Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Be careful if booking with Expedia (and wanting to upgrade using vouchers)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Be careful if booking with Expedia (and wanting to upgrade using vouchers)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:53 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Both types are open jaws, and are generally based on a roundtrip ticket as far as I know.

XXX-ATH-YYY could theoretically be a one-way, but only if the stop in ATH is < 24hours (Or the one-way fare allows stopovers, which generally they do not).
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: A3*G, IB
Originally Posted by palcsaky
I have also noticed recently that those cheap open jaw tickets between 2 northern European cities with a connection in Athens are no longer bookable anywhere. Even if an OTA shows a price it displays an error at the ticketing stage. It’s a shame as it was a great way to earn 4 segments as well as loads of miles cheaply
Just a summary of my recent experiences concerning this thread:

Was able to book ZRH-ATH-BCN for June under A3's current promotion "Flights through Greece with up to 30% off" on expedia.es. Booking class K shown throughout the booking process and also ticketed like that. A3 website would only let me book in V/V for 80EUR more (and maybe would have showed an error if I proceeded). I have never been able to book those "married segments" fares on the A3 website,

Last week (before the promotion) I checked ZRH-ATH-VIE on expedia. First, an S fare for about 150EUR was displayed. When selecting the flight to book, the price went down to 130EUR and the booking class changed to J! Under the current promotion, S class remains and shows as 127EUR. So, it seems that S class minus 30% is cheaper than this OTA special fare J (which obviously does not get any further discount).

As the title of this thread says, please be careful when booking with an OTA. But it is definetely still possible to book those XXX-ATH-YYY fares from the last years.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Thanks for the heads up. Specifically the Expedia Y-class is a tricky one; If important to you I would contact expedia: They delivered something other than what you booked.
Not an easy task, but I think there has finally been a satisfactory conclusion.

I e-mailed Expedia twice, but received no reply. So about a month ago I phoned them. They told me that it was an issue with Olympic Air because they had changed the booking after purchase (but I knew that was rubbish), and I was told to call Olympic to query the change. Of course, Olympic insisted that it was an issue with Expedia, as the fares that I bought were P class and not Y. They also said that in Y it would have cost £300, which I already knew.

The next day I called Expedia again and explained that it was their problem to deal with as they had sold me the tickets. Initially they tried to fob me off with a reassurance that the flights were in the same cabin, whether Y or P, and it didn't make any difference. When I told them that the purpose of buying was to upgrade with the airline and that I wanted what they advertised, the agent said he'd contact the airline and call me back. A little later I got a call and the agent explained that it must have been a technical fault, and that he'd pass it on to the technical department to deal with. He said that they would call me within a week....but I heard nothing for 3 weeks.

This morning I called them again and made it clear that I had waited long enough and I wanted a resolution today. After putting me on hold for a few minutes the agent came back and apologised for the fact that I'd had to wait so long for this to be resolved, he then offer me a refund of £50. As I'd paid £57.07 for the flights I insisted that I should receive the full amount, to which he finally agreed. Then to my complete surprise he said that he'd also leave the booking intact, that I could take the flights if I desired. I must admit, I was a little flabbergasted! I've already received the e-mail confirming a full refund and the flights are still confirmed.

I had resigned to the fact that I'd just accept a refund and spend 2 days in Athens instead, but as it stands I'll be exploring a new place after all. I have to admit my expectations of Expedia's customer services were rather poor, but they have certainly proven me wrong. 2 bookings, one advertised as J class which I was able to cancel for a full refund on the day of booking, and this second booking (which was incorrectly advertised) also refunded in full PLUS they let me keep the flights. Top marks to Expedia for customer service. ^
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:09 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Thats a nice result. I suspect they had to leave the original booking intact; as Aegean would likely not be refunding them anything. Therefore It would have no use for them cancelling the flights and this way at least they'll have a happy customer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.