Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

1 year of elite status extension benefit for new parents.

1 year of elite status extension benefit for new parents.

Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by ukflyer1
Yeh, I've read the rules but I don't know what happens in practice - what does it mean. Has anybody here applied / used this initiative yet?
Why don't you apply to find out?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
And what about adoptions?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: kayaker
I agree with the above sentiment re there should not be a difference between mother and father.

I am trying to work out how this scheme works in practice. For example
- Child born in July 2018
- Gold Status was renewed in November 2018 and in place until November 2019

If the above person was to submit (and be approved) by A3 what would happen to renewal dates etc? Would A3 add 12 months from November 2019 to renew - making it November 2020? Or is it more complex than that...
Our situation is similar, and not hypothetical.

My wife has gold status that was renewed for the Nov 2018-2019 year, thanks to some travel in August/September. Due to the same travel, I have silver and am halfway to gold.

We had a child in October, and were wondering if we were going to be able to retain A3 status this year as a result. This news is welcome, but I really don't understand the practical execution. Is the tier status frozen for one year from date of application? Is it frozen until the child's first birthday? Does the status renewal period reset on the date of the birthday? What about progress towards a higher tier -- does that still expire at the 12-month mark?

In summary, a very nice benefit, but far more questions than answers.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by o mikros
Our situation is similar, and not hypothetical.

My wife has gold status that was renewed for the Nov 2018-2019 year, thanks to some travel in August/September. Due to the same travel, I have silver and am halfway to gold.

We had a child in October, and were wondering if we were going to be able to retain A3 status this year as a result. This news is welcome, but I really don't understand the practical execution. Is the tier status frozen for one year from date of application? Is it frozen until the child's first birthday? Does the status renewal period reset on the date of the birthday? What about progress towards a higher tier -- does that still expire at the 12-month mark?

In summary, a very nice benefit, but far more questions than answers.
I guess as @KLouis suggests - someone just has to try it and report back :-)
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: A3*S, FB*S, AerClub*S, Hertz PC
Does also the "tier hold" prevents you from advance?

I renewed my silver status in November, the same month my baby was born. I am thinking of applying for the benefit to have it as a safeguard and also because no major travels are foreseen for Q1/2 of 2019 besides 3-4 European A3 segments. Next September/October though I am planning to make some trips that will potentially advance me to gold.

Any thoughts on this?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DUBBRU
Does also the "tier hold" prevents you from advance?

I renewed my silver status in November, the same month my baby was born. I am thinking of applying for the benefit to have it as a safeguard and also because no major travels are foreseen for Q1/2 of 2019 besides 3-4 European A3 segments. Next September/October though I am planning to make some trips that will potentially advance me to gold.

Any thoughts on this?
The tier hold means Silvers can’t upgrade during the tier hold period and that flying during that hold period won’t result in counting toward a status upgrade.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

The tier hold means Silvers can’t upgrade during the tier hold period and that flying during that hold period won’t result in counting toward a status upgrade.
Thanks, it is a kind of gamble then

Although tbh, how many countries give paternity leave of >3months? I am based in Ireland and the paternity leave is 10 days. So I guess the vast majority of the fathers will be disqualified during the screening.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: kayaker
I guess as @KLouis suggests - someone just has to try it and report back :-)
I may just email or call them and ask. The advantage to speaking Greek is that I can most likely find someone who actually knows the correct details.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

H
Thanks, it is a kind of gamble then

Although tbh, how many countries give paternity leave of >3months? I am based in Ireland and the paternity leave is 10 days. So I guess the vast majority of the fathers will be disqualified during the screening.
Most of the countries to which A3 flies give paid paternity leave of 12 or more weeks?

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...aternity-leave

By that, looks like it’s better in Northern Ireland than in the Irish Republic.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by o mikros
I may just email or call them and ask. The advantage to speaking Greek is that I can most likely find someone who actually knows the correct details.
Do update the thread if you do this :-)
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:00 am

H

Most of the countries to which A3 flies give paid paternity leave of 12 or more weeks?

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...aternity-leave

By that, looks like it’s better in Northern Ireland than in the Irish Republic.
The map is not 100% correct, I am afraid it mixes paternity with parental leave, completely different concepts.

For example, according to the map fathers in Belgium and France are eligible for >3 months of paid paternity leave, in reality they are entitled to 10 and 11 days respectively.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The map is not 100% correct, I am afraid it mixes paternity with parental leave, completely different concepts.

For example, according to the map fathers in Belgium and France are eligible for >3 months of paid paternity leave, in reality they are entitled to 10 and 11 days respectively.
Good to know, thanks. What happens to the ability to take leave when being a father of children in France and Belgium in a situation where the mother dies or is otherwise incapacitated for more than a couple of weeks during or soon after child birth?

I find the A3 requirement to demand that the parental leave be paid parental leave if the A3*S/G is a father but not to demand the same for a mother to be completely wrong and messed up on so many levels. I say that as someone who has known of people, even of people over a century ago, who were cared for by just their fathers in the aftermath of child births gone wrong --some who had to give up their work related travel or other opportunities because of a young child.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 23, 2019 at 6:26 am
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:08 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I find the A3 requirement to demand that the parental leave be paid parental leave if the A3*S/G is a father but not to demand the same for a mother to be completely wrong and messed up on so many levels.
I don't see any requirement from A3 that the paternity leave be paid leave.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Wow, if I got this right from today's call, A3 is quiet generous with this status extension.

Here is how I understood it: When approved, you maintain your status until the usual status deadline without actually any need of flying anymore. Then you have the 1 year status extension. And after that, you retain your status during 1 more year. The status miles will be counted during that last period in order to keep your status the following year.

An example for (maybe) a better understanding:
  • March 2019: request approved, no more status miles needed to retain status
  • November 2019: usual status deadline (this deadline is different to everyone, I just took the one from those who are from the old generation )
  • from nov 2019 to nov 2020: the one year status extension
  • from nov 2020 to nov 2021: you keep the status, and during this year you need to earn again status miles in order to maintain your status after nov 2021.
In my understanding, you'd better request the one year status extension at the beginning of a new status year to finally get an almost 2 year status extension.

Anyone has received a different explanation regarding on how and when status miles start counting again?

Last edited by Artemio; Feb 27, 2019 at 2:56 pm Reason: .
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:03 am

I called them and the explanation was as follows:

- Status is gold though until November 2019
- Request and tier hold approved March 2019
- In November 2019 Gold is renewed for 12 months until November 2020 - this is the tier hold year
- November 2019 - November 2020 need to earn in order to renew for November 2020 onwards.

So different to your explanation @Artemio but to be honest the agent had to put me on hold and check things with someone and didn't sound overly confident. Regardless, its still a nice system as explained to me, although obviously better the way you explained! Will keep this updated with how it goes...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.