Miles accrual ARN > CPH

Old Nov 1, 18, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Miles accrual ARN > CPH

Dear flyers

I was looking at the miles accrual for Aegean. I'm flying with SAS this time. It states the following:
Economy Class
Booking Classes: A, J, Y, S, B, P
Accrual Factor: 200%
Minimum miles: 1200

So for a flight ARN > CPH booked in A, which is about 300miles, you will get 1200 minimum miles either anyways?

Thanks for the help!
Old Nov 1, 18, 4:38 pm

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by Laguz View Post
Dear flyers

I was looking at the miles accrual for Aegean. I'm flying with SAS this time. It states the following:
Economy Class
Booking Classes: A, J, Y, S, B, P
Accrual Factor: 200%
Minimum miles: 1200

So for a flight ARN > CPH booked in A, which is about 300miles, you will get 1200 minimum miles either anyways?

Thanks for the help!
Absolutely. Done it many times.
IMPORTANT: SK changed their award chart last month, heavily undercutting Basic miles for econ fares (SAS Go and especially Go Light), effective from Dec 1. Premium Econ (Plus) and Biz have not been touched...yet. These changes haven't been reflected on the A3 award charts yet, but a devaluation there too is the natural thing to expect. I have no idea when A3 will revise their award table, but when this comes I wouldn't be surprised if they tampered with this 200%/min 1200 miles on Plus too... But I would guess that if you fly before Dec 1st you don't have to worry about this in either case.
Old Nov 1, 18, 11:30 pm

Programs: A3, AA, DL, HH, SK, SPG, UA
OP, yes, any SAS Plus flight under 600 miles will earn 1200.

Originally Posted by East_and_West View Post
Absolutely. Done it many times.
IMPORTANT: SK changed their award chart last month, heavily undercutting Basic miles for econ fares (SAS Go and especially Go Light), effective from Dec 1. Premium Econ (Plus) and Biz have not been touched...yet. These changes haven't been reflected on the A3 award charts yet, but a devaluation there too is the natural thing to expect. I have no idea when A3 will revise their award table, but when this comes I wouldn't be surprised if they tampered with this 200%/min 1200 miles on Plus too... But I would guess that if you fly before Dec 1st you don't have to worry about this in either case.
I'm curious to know why you'd think A3 would "enhance" the earnings of SAS Business and/or SAS Plus fares. SK hasn't touched Biz/Plus earnings in 4 or 5 (?) years, so why would A3? I do think it's reasonable to assume that A3 would cut earnings sooner rather than later for the SAS Go fare classes, since they've been generous. It'll be interesting to see how A3 would handle the fact that Go and Go Light use the same booking classes, though.

I do wonder how/why one airline gets x% while another gets y% for comparable fare classes. Are earnings determined by the operating carrier or A3?

Regardless, I agree that for the foreseeable future, the earnings will stay as is, since A3 doesn't really seem to be in a hurry to update their charts. I mean, SA and TK haven't had First Class in YEARS, yet they're still in the chart. It took forever for them to start crediting UA "P" fares (as an aside, it'll probably take even more time for them to update UA's earnings chart, now that they've also gotten rid of First Class). SN has a ton of fares that earn zip, even in their "Flex & Fast" category, since all the Economy fares seem to (IME) book into a single, non-earning fare class. LH "P" still earns nothing.
East_and_West likes this.
Old Nov 2, 18, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tennen View Post
OP, yes, any SAS Plus flight under 600 miles will earn 1200.

I do wonder how/why one airline gets x% while another gets y% for comparable fare classes. Are earnings determined by the operating carrier or A3?

I totally share your interest. Maybe someone can inform us about that matter
Old Nov 2, 18, 6:53 pm

Programs: A3*G, FB Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Indeed we just have to wait how Aegean will update the earning chart but for now you earn 1200 miles.

I usually choose BRU-CPH-ARN-PEK in PE over BRU-ARN-PEK for the extra miles if there is no price difference.
Old Nov 3, 18, 6:02 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
I'm curious to know why you'd think A3 would "enhance" the earnings of SAS Business and/or SAS Plus fares. SK hasn't touched Biz/Plus earnings in 4 or 5 (?) years, so why would A3? I do think it's reasonable to assume that A3 would cut earnings sooner rather than later for the SAS Go fare classes, since they've been generous.
It's just a guess, given that the earnings table needs to be revised anyways. As a passenger earning about a third of my yearly miles on half a dozen (or even fewer) long haul Plus flights, compared to the rest that comes from 40+ intra-European ones, I hope this happens later rather than sooner...

It'll be interesting to see how A3 would handle the fact that Go and Go Light use the same booking classes, though.
In practice this may cause some issues in the very beginning, but in principle they should be able to handle it. The same way that SK does, or that A3 can tell the difference between a GoLight K and a Flex K: by using the entire booking fare code instead of just its first letter (the so-called "booking class").

That's a very good question. I don't know the exact process but it must be that the operating carrier somehow compensates the carrier whose FFP the passenger is a member of, and the miles awarded depend on that "compensation". Otherwise the FFP carrier (A3 in this case) would be basically rewarding its members (lounge access, extra baggage, award tickets, etc) for flying other airlines. So this ďcompensationĒ could go down. Or SK could simply ask directly A3 to adapt its table.

I canít see how itís viable in the long run for one to earn 100 miles on EB for a GoLight SK ticket on popular routes such as ARN-CPH or ARN-OSL for example, and 600 miles for the same route on a partnerís FFP (M&B). For many people in the Nordics this is a weekend routine, since they may work in, say, Copenhagen but live in Stockholm. Small though it may seem, on a monthly basis the difference can amount to a non-negligible 3000-4000 milesÖ Why would these pax stay with EB then?. One of the reasons that I switched to M&B as my main FFP (apart from SAS's future looking very shaky back then, and me starting to fly A3 to/via Greece very regularly) was a devaluation of EB earnings in European flights.
Old Nov 3, 18, 6:27 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
The operating carrier ( SAS) will offer a specific monetary amount to the FFP (A3). The FFP (A3) then decides how many miles they will award to its members (based on how they internally value their miles).

For A3 its important to give out the right amount of miles, so that they don't lose money when the member makes an award redemption. Because such redemption is the same process in opposite direction: The FFP pays the operating carrier depending on the flight length.

Detecting the difference between Go and Go Light may be an issue though. Yes, it is true that theoretically they can look at the full fare basis, however in practice I don't believe that is ever done. Eg, look at the TAP light fares fiasco. Another example is AF/KL who use class X for both awards and paid tickets - but other FFPs (Eg Delta Skymiles) cannot distinguish these and offer 0 miles. While AFKL's own program can see the difference and give (very little) miles on these paid tickets.
East_and_West likes this.

Last edited by Xandrios; Nov 3, 18 at 6:33 am
Old Nov 3, 18, 8:35 pm

Programs: A3, AA, DL, HH, SK, SPG, UA
Originally Posted by East_and_West View Post
It's just a guess, given that the earnings table needs to be revised anyways. As a passenger earning about a third of my yearly miles on half a dozen (or even fewer) long haul Plus flights, compared to the rest that comes from 40+ intra-European ones, I hope this happens later rather than sooner...
<snip>
I canít see how itís viable in the long run for one to earn 100 miles on EB for a GoLight SK ticket on popular routes such as ARN-CPH or ARN-OSL for example, and 600 miles for the same route on a partnerís FFP (M&B). For many people in the Nordics this is a weekend routine, since they may work in, say, Copenhagen but live in Stockholm. Small though it may seem, on a monthly basis the difference can amount to a non-negligible 3000-4000 milesÖ Why would these pax stay with EB then?. One of the reasons that I switched to M&B as my main FFP (apart from SAS's future looking very shaky back then, and me starting to fly A3 to/via Greece very regularly) was a devaluation of EB earnings in European flights.
I agree that SAS Go earnings will need to change, given the huge disparity in earnings between SK and A3. What I think might happen is the shift from a single earnings chart to a split one, like A3 already does for itself and for some others - AC, LH, OS, and SN. One for intra-Europe (and/or Nordic) and one for long-haul. SK's own earnings chart is strange, so a split chart would more closely align with that. As for the variance in earnings between your few long-haul Plus flights vs. your numerous intra-Europe legs, it's simple - they can be 10x as long, so you get 10x as many miles. Perhaps it's me being selfish , but I don't think (want) Biz and Plus earnings need to change. If they do change, however, I'd hope that adjustments wouldn't be too drastic - say, 150% for Plus.

In practice this may cause some issues in the very beginning, but in principle they should be able to handle it. The same way that SK does, or that A3 can tell the difference between a GoLight K and a Flex K: by using the entire booking fare code instead of just its first letter (the so-called "booking class").
I have to agree with Xandrios. There's no way A3 will be able to distinguish SK Go Light vs Go using the same fare code, at least in terms of crediting miles. Xandrios brought up TP light fares, which I have no experience with, but I'd imagine it's similar to my recent attempt to book SN flights. Check & Go, Light & Relax, and Flex & Fast all booked into a non-earning fare class (I think it was K). IIRC, the price of the one-ways were EUR 100, 120, and 350, respectively. I think that Go will get screwed in terms of earnings if the fare classes end up being the same as Go Light - just as Flex U, P, T do on A3.

Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
The operating carrier ( SAS) will offer a specific monetary amount to the FFP (A3). The FFP (A3) then decides how many miles they will award to its members (based on how they internally value their miles).

For A3 its important to give out the right amount of miles, so that they don't lose money when the member makes an award redemption. Because such redemption is the same process in opposite direction: The FFP pays the operating carrier depending on the flight length.
Good to know! I should probably bookmark this information, since I'm sure I'll forget it at some point.

Search this Thread