have booked by now also. I really cant see them picking up much of that market.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Yep, it seems to me that this thread should be in the DY/Other European Airlines forum...

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
In general yes but this specific thread is about DY's new flight so I mentioned a thought that would make it more successful while staying within the LCC standards. I don't see Aegean being a good partner since they aren't LCC and would cause more confusion.
A3 has already codeshares with BT which is an LCC. Not to mention the likes of SK and SN that are also LCC in all but name. In these airlines you pay for luggage, seats, drinks, and snacks. In DY at least (semi-functioning) wi-fi access is free of charge.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chongcao
the departure time from ATH is too brutal for cruise passengers. 11am and after is more cruise passengers friendly. The current schedule requires an overnight in ATH.

the departure time from ATH is more likely targeting ATH O&D market.
I think they also missed the boat by not thinking about also making the timings work for those perhaps using other airline or even boat tickets to connect at ATH in one or both directions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.