Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

1 year of elite status extension benefit for new parents.

1 year of elite status extension benefit for new parents.

Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:29 am

A further update as I went ahead and did this. Was accepted and they added 24,000 tier miles (no award miles) to my account. I was already gold to November 2019, and now my Gold is retained until November 2020.
I assume in November 2019 my mileage will be back to zero, so I will have to meet the criteria for Gold in the November 2019 - 2020 period in order to retain Gold past November 2020. Thanks Aegean!
malmostoso likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by ukflyer1
A further update as I went ahead and did this. Was accepted and they added 24,000 tier miles (no award miles) to my account. I was already gold to November 2019, and now my Gold is retained until November 2020.
I assume in November 2019 my mileage will be back to zero, so I will have to meet the criteria for Gold in the November 2019 - 2020 period in order to retain Gold past November 2020. Thanks Aegean!
Same here for my wife (except that they added 23.013 tier miles since she already had 987 miles this qualification year). Gold until 11/2020, with requal period starting 11/2019.

Interesting side note: Baby was born in October (so *before* the newest period started), but since she applied now in March she received it for *this* year. Seems like that means there's potential to maximize the benefit based on when you apply rather than when the child is born.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Thanks ukflyer1 and o mikros for the data points.
By the way, congrats to both of you :-::-:!
GUWonder and ukflyer1 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: A3*S, FB*S, AerClub*S, Hertz PC
What kind of proof did you have to provide regarding the paternity leave duration?

As discussed earlier in this thread I had my paternity leave this January (10 working as per Irish legislation) and as this year I will not fly as much I'd like to see my chances retaining my tier.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by DUBBRU

What kind of proof did you have to provide regarding the paternity leave duration?

As discussed earlier in this thread I had my paternity leave this January (10 working as per Irish legislation) and as this year I will not fly as much I'd like to see my chances retaining my tier.
I sent a letter from company on headed paper which included the dates of my paternity leave (greater than required). As far as I am aware they did not followup with HR (who the letter was from).
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I suspect that their means to verify much of anything in this area is rather limited, so I can’t say I’m surprised they didn’t call up the company. Some employers would refuse to give out details of leave to a third party except when and where required by law to do so.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone working for non-EU employers outside the EU taken advantage of this?

We're expecting and if things go accordingly similar to the last time, I'll probably go on pat leave for 3-4 months middle of next year and would love to take advantage of this!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by YOWkid
Has anyone working for non-EU employers outside the EU taken advantage of this?

We're expecting and if things go accordingly similar to the last time, I'll probably go on pat leave for 3-4 months middle of next year and would love to take advantage of this!
I don't think there is anything related to EU or non EU related to this. As long as you fit the criteria - which it looks like you would - then you should be fine.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:04 am

I sent a letter from company on headed paper which included the dates of my paternity leave (greater than required). As far as I am aware they did not followup with HR (who the letter was from).
Thanks for the reply. I guess you took parental leave, not paternity, and A3 was ok with that.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: kayaker
Thanks for the reply. I guess you took parental leave, not paternity, and A3 was ok with that.
What's the difference? (Asking as a US-based flyer, sorry if this is obvious.)
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by o mikros
What's the difference? (Asking as a US-based flyer, sorry if this is obvious.)
Under the EU Social Rights Policy, the "paternity" leave -similar to maternity- is the paid short period leave taken immediately or up to 6 months from the baby's birth. Since 2017 it is obligatory for all EU member states to provide a minimum 10 days of paid paternity leave to fathers.

Parental leave reflects the period of leave that can be taken from either parent to take care of kids. Each parent in EU is entitled to a minimun of 4 months of parental leave to be taken until the kid turns 12. The duration of the leave, compensation if any, and the way to take the parental leave is defined in national level by each member state.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Under the EU Social Rights Policy, the "paternity" leave -similar to maternity- is the paid short period leave taken immediately or up to 6 months from the baby's birth. Since 2017 it is obligatory for all EU member states to provide a minimum 10 days of paid paternity leave to fathers.

Parental leave reflects the period of leave that can be taken from either parent to take care of kids. Each parent in EU is entitled to a minimun of 4 months of parental leave to be taken until the kid turns 12. The duration of the leave, compensation if any, and the way to take the parental leave is defined in national level by each member state.
The BRU in your FT name speaks for itself.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:46 pm

Interesting. I'm not currently EU based and wasn't aware of the differences.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: A3*G

I'm in a similar situation, with an extension to the family, a limited paternity leave (10 days as well) and far less flights this year and next (+ change on products on SN makes miles accumulation more difficult). So asking a bit what to do...

By any chance, did you ask to have your status retained even if you didn't take >3months ?

I'm wondering wether or there's some leeway on that and would not mind a data point
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:24 am

I filed the request to extend status for my wife more than a month ago following the procedure on the website, received a case number but haven't heard back. Is it worth chasing them or are more than 5 weeks standard procedure?

There's time until November so I'm not in a hurry, but anyway I'd rather have it done sooner than later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.