Incident at Hannover

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:11 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Incident at Hannover

https://www.nu.nl/buitenland/5655854...-platform.html

While the A3 flight was landing a person under the influence crashed through an airport fence and entered the runway, chasing the Aegean aircraft by car.

Story is still ongoing, airport has been closed, motives of the person are unclear so far. Probably has nothing to do with Aegean itself, but still in interesting (crazy) story!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:44 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
More details: https://www.protothema.gr/world/arti...e-se-diadromo/
Seems to not be much related to Aegean.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's Greek (or Dutch) to me, but someone would have to be really really drunk to chase a commercial aircraft with a car.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: A3 *G
It's almost certainly a coincidence that it was an Aegean flight involved. It seems strange that the airport is still closed six hours later. Surely if it's "just" someone who was high and broke through the fence and was immediately arrested, there's no reason to stop operations for that long!

I didn't realise what a quiet airport HAJ is (at time) - there was nothing due to arrive or depart for 30 or 40 minutes either side of the A3 flight. Indeed, that incoming aircraft was to have been the next departure. I suppose someone could have been waiting to chase that particular flight...
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There might be a rule that the airport must close until the fence is repaired or some other barricade provided since others could also access airside through the hole where the car drove through the fence. OTOH, one would think that stationing a few police officers (or military) near the hole would be good enough for now.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:17 pm

Latest from Germany where I am at the moment:
- Male, in his 20s, "European, no papers, and probably under influence of drugs (not further specified). Suspect was arrested.
- Starting from the time of the incident there were "about" 10 commercial flights at different stages of departure (i.e. just arrived, boarding, etc.) that were affected by the interruption of traffic.
- HAJ is operational again since about one hour.
I'll add more tomorrow if there's anything worth mentioning (which I really doubt).
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Crazy incident! It must be the sea birds flying in the realm of sunrise or sunset gives this disruptive guy an image to chase for paradise...[a badly attempted joke, sorry]
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:01 pm

A3 813 left less than 30 min. ago (a delay of more than 5 hours) and should land at ATH at ~1:10 am. All well that ends well, except for those who were thinking of taking the train to town) who'll have to now take a bus or a cab.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.