Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Lounge access on OA operated flight from IST

Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:24 pm
formerly kiwi_norway
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC

I have an upcoming flight to Athens via IST, and as an A3*G member, I assumed I’d have lounge access during my 6 hours in Istanbul. However I’ve just spotted that the IST-ATH sector is “operated by Olympic Air”.

It seems this flight (A3 993) is marketed solely as an A3 flight (never shown with an OA flight number, to the extent that even if you book it via Olympic's website, it's sold as an A3 flight)), but they switch between using A3 metal and OA metal day by day. From everything I see, for all intents and purposes it is an A3 flight.

In this situation, what’s the lounge policy? Does anyone have any *A lounge access experience flying an A3 marketed flight on OA metal? As long as the boarding pass lists the flight as A3 993, is that sufficient to fall on the correct side of the lounge policy?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:11 pm

Yes, you do get all B+M Gold benefits as this is a bona fide A3 flight flown by OA planes as a wet lease. Enjoy the IST lounge!
FlyingFilmGuy and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:12 pm
formerly kiwi_norway
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Originally Posted by KLouis
Yes, you do get all B+M Gold benefits as this is a bona fide A3 flight flown by OA planes as a wet lease. Enjoy the IST lounge!
Thanks KLouis!
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:34 pm

It seems that the new lounges at the new airport will not be as nice as the current one so enjoy it. If rumors are to be believed.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DELLAS
It seems that the new lounges at the new airport will not be as nice as the current one so enjoy it. If rumors are to be believed.
That would be a big shame. I spent 11 hours there a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it!!

Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: A3 *G
I'd be interested to know what the rumors are. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I'm just surprised. I'd have thought that Turkish, with the aspirations they seem to have - to be even bigger and better, maybe the next mega-airline like Emirates, would be taking this opportunity to make the new lounge(s) even MORE outstanding than the current one. Anything less than what's currently on offer would just generate negative publicity. With a clean-sheet to work with, I'd hoped they had something pretty amazing in the pipeline. Off to the Turkish/Instanbul forum to see what's going on there...
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Yes, the IST lounge is very impressive: from lockers, to aspect, to food and libations. As a Type 1 diabetic, I manage to ignore the desserts and instead have the protein-rich dishes and veggies, which are eye-appealing too. Nice red wines always on offer too. I naturally, for my own longevity, pick my dietary "battles" and have done so as an IDD for the last 54 years. The variety offered by TK in the IST lounge makes this battle much easier than some other lounges on this planet. For example, the crisps and beer in LVI can be ignored by moi, the next time I am there FWIW, all A3 lounges I have been in have made my dietary battle pretty easy too....

Originally Posted by headingwest
That would be a big shame. I spent 11 hours there a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it!!

Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by tmac100
...{snip}...For example, the crisps and beer in LVI can be ignored by moi, the next time I am there ...{snip}...
I guess LVI stands for some Istambul TK lounge-linked abbreviation as I can't imagine that you fly often to LVI (Harry Mwanga Nkumbula International Airport) in Zambia
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Yes, LVI in Zambai. I mention LVI because of my comment about how the TK lounge in IST airport has a much better way of treating the dietary needs of IDDs like myself, than other airport lounges on this planet.

The OW lounge (only one at LVI - I think) leaves a LOT to be desired. BUT with the windows and doors open, who needs air conditioning
:D! likes this.

Last edited by tmac100; Jan 25, 2019 at 12:51 am
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: THY Elite Plus, Aegean Gold, LH FTL. Former BA Gold, Air France Platinum, Czech Gold, United PE.
By all accounts, TK are providing two different lounges at the new Istanbul airport. One will be for international business class passengers and TK E+ (Platinum) passengers, and this can be expected to be at least as good as the current lounge. A downgraded service will be provided in a second lounge for TK Elite and other *G passengers, as well as perhaps for domestic business class passengers. So A3*G economy passengers need to enjoy the current lounge while the opportunity still exists.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by johnirvine
So A3*G economy passengers need to enjoy the current lounge while the opportunity still exists.
Yep pretty much it was good while it lasted in current IST but the current level enjoyed by all will be indeed be reserved for their own Premium and high Tier members only. The lounge for *G will be less catered also according to people at TK I have spoken to. Time will tell.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:49 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
doesnt sound good
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Yep pretty much it was good while it lasted in current IST but the current level enjoyed by all will be indeed be reserved for their own Premium and high Tier members only. The lounge for *G will be less catered also according to people at TK I have spoken to. Time will tell.
Pretty much the only reason I book Turkish Airlines is because the lounge is so nice. As the tickets I book earn zero miles with Miles+Bonus, it sounds as if I'll be spending my money elsewhere in the future. That is, of course, if the reports we're hearing turn out to be indeed true.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by headingwest
Pretty much the only reason I book Turkish Airlines is because the lounge is so nice. As the tickets I book earn zero miles with Miles+Bonus, it sounds as if I'll be spending my money elsewhere in the future. That is, of course, if the reports we're hearing turn out to be indeed true.
Me too. Although the inflight product is pretty good too, but it's not worth it for me if there is a mile-earning option I can take instead.

I'm not sure how true this will turn out to be. After all, other carries tend to allow *Gold members into the 'highest tier' of lounges they have (OK, not first class lounges). Lufthansa is a prime example, allowing their own Business Class pax. into only the Business lounge while ANY *G can access the superior Senator lounges. This is also the case at the LOT lounge in WAW (which is quite nice actually) - there is an 'inner sanctum', accessed from within the main lounge, with better food and drink options to which *G holders are admitted but not non-status Business class pax.

Isn't it kind of a Star Alliance rule that all Golds are allowed into all member lounges? If airlines start to discriminate between their own elites and other programs, what's to stop them having different rules for different programs too, and more to the point, why haven't they done so already if what is said is true - that some airlines see members of other programs as totally inferior.

I'm flying out of ISL in a couple of weeks (32 Euro for a domestic business class points-earning flight vs. 60 Euro for an economy non-earning flight from IST). I don't think the lounges will be full ready by then, but I'll have a look around and ask some questions.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:10 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
This is also the case at the LOT lounge in WAW (which is quite nice actually) - there is an 'inner sanctum', accessed from within the main lounge, with better food and drink options to which *G holders are admitted but not non-status Business class pax.
You can use their executive lounge only when travelling in J intercont with LOT, I flew in the past month via WAW a couple of times, Europe Y, and they didnt let me in, same applies to all United Polaris lounge, you can access them only if you fly J, *G travelling in Y are allowed only in United Clubs

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.