Changing wife's family name after marriage

Old Oct 21, 18, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Changing wife's family name after marriage

Hi all. Quick question.

I spoke to Aegean about changing my wife's name after we got married and they were very helpful. Sent through the docs including a copy of our marriage certificate which is in Japanese.

They came back and said they need an English version. Getting a translation will cost around 5000JPY (30ish) which is fine but a notarised version will cost an additional 80 and can only be used once. It's not 100% clear from them whether or not a notarised version is required.and there is a slight language barrier issue. Just wondering before I start calling lots of people at Aegean to try and develop a consensus whether anyone has any experience of doing this?
Old Oct 21, 18, 11:25 pm

I doubt that you'll find a "consensus" as Japanese must be Greek to them . I guess that there is nobody at Aegean understanding/reading Japanese, and I also doubt that they'll want to pick up the tab for translating what you submit. I'm afraid that in this case you'll have to cary the cost, although I'm almost certain that a notarized version will not be required. Good luck, though, and have a happy marriage, να ζήσετε!

PS Just have whoever translates this for you to sign it and a put a stamp. Greeks love stamps!
Old Oct 22, 18, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Sorry maybe my post was a bit unclear. I'm not saying that I want Aegean to translate it!

I'm trying to ascertain whether or not a notarised version is required or whether a stamp from the translation company will do! Wondered if any FT members had had any experience of doing this process with A3.
Old Oct 22, 18, 3:59 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by HiroshimaFlyer View Post
Sorry maybe my post was a bit unclear. I'm not saying that I want Aegean to translate it!

I'm trying to ascertain whether or not a notarised version is required or whether a stamp from the translation company will do! Wondered if any FT members had had any experience of doing this process with A3.
Had a similar case. My wife just called to the Gold line and explained that she has gotten married and have a new surname. Agent verified the name letter by letter and now it's changed in the system and new card will be sent asap. No certificates needed - so seems to depend on the agent. HUACA.
Old Oct 22, 18, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Furry. That's exactly what I was hoping for.

Will call back and see what they say. My wife is not gold and we called the regular line. Will try the gold line and see if that works better.

Search this Thread