Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Be careful if booking with Expedia (and wanting to upgrade using vouchers)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Be careful if booking with Expedia (and wanting to upgrade using vouchers)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:15 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
@headingwest, afaik nope on priceline but on ther OTAs (seat24 or something like that)
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:06 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I use Amex Travel UK for all my bookings departing from somewhere other than the UK, when I want to pay in GBP, because it converts the currency at the IATA rate and I get bonus Amex points.

So far my A3 tickets booked through Amex Travel UK have all been in the advertised booking classes and were eligible for upgrade (though not always successful in clearing waitlist).
palesky likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by :D!
So far my A3 tickets booked through Amex Travel UK have all been in the advertised booking classes and were eligible for upgrade (though not always successful in clearing waitlist).
But why do they show the Adria Airways logo?!

Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
The reply from Aegean customer services...

''I would like to note that the barter tickets are tickets of special offers. Based on the offer of your Travel Agency, these tickets had no fare, and only the taxes were charged.

At this point, I would like to note that it does not have to do with the fare of the ticket. Normal, no barter tickets, under J Class, do earn miles. The specific ticket did not accrue miles, due to the category of the ticket, not the booking class. Regarding the information you received while booking your ticket, you may contact your Travel Agency.

I regret for the less than positive impression gained, due to the fact that these tickets do not accrue miles.''

So they are saying that J fares sometimes do collect miles and are ugpradeable. But how are we supposed to know when!?!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by headingwest
{...}
So they are saying that J fares sometimes do collect miles and are ugpradeable.
So, this means that there are tickets on J fare that are not "barter"? Although this doesn't mean anything, I 've never come across such fares while booking directly on A3's / OA's websites, or on any other OTA for that matter... Can someone confirm earning miles for flying A3/OA on a J ticket?

But how are we supposed to know when!?!
By flying on a J ticket, and checking your account a couple of days later. If no miles are posted then, this would be a strong indication that is one of the non-upgradeable/non-earning J's...
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:11 am

I will tell you in one month. Since J is on the earning chart, I expect that there will be miles credited. Otherwise, I will complain
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:23 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
A good indication would be if the flight is significantly cheaper than an S fare. In that case it will likely be a special kind of fare.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry_greece
I will tell you in one month. Since J is on the earning chart, I expect that there will be miles credited. Otherwise, I will complain
This is exactly the point. If J sometimes isn't upgradeable, nor earn miles, it should be listed as such on the vouchers and earning chart.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:23 am

Happy to report that my J-booked through expedia-ultra-cheap ticket was credited based on the 100% of the distance.
headingwest and palcsaky like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by headingwest
But why do they show the Adria Airways logo?!

Because A3 = A-Tria
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:20 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
So, Amex Travel occasionally has problems with getting availability in cheaper booking classes, which can be good for A3 because it may offer S, K or L class even when A3 is selling U, P and T on its own website. That's what I did in the past.

Yesterday I found an acceptable fare on Amex Travel in U class, so I clicked BOOK NOW but it failed.

What's more, I found the same fare on A3's website with 1 seat remaining (yet I class was available on the award search), so I thought I might as well just book it direct in case someone else stole it.

For some reason it wouldn't book on A3.com either. I tried selecting Flex (and paying more) but it still wouldn't book. I tried some other OTAs and all of them also failed at the final stage...

Lastly I tried Expedia.ie which showed the same fare, but at the final stage it said the price had gone up by €19 and asked if I still wanted to book. I noticed the booking class had changed to S, which meant that I would now be able to upgrade!

(Expedia.com and expedia.co.uk, for some reason, used a bad exchange rate for USD and GBP, something like 3 or 4% worse** so I went with the Irish site and got 1% cashback on topcashback.)

So in an opposite state of affairs to the OP, Expedia sold me an upgradeable fare that I wasn't expecting and booking direct didn't even work.

Unfortunately, I was put on the waiting list for upgrade (despite availability showing), and this is a popular route so the chances aren't good.

P.S. Amex Travel used to list A3 as "Cronus Airlines" but they finally fixed it; they also took many years to add Premium Economy as an option on the main search form, so it may be a while before they get the logo right.

**GBP has just risen to €1.14 from €1.11 so it might have been as bad as 7-8% (doesn't happen with Amex Travel)
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: A3G, BA Silver, LH FT
I have also noticed recently that those cheap open jaw tickets between 2 northern European cities with a connection in Athens are no longer bookable anywhere. Even if an OTA shows a price it displays an error at the ticketing stage. It’s a shame as it was a great way to earn 4 segments as well as loads of miles cheaply
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by palcsaky
I have also noticed recently that those cheap open jaw tickets between 2 northern European cities with a connection in Athens are no longer bookable anywhere. Even if an OTA shows a price it displays an error at the ticketing stage. It’s a shame as it was a great way to earn 4 segments as well as loads of miles cheaply
Open jaw between two cities? Give me an example...
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: A3G, BA Silver, LH FT
LHR-ATH-AMS, AMS-ATH-LHR, LHR-ATH-BUD, LUX-ATH-LHR, DUB-ATH-LHR etc
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:18 am

What I thought: these flights are not open jaw flights but one-way non-stop flights via ATH. The open-jaw flights are "return" flights whereby the return segment does not start where the outgoing arrived. Two examples: [LHR-ATH]-[SKG-LHR] or [FRA-HER]-[JTR-FRA]. There are some who also include "return" flights whereby the return segment goes to an airport near the original deparure one, here would be two examples LHR-ATH-STN or DUS-ATH-CGN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.