LH flight compensation

Old Dec 13, 18, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *S(A3), Marriott Plat, AS MVP, BA, AP, DL, KE
LH flight compensation

I recently flew from HKG-MUC in business class on an award ticket with a malfunction entertainment system, which left me not able to watch any movie for the entire flight. I e-mail to LH about this , and I was surprise to find out that they will give 8000 M&B miles, as I have my A3 FFP attached to my BP. I think the fair amount should be around 12000 miles.
For AC flights, they would just give me the 10% discount coupon.
Old Dec 13, 18, 6:03 pm

What do you base your idea of a "fair amount" on?
Old Dec 13, 18, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
What do you base your idea of a "fair amount" on?
I value A3 miles at 1.2c, and I think the fair compensation should be $150, so around 12k, or 12,500 miles to be exact.

What amount do you think is fair, Mr @KLouis ?
Old Dec 13, 18, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no compensation due for this. What you are looking for is a customer service gesture. That is in LH's sole discretion. You can complain about the amount and ask for more, but will likely be either ignored or told no.
Old Dec 13, 18, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
There is no compensation due for this. What you are looking for is a customer service gesture. That is in LH's sole discretion. You can complain about the amount and ask for more, but will likely be either ignored or told no.
I did not bother complaining for $50. Base on that info, if one does not get a meal, seat is broken etc. for a long haul flight, LH would not give compensation and has to rely on CS "gesture"
Old Dec 13, 18, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jma12 View Post
I value A3 miles at 1.2c, and I think the fair compensation should be $150, so around 12k, or 12,500 miles to be exact.

What amount do you think is fair, Mr @KLouis ?
Well, the posters in the "LH thread" on non functional IFE talk about compensations between 5000 and 15000 miles, and some of them talk about an additional 50 or 50 $. I personally always travel with a book or two plus a Sudoku "journal" so no big harm if the IFE goes on strike. In all those years of flying I've had 2 or 3 failures on TATLs with different airlines and I never thought about compensation.
Old Dec 13, 18, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Well, the posters in the "LH thread" on non functional IFE talk about compensations between 5000 and 15000 miles, and some of them talk about an additional 50 or 50 $. I personally always travel with a book or two plus a Sudoku "journal" so no big harm if the IFE goes on strike. In all those years of flying I've had 2 or 3 failures on TATLs with different airlines and I never thought about compensation.
Fair enough. I wonder if LH buys the miles from A3, and then deposit it in my account.
Old Dec 13, 18, 11:45 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
You say that Air Canada would give you a 10% discount voucher, but LH is offering to give you back more than 14% of what you paid in miles. To be honest that seems quite reasonable to me, or am I missing something!?

Old Dec 13, 18, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
You say that Air Canada would give you a 10% discount voucher, but LH is offering to give you back more than 14% of what you paid in miles. To be honest that seems quite reasonable to me, or am I missing something!?

Just wondering where did you get 55,000 miles from? I used 75000 aeroplan miles for this flight from HKG-MUC-YYZ. Also, 8000 M&B miles is worth $96 to me.
Old Dec 14, 18, 12:03 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Originally Posted by Jma12 View Post
Just wondering where did you get 55,000 miles from? I used 75000 aeroplan miles for this flight from HKG-MUC-YYZ. Also, 8000 M&B miles is worth $96 to me.
Sorry, I assumed that you booked using M&B miles (as you said A3 FF number was on the PNR).

That said, 8,000 A3 miles are equivalent to 14.5% of an A3 HKG-MUC booking, so it still seems reasonable to me. I'm not criticising, just saying what I think.
Old Dec 14, 18, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
Sorry, I assumed that you booked using M&B miles (as you said A3 FFB was on the PNR).
I removed the AP number, and added my A3 in case of IIROP. Not sure if it would help for award flight.
Old Dec 14, 18, 1:55 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
I think you've got a more than fair settlement here.

If I contrast with British Airways, with whom I also hold Gold status, the very most I could ever expect for a faulty IFE is 5,000 Avios, perhaps 10,000 at a push if travelling in First and going down the line of serial complaining via the Gold status line. That's effectively a BA to BA internal transaction, so cheaper for the airline than buying another 'currency', on which BA would value an Avios at 0.6p - so somewhere between 30 and 60.

Now the reality is that most people would value an Avios at around 1p for redemptions, but that still only amounts to somewhere between 50 and 100.

To put it in further perspective, how many movies could you reasonably have watched over the course of the flight? Four, maybe? Five at an absolute push, I'd suspect. In the UK it typically costs about 6 to watch a film at the cinema, so if you put it in monetary value terms you really shouldn't have got more than $40 worth of miles.
Old Dec 14, 18, 2:49 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer View Post
I think you've got a more than fair settlement here.

If I contrast with British Airways, with whom I also hold Gold status, the very most I could ever expect for a faulty IFE is 5,000 Avios, perhaps 10,000 at a push if travelling in First and going down the line of serial complaining via the Gold status line. That's effectively a BA to BA internal transaction, so cheaper for the airline than buying another 'currency', on which BA would value an Avios at 0.6p - so somewhere between 30 and 60.

Now the reality is that most people would value an Avios at around 1p for redemptions, but that still only amounts to somewhere between 50 and 100.

To put it in further perspective, how many movies could you reasonably have watched over the course of the flight? Four, maybe? Five at an absolute push, I'd suspect. In the UK it typically costs about 6 to watch a film at the cinema, so if you put it in monetary value terms you really shouldn't have got more than $40 worth of miles.
You've not been to the cinema in a while, have you?
:D! likes this.
Old Dec 14, 18, 2:54 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
I'm surprised that LH is willing to buy miles from a different FFP as a service gesture. Are there any other reports of this happening (with any airline)?

All the talk about hypothetical valuations is irrelevant. You may think fair compo is $150 and an A3 mile is worth 1.2 cents (American??); meanwhile, LH of course works in euros and may think fair compo is €60 and an A3 mile is worth 0.75 euro cents. What exchange rate is appropriate?

The price of cinema tickets in the UK seems even less relevant to a flight involving Hong Kong and Germany. For one thing I get 12 free UK cinema tickets per year from my Lloyds current account. A cinema screen (shared with up to 100-200 others and with the 30 minutes of pre-show ads in the UK!) is in no way comparable to on-demand personal TVs. However, BA should pay me compo for the lousy 7" screens they still have on the 772 in CW...
Old Dec 14, 18, 3:32 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac View Post
You've not been to the cinema in a while, have you?
This is probably true. If I did I'd never have anything to watch when travelling!

You've not been to Norfolk, UK for a while either though, have you? . It's 5 on a Monday for the latest films in the largest cinema in Norwich. My local, much smaller, less competition one is 8.

Besides, the sort of films you typically get are available to hire on Amazon Prime for either nothing or well under 5.

I don't believe we're talking about Odeon Leicester Square Film Premiere movies being available on any airline's IFE here, so 40 comparisons may not be relevant!
Stewie Mac likes this.

Search this Thread