Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

Ryanair to halt Athens-Thessaloniki flights from March.

Old Jan 14, 19, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Ryanair to halt Athens-Thessaloniki flights

Just days after being hit with negative publicity for redirecting a flight from London destined for Thessalonikiís Makedonia Airport to Timisoara in Romania due to the weather conditions at the Greek airport, Irish low-fare carrier Ryanair announced on Sunday that it will be halting its domestic service linking Athens with Thessaloniki.

The companyís last flight between Greeceís two main airports will be on March and ticket sales for flights originally scheduled from April onward have now stopped, Ryanair announced.

The airline is shifting its focus to international flights to and from Greece, maintaining just two domestic services, the Athens-Hania and the Thessaloniki-Santorini links.

Ryanair to halt Athens-Thessaloniki flights | Business | ekathimerini.com

Good news for Aegean but maybe not for passengers if the fares rise.
Old Jan 15, 19, 12:58 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Flying Blue Silver, Miles+Bonus Gold, BAEC Blue
a year ago another RYR flight from LTN to Plovdiv landed at TSR, at that time the bulgarian gov sent their A319 to bring the pax to Plovdiv... similar things were done in Romania as well (diverted to Constanta, pax were boarded into busses to Bucharest and the aircraft flew empty after 30min to Bucharest...).
Old Jan 15, 19, 1:02 pm

I guess the passengers diverted from Madrid to Barcelona should be grateful to Ryanair.
Old Jan 18, 19, 2:34 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Could this have something to do with reduced pax numbers due to improved road/train services between the two cities?

In any case I think Aegean is pretty pleased with Ryanair pulling out. Regarding the prices I agree that less competition is generally worse...however we have to keep in mind that e.g. the train is competition on this route as well. Most people I know that travel this route regularly go over land and do not fly. So prices cannot go up too much to stay competitive
Old Jan 18, 19, 4:06 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Just out of interest, as somebody not familiar with that part of the world, how long does it take by car or train?
Old Jan 18, 19, 7:02 am

Programs: A3*S, FB*S, AerClub*S, Hertz PC
Give or take 5-6 hours tops.
Old Jan 18, 19, 7:57 am

Time-wise it's about the same by train and by car/bus. There are 6 trains daily costing ~45€ (one way) or ~25€ (one way, slower night train) and 9 buses (~45 regular price). By private car one has to add ~31 € (one way) to the cost of gas/petrol for the 504 km between Athens and Thessaloniki. The train company says that the travel time will be reduced from 5.5 hours to less than 4 later this year. At that time I think that, other than the frequency of flights (>15 daily) there will be hardly any advantage for flyers...
headingwest likes this.
Old Jan 20, 19, 4:31 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
At <4 hours by train it is almost a no-brainer for people traveling center-to-center. It will take longer to first make the trip to ATH, wait for the flight, the flight itself and take the bus into the city after arrival. And flying wil generally be slightly more expensive.

Currently I think most people probably travel by bus. It's by far the cheapest option . When you buy a roundtrip the price goes down to ~33 euro one way, plus there are a whole bunch of people who get large discounts on that price (Kids, Students, disabled, police, army, etc). When flying I don't think these groups get discounts.
Alexandros Bravos likes this.
Old Jan 20, 19, 4:54 am
Original Poster

We have family in SKG and my Aunt goes there on a regular basis. She would not dream of taking a flight and always goes by bus.

Search this Thread