Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Lounge access on OA operated flight from IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access on OA operated flight from IST

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by GBobon
You can use their executive lounge only when travelling in J intercont with LOT, I flew in the past month via WAW a couple of times, Europe Y, and they didnt let me in, same applies to all United Polaris lounge, you can access them only if you fly J, *G travelling in Y are allowed only in United Clubs
Aren't you referring to Fantazja? Knobbgb was referring to Polonez (the elite section), which you definitely don't need to be travelling in J to access - any *G on *A will do.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:19 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
I was in Polonez, access granted only in the main lounge, cannot access the elite one (in december and beginning of Jan). will try again soon
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by GBobon
I was in Polonez, access granted only in the main lounge, cannot access the elite one (in december and beginning of Jan). will try again soon
Yeah, it's around 18 months ago that I was there so it could have changed. The main lounge is fine anyway. I just had a slightly more extensive breakfast and I remember lots of nice cakes and other sweet treats that weren't available outside. Anyway, this is really off topic now, sorry.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Sadly, the coffee is lousy whichever part of the Polonez lounge you're in!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
Me too. Although the inflight product is pretty good too, but it's not worth it for me if there is a mile-earning option I can take instead.

I'm not sure how true this will turn out to be. After all, other carries tend to allow *Gold members into the 'highest tier' of lounges they have (OK, not first class lounges). Lufthansa is a prime example, allowing their own Business Class pax. into only the Business lounge while ANY *G can access the superior Senator lounges. This is also the case at the LOT lounge in WAW (which is quite nice actually) - there is an 'inner sanctum', accessed from within the main lounge, with better food and drink options to which *G holders are admitted but not non-status Business class pax.

Isn't it kind of a Star Alliance rule that all Golds are allowed into all member lounges? If airlines start to discriminate between their own elites and other programs, what's to stop them having different rules for different programs too, and more to the point, why haven't they done so already if what is said is true - that some airlines see members of other programs as totally inferior.

I'm flying out of ISL in a couple of weeks (32 Euro for a domestic business class points-earning flight vs. 60 Euro for an economy non-earning flight from IST). I don't think the lounges will be full ready by then, but I'll have a look around and ask some questions.
You are perhaps mistaken in your views about Star Alliance rules on lounge access. Please try accessing a UA Polaris lounge in the US with your A3*G card when flying economy and see what response you get. If flying TG economy at BKK, try checking in at the business class counters - they will direct you to the 'special' *G counter. When flying economy with UA, you will be boarded as third priority.

Several Star Alliance airlines are now doing the minimum to meet their obligations to *G economy passengers under Alliance rules. They have to provide 'priority' check-in but this does not have to be the same as that for business class or for their top elites (i.e like LH HON, UA 1K or TK E+ which are above standard *G status). Similarly, with lounge access, all they need to do is provide a lounge. With the new ISL airport, TK will treat their own basic TK*G 'Elite' passengers exactly the same as other economy *G passengers - they will get their own more basic lounge facilities. What is discriminatory about this? The more upmarket TK lounge facilities will be reserved for international business passengers and their own Elite Plus (Platinum) customers flying economy. At present, there is a lot of criticism among TK E+ passengers about the high degree of congestion in the current IST lounge: many people will be extremely happy that, for example, A3*G passengers who can requalify by flying a mere 12,000 miles will now be using a separate lounge. The same criticism is often voiced by LH SENs about basic level *G access to Senator lounges and undoubtedly changes in this policy can be expected in the future.
GBobon likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by johnirvine
You are perhaps mistaken in your views about Star Alliance rules on lounge access. Please try accessing a UA Polaris lounge in the US with your A3*G card when flying economy and see what response you get. If flying TG economy at BKK, try checking in at the business class counters - they will direct you to the 'special' *G counter. When flying economy with UA, you will be boarded as third priority.

Several Star Alliance airlines are now doing the minimum to meet their obligations to *G economy passengers under Alliance rules. They have to provide 'priority' check-in but this does not have to be the same as that for business class or for their top elites (i.e like LH HON, UA 1K or TK E+ which are above standard *G status). Similarly, with lounge access, all they need to do is provide a lounge. With the new ISL airport, TK will treat their own basic TK*G 'Elite' passengers exactly the same as other economy *G passengers - they will get their own more basic lounge facilities. What is discriminatory about this? The more upmarket TK lounge facilities will be reserved for international business passengers and their own Elite Plus (Platinum) customers flying economy. At present, there is a lot of criticism among TK E+ passengers about the high degree of congestion in the current IST lounge: many people will be extremely happy that, for example, A3*G passengers who can requalify by flying a mere 12,000 miles will now be using a separate lounge. The same criticism is often voiced by LH SENs about basic level *G access to Senator lounges and undoubtedly changes in this policy can be expected in the future.
That does make sense. I think I based my assumptions on the fact that LH do indeed offer this kind of access combined with their reputation for offering the bare minimum they can get away with. I've not traveled in the US since I became *G so that's news too. Access to the UA lounge at LHR when in short-haul economy has never been a problem though - indeed it's the one I use most.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.