Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

A3 bizarre system error and even stranger explanation

Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador

So I have been trying to book a flight from Paris to New York on TP (Tap).

The problem is that TP flies from Orly (ORY) airport.

When you try to book ORY to JFK the system gives an error message.

I called A3 today and they insist this is because TP doesn't give A3 the ability to book through awards.. and that if I want to book this it has to be booked as two separate tickets ?!

I believe their explanation is ridiculous... that this is a system error. Any thoughts on this?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:02 am
Suspended

They could be right. To book a through ticket, the carrier must publish a through fare to the issuing carrier. If TP does not publish a fare for award between BOS and ORY/PAR, then A3 can not issue a single ticket with through fare.

I am not saying this is the case, but I am just trying to say that there is a pretty good chance that A3 is telling you the truth.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Except that Tap *does* publish a fare on this route...
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:42 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I don't understand how you reached the conclusion that PAR/ORY is the problem? By that logic, why is NYC/JFK not the issue?

There is logic in that ORY-LIS-JFK could be not available as an award, while the independent segments are available. It fully depends on how the operator publishes their availability. I believe that this phenomenon is called married-segments.

However...as you tried to book online as well (?), I would assume that the website showed availability for the full itinerary. So that would indicate that there is availability?

Perhaps call again, another operator may be able to book it for you..
Alexandros Bravos likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Very simple. You can book a ton of flights to and from JFK to Europe in either direction yet you cannot book ANY flights from the US to ORY. It gives a system error.
TP publishes a fare from many European cities to its US destinations.
Furthermore those awards are available on UA, LH, SK and AC. Why would TP a) sell these routings, b) offer these to all of its other Star Alliance partners and not A3?
Alexandros Bravos likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

To add to this-
TP shows availability from LYS, BRU, FRA, MUC, MAD, etc etc etc to JFK/BOS.
The ONLY city that generates an error is ORY.
So yes, I do believe it's a system error.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
To add to this-
TP shows availability from LYS, BRU, FRA, MUC, MAD, etc etc etc to JFK/BOS.
The ONLY city that generates an error is ORY.
So yes, I do believe it's a system error.
I don't have enough miles in my account to see the route A3 offered.

But, if I type in ORY, A3 system identify the Paris airport correctly. Then I typed LIS and JFK in 2 separate searches and both yielded positive result.

However, as I said, I don't have enough miles to see whether TP flight is listed.

That being said, if the system can identify ORY correctly, and it offers ORY to JFK as award flight in my searches on 8th and 9th May, it means A3 system is working until you book it. Have you called A3 again to see if another agent is able to offer a solution.

I can only offer advice from what I understand. Since my means are restricted due to lack of miles to see the route. Maybe you should give it another try? I see more flights are available to Boston than JFK. Have you tried BOSTON on TP? Maybe that will solve your puzzle?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

It does find ORY, never said that was the problem. It just doesnt like ORY In some pairs.

Try booking ORY to BOS on any date. Youll see what I am talking about. Doesnt work.

Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE, A3*G, AA-EP, UA*S,
I was able to proceed through to the payments page for a sample ORY-BOS flight for 2 March. Where does the message pop up?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

So glad some of you are so succeaful. .

Try August 2019 and let me know how it goes for you.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swgsword
I was able to proceed through to the payments page for a sample ORY-BOS flight for 2 March. Where does the message pop up?
So funny how FT has recently become ft- lets try to prove you wrong instead of lets help a fellow FT member figure out a problem. You have to wonder...

that aaid i will take screenshots and document this ad nauseum so it is utterly clear
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:40 pm

It works perfectly fine for me, flights ORY - JFK appear, and i reached the enter your payment details page with nonproblem.

Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:39 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
So glad some of you are so succeaful. .

Try August 2019 and let me know how it goes for you.
I’ve just tried for August and can also get to the payment screen.

This was:
A3 English language website
Safari on iPad
Searching for both one-way and return flights
Business Class

OP, are there specific dates and flights in August you’re trying to book that might be causing this, or perhaps displaying phantom availability?
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Dec 25, 2018 at 1:05 am
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Try Boston for August. Doesnt work.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:39 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
So funny how FT has recently become “ft- let’s try to prove you wrong” instead of let’s help a fellow FT member figure out a problem. You have to wonder...
How is anyone trying to "prove you wrong"? The first step in solving these sorts of problems is to try and replicate the problem.

Well, I just searched ORY to BOS oneway for 15 August and A3 website says there is no availability. There is availability for ORY to JFK, like the above two posters have found.

I also did a search with awardnexus and it did not find anything ORY-LIS-BOS in the middle of August. Maybe you can try Expertflyer or KVS.

As mentioned there might be married segment issues, for example once I could not get any award availability for HKG-LHR on BA yet when I changed the destination to LBA, there was availability for HKG-LHR-LBA on the same longhaul flight.
NWIFlyer, swgsword and nancypants like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.