Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flights Credited in Incorrect Sequence - Affected Requalification for Gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:24 am
Original Poster

In November, I was Silver with M+B and booked a good number of A3/OA flights for the purpose of qualifying and requalifying for Gold.

However, a flight was upgraded with a coupon and was subsequently credited into M+B slightly later than it should have been. This affected my qualification and requalification, which I will illustrate below. Figures are approximate.

14 November - Four A3/OA flights taken, 1000 miles more to get upgraded to Gold.
15 November - Flight A taken - 1100 miles (upgraded flight)
15 November - Flight B taken - 220 miles
15 November - Flight C taken - 880 miles
17 November - Flights D and E taken.

If the flights were credited in the sequence they were taken, I would have been upgraded after Flight A as the miles would have crossed the threshold to Gold. Flights B, C, D, and E would then count towards requalification, and I would need no more A3/OA flights for the year for the lower-rate 12k miles requalification criterion.

However, Flights B and C were credited first instead. These two flights were used for qualification for Gold, and Flight A was credited afterwards for requalification. This meant that only Flights A, D, and E counted towards requalification, and I would need one more A3/OA flight in addition to the 12k miles for requalification.

Has anyone had experience with such a situation? I'm hoping that I do not have to take anymore A3/OA flight for the year as it is difficult for me to do so given my current location.

I have tried contacting customer service and they are refusing to make a manual adjustment to my account, even though it is their lacking IT system and not my fault that is causing the delay in crediting the flights. It is extremely disappointing as a customer who has the right to reasonably expect that flights will be credited in the sequence they were taken, if not later manually adjusted.

Hope someone can help!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by yuayua
In November, I was Silver with M+B and booked a good number of A3/OA flights for the purpose of qualifying and requalifying for Gold.

However, a flight was upgraded with a coupon and was subsequently credited into M+B slightly later than it should have been. This affected my qualification and requalification, which I will illustrate below. Figures are approximate.

14 November - Four A3/OA flights taken, 1000 miles more to get upgraded to Gold.
15 November - Flight A taken - 1100 miles (upgraded flight)
15 November - Flight B taken - 220 miles
15 November - Flight C taken - 880 miles
17 November - Flights D and E taken.

If the flights were credited in the sequence they were taken, I would have been upgraded after Flight A as the miles would have crossed the threshold to Gold. Flights B, C, D, and E would then count towards requalification, and I would need no more A3/OA flights for the year for the lower-rate 12k miles requalification criterion.

However, Flights B and C were credited first instead. These two flights were used for qualification for Gold, and Flight A was credited afterwards for requalification. This meant that only Flights A, D, and E counted towards requalification, and I would need one more A3/OA flight in addition to the 12k miles for requalification.

Has anyone had experience with such a situation? I'm hoping that I do not have to take anymore A3/OA flight for the year as it is difficult for me to do so given my current location.

I have tried contacting customer service and they are refusing to make a manual adjustment to my account, even though it is their lacking IT system and not my fault that is causing the delay in crediting the flights. It is extremely disappointing as a customer who has the right to reasonably expect that flights will be credited in the sequence they were taken, if not later manually adjusted.

Hope someone can help!
I think when you take three flights on the same day, you can't expect them to be credited in exactly the right order. I would consider them as the same for that purpose - i.e. I'd expect ONLY the date to be taken into account. I don't know if the actual flight time is used for mileage purpose. Having said that, the time/date the flights are credited shouldn't really matter anyway - it's the date the flight was taken that is important - that's the date that shows up in the system and is used to calculate qualification. So theoretically, flight B could have upgraded you to Gold and flight A still counted, but expecting that much of A3's notouriusly 'quirky' IT systems is a bit unrealistic in my opinion. I don't think you stand a chance of getting what you want/expect here, sorry.

I think you're actually quite lucky that ANY of the flights you took on the same day you qualified for Gold are going to be counted for re-qualification. If you'd asked me to predict what would have happened in advance I'd have said ONLY D and E would count and you'd need two more. In the bad-old-days when I qualified it was even worse. There was a two or three days gap before status was awarded and no flights in that time period counted for anything - sectors or status miles!
lhrpete likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
I agree with Knobbgb. Taking three flights in a single day and expecting them to credit in the right order is a lot to ask for.

Actually, considering that upgraded flights are known to take (much) longer to credit, I'd say this is pretty much on you. Of course Aegean's IT is quirky, but what you should've done instead is fly B, C, D, and E without your M+B number on the ticket and retrocredit instead. Being upgraded from Blue to Silver or Silver to Gold requires some manual entries on Aegean's side. At least that what it seemed like when I moved through the tiers. Once the tier has changed, everything is locked in. Hence, retrocrediting would've been the smarter move. Btw I got to gold by retrocrediting an OA flight that was missing due to irrops. When you're dependent on the order the flights are credited in that should generally be your best bet (in the case of M+B).

Of course you should keep bothering them and hope that they do change things but tbh I don't see why they should.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for this guys. Interestingly, on the page where it shows the flights credited, the flights are arranged in the correct order...
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:30 pm

Well, have you tried HUAKA-ing? It may work, now with the X'mas spirit. Of course, since you are now gold and all your flights have been credited, it may need a lot of charme to convince the agent (wo)manning the M+B line to do the necessary work because you think that you may not want (yes!) to fly A3/OA in the next 12 months...
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
Well, have you tried HUAKA-ing? It may work, now with the X'mas spirit. Of course, since you are now gold and all your flights have been credited, it may need a lot of charme to convince the agent (wo)manning the M+B line to do the necessary work because you think that you may not want (yes!) to fly A3/OA in the next 12 months...
The call agents cannot do much unfortunately, consistently asking me to send an email instead...
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:22 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
email them at [email protected]
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:17 am

When you get status, it is valid until a specified date, e.g. the gold card is valid until 15 March 2019. It's not valid until a specified time, e.g. gold card valid until 15 March 2019 at 16:35 in the afternoon. It would thus seem logical to me that all flights taken on a specified date belong to the same qualification period.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:19 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Perhaps, but when upgrading from silver to gold miles are supposed to carry over. So even if you only have one flight that qualifies you for Gold, the extra miles not needed should carry over.

Perhaps this is what happened for the OP? That the miles got carried over, but the A3-segment count did not (for the A3 flights taken before the Gold-Upgrade date)?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Well, you are out of luck IMHO. Better to manually credit flights if you are taking so many on the same date, and are counting EVERY SINGLE MILE to your requalification.
In this case, your energy might be better spent getting in another flight to push you over the top.
Asking A3 to "resolve your situation" is realistically speaking futile, since they cant realistically expect them to Manually override the systems (otherwise it would open up possibilities for staff to generate Golds via manual overrides).
If you MUST push this, then find a way to get them to remove all flight credits for flights A-E, return them back to the starnet pool, and then manually credit them one by one.
Getting a supervisor who would authorize all this work is the tough one.

Lastly, dont upgrade a flight if your Gold status life depends on that flight.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:13 am

if you dont complain about a system issues or the way their are programmed to work A3 will never know that this problems is a pain for some of its customers...
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by GBobon
if you dont complain about a system issues or the way their are programmed to work A3 will never know that this problems is a pain for some of its customers...
You are correct in this, but complain to A3 that you now have to take an A3 flight? Yes, one can do that, but I'm almost 100% certain that nobody will really listen...
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:38 am

They are people not machines and sometimes they understand your problems, specially when youre not the one who messed up things. be more positive.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:29 pm

There ia a lot of difference between being positive in this (and other) matter(s), which I am, being pragmatic, which I am too, and being otimistic, which I'm not necessarily. Although: it is X'mas time (see my previous post about the spirit) and OP was asked to send an email, which I assume he eventually did. Or not?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:08 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by GBobon
I agree with your statement, but I think this does not apply here.
Is this really a problem ? It is a feature, not a bug and honestly the expectations from OP are too much. I will not expect A3 to acknowledge this as a problem either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.