18h50m transit in Athens

Old Oct 20, 18, 7:49 am
Original Poster

18h50m transit in Athens

Hi guys, I'll have 18h50m transit at Athens Interntional Airport. So please tell me - - either I need a visa or not to go outside the airport?

What're the best places to visit and how to get there from airport? I would be glad if you can include the prices for transport or etc.
Old Oct 20, 18, 8:44 am

Programs: A3*G, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Where are you from?
You'll need a valid EU visa to enter Greece, if you're an EU citizen you obviously don't.
When are you arriving and when departing?
Old Oct 20, 18, 9:33 am

You may not need a visa even if not an EU citizen, depending on your citizenship. Also, to tell you what to do, tell us what you'd like to do. Otherwise I may suggest something you hate or I could ommit something you'de love. At any rate, I'd never stay at ATH for that long even if you paid me (or, perhaps I would, depending on how much you'd give me). And, by the way, welcome to FT.
myrra likes this.
Old Oct 20, 18, 9:40 am
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Ruby (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Silver, HHonor Gold
To know if you need a visa, we need he name of the country issuing your passport, your nationality and your itinerary. Without this this is conjecture only.

What do you like to do ?
There is a metro linking the airport to the city centre.
myrra likes this.
Old Oct 20, 18, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Im from Egypt. but Im not Egyptian.
I may arrive on 12.30pm (Greece time) and depart on 7.20 pm.

Sorry for asking, how to apply the visa? I obviously clueless.
Old Oct 20, 18, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Im malaysian. My passport is issued by Malaysia. So, do I still need the visa?

I would enjoy more sightseeing. I love go to musem and enjoy some view and history. I search there many museums around.
Also I wish to enjoy any traditional foods, you know something I couldnt get at my country
Old Oct 20, 18, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Ohh really. So I really need to reconsider my trip. I thought maybe by this transit, I can discover more about Greece.
I love sightseeing and enjoy the view. Maybe go to some famous place to learn about history or anything.

Awhh thank you. This web totally useful! Im glad Im here.
Old Oct 20, 18, 11:47 am

Programs: A3*G, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Ok, so no visa required:
Originally Posted by etiaseurope
A Schengen visa is mandatory for all nationals of Malaysia who stay in the country for a period greater than 90 days.
For short stay visits (less than 90 days within a period of 180 days), the visitors are exempted from obtaining a valid Schengen visa.
You mean you'll be departing 7.30am? Otherwise it doesn't work out to 19ish hours.
That means you're staying overnight, correct?

Since you'll be arriving in the afternoon I'd suggest taking the metro to the city right away and see the Acropolis and the new Acropolis museum.
Add further sights if you have any time left.
You should be done with that in the late afternoon/early evening.
Afterwards get some good Greek food somewhere and later possibly a drink on one of the (overly expensive) rooftop bars.
I really enjoyed that but ymmv.
Old Oct 21, 18, 12:58 am

Programs: A3*G
The ticket for the metro costs 10 € one way and 18 € for a return ticket (booked at start and return within 48hrs). The bus costs 6 € one way, no reduction for the return. Due to traffic during the day the bus may take longer to get to the city. Further, there is 3-day tourist flat ticket for 22 € includung one trip to and one from the airport. You'll have to see the acropolis but opening hours are limited. Get to the centre (Plaka) and enjoy a good view to the ancient buidlings. In my view, the best museums are the acropolis, the byzantine and the cycladic one but there are many more (like Benaki, the national archaelogical...).

Please check your departure time since the first metro in the morning may not arrive early enough. In that case you'll have to take the bus.

Search this Thread