FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   Mileage run deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/1934204-mileage-run-deals.html)

Laguz Oct 6, 2018 8:17 am

Mileage run deals

Hi guys

I'm looking for a good run, but i can't wrap my head around. My dates are flexible 27 / 10 till the 4/11. I need 2 segments (A3) and 11.000 miles for a good price s:) Any help?

Knobbgb Oct 6, 2018 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Laguz (Post 30285295)
Hi guys

I'm looking for a good run, but i can't wrap my head around. My dates are flexible 27 / 10 till the 4/11. I need 2 segments (A3) and 11.000 miles for a good price s:) Any help?

Where are you based? For that many points you are looking at flights other than A3. xxx-ATH-VIE on A3 and then a 4 segment OS C-class (2000 miles per segment) might just give you 11,000 depending where you start from. Or xxx-ATH-ARN then ARN-ADD-ARN on ET in Y (100% of mileage on ET) would also be about 11,000. You could also look at ET DUB-LAX or various SAS long-hauls in Y-Plus for 200% mileage (but see the other thread about possible SK devaluation coming up in December).

Laguz Oct 6, 2018 10:53 am

I am based in Brussels. I was thinking of SAS too, but got lost. I would prefer short haul if possible.

Btw, the accrual table, does the minimum miles mean the miles you have to fly or the minimum that are credited!?

Thanks!

GBobon Oct 6, 2018 12:20 pm

Min miles that are credited, of course :)
As @Knobbgb mentioned, OS business class gives you some good amount miles for intra-European flights (P = 750 miles/segment, C, D, J, Z = 2000 miles/segment)

LacMajeur Oct 7, 2018 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Laguz (Post 30285295)
I need 2 segments (A3) and 11.000 miles

If that means that you almost never fly Aegean or Star Alliance, then you might not need the Gold status. Have you considered Priority Pass, for example? It would be a much cheaper option for an infrequent flyer, rather than artificially maintaining a status. Moreover, most of airport restaurants would be a way better option than the foods and drinks you'd get in a lounge.

A classic way to get 11'000 miles is to fly Lufthansa with a stopover in both hubs. It gives exactly 11'000 miles in D fare.
Example: BRU-FRA-MUC-XXX-MUC-FRA-BRU. It will be more expensive than Z fare with Austrian, that gives 8'000 miles quite easily, as said before.

NWIFlyer Oct 7, 2018 9:07 am

Unfortunately the two things you’re seeking are possibly mutually exclusive, at least in the available timescale.

Have you considered the alternative of getting 24k miles without the A3 segments? SK in Economy Plus to the US west coast via ARN or CPH nets about the right amount, and - whilst you preferred short haul - actually may be less hassle and cheaper overall. At that time of year you’d probably be looking around €900.

LacMajeur Oct 7, 2018 9:40 am

BRU-VIE-TXL-VIE-BRU would be around 450€ in OS Z.
Then something like BRU-ATH-CDG (short afternoon connection in ATH) that could be well below 200€ on a Tuesday.

Ecological and financial cost of this being way above the expected benefits, I stick to the idea that OP might not fly enough to actually need the Gold status.
Aegean program is good primarily because you can keep Gold even if you fly very little. It is not designed for people that do not fly at all :)

NWIFlyer Oct 7, 2018 10:24 am

Originally Posted by LacMajeur (Post 30288341)
Aegean program is good primarily because you can keep Gold even if you fly very little. It is not designed for people that do not fly at all :)

The OP might well, like me now, have *G as a second program. I’ll probably fly about 10 sectors on Star this year, with 75% of my accrual on oneworld.

However, given that I don’t know what the future holds for FFPs, I keep my options open so I don’t have to start from scratch again if requalification levels happen to increase beyond my time or budget - so I understand the desire to maintain status given how much harder it is to get back.

For me, that’s why it’s sometimes more efficient to qualify without the A3 segments, and long haul with SAS is currently usually the most cost efficient way to do that, particularly with 1200 miles for Y+ on the connecting flight into a hub.

Some good options for the OP here though, I think, hopefully one of which will fit.

LacMajeur Oct 7, 2018 10:45 am

True. I've done AGP-ARN-CPH with SAS Ireland in September (ticket bought few days before flying) in Y+ and it gave a good solid 5'000 miles for 140€.

However, someone who doesn't fly Star Alliance (OP got only 1'000 miles and two A3 segments this year, so he is probably not flying Star Alliance at all) might find a way cheaper option with Priority Pass rather than investing hundreds and burning that much kerosene for such a low return on investment.

Laguz Oct 29, 2018 2:14 am

Hi guys

So to be honoust, I haven't been collecting miles fanatically. Most of the times I forgot to collect them. In other situations, I collected them in the wrong FFP (i.e. M&M). It is since a couple of months that my focused myself more on the accrual of miles. I consider myself as a newbie :)

I've booked my flights BRU - ATH rt in March 2019, since i've always wanted to visit Athens. This will get my about 2000 miles. I have other fly plans coming up: such as in april 2019 (dive vacation or maybe Asia, tips more then welcome) and Croatia in summer (Jul- Aug 2019) With this plans ahead, I am more then positive i'll make it at least to Silver tier, if I'm smart that is. That's why I wanted some help of you guys :)

Knobbgb Oct 29, 2018 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Laguz (Post 30367706)
Hi guys

So to be honoust, I haven't been collecting miles fanatically. Most of the times I forgot to collect them. In other situations, I collected them in the wrong FFP (i.e. M&M). It is since a couple of months that my focused myself more on the accrual of miles. I consider myself as a newbie :)

I've booked my flights BRU - ATH rt in March, since i've always wanted to visit Athens. This will get my about 2000 miles. I have other fly plans coming up: such as in april (dive vacation or maybe Asia, tips more then welcome) and Croatia in summer. With this plans ahead, I am more then positive i'll make it at least to Silver tier, if I'm smart that is. That's why I wanted some help of you guys :)

It's not clear exactly what help you are asking for.

One thing I would say is this - you can 'retro-claim' to Miles&Bonus any applicable flights within the last six months that you forgot to claim and have not claimed in another program. In addition, if your M&B is new, you can retro-claim any such flight within 12 months of the account opening date. This may be of some help to you.

Laguz Oct 29, 2018 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb (Post 30367801)
It's not clear exactly what help you are asking for.

One thing I would say is this - you can 'retro-claim' to Miles&Bonus any applicable flights within the last six months that you forgot to claim and have not claimed in another program. In addition, if your M&B is new, you can retro-claim any such flight within 12 months of the account opening date. This may be of some help to you.

I guess I was still sleeping :) I adjusted the dates. I wanted your help for the following:
- April 2019: (preferably BRU to) BKK / Vietnam / Asia with a good miles accrual for m&b
- Jul / Aug 2019: BRU => Croatia

Thanks !

Chiller3333 Oct 29, 2018 5:39 am

What's you budget?
BKK/Vietnam/Asia is not very specific.
BRU-ARN-HKG on SAS would give you a bunch of miles but I have no idea whether it suits you travel plans.

unusualtravelblog Oct 29, 2018 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Laguz (Post 30367806)
I guess I was still sleeping :) I adjusted the dates. I wanted your help for the following:
- April 2019: (preferably BRU to) BKK / Vietnam / Asia with a good miles accrual for m&b
- Jul / Aug 2019: BRU => Croatia

Thanks !

July-August to Croatia is not easy, as it is mostly LH or OS that fly to Zagreb... and LH Group flights earn most of the times nothing with M&B. Only if you're ready to pay €410 in business class with Lufthansa, you can earn a nice amount of miles.

BKK is difficult too, as the sweet spots for M&B are mostly Ethiopian, SAS, Aegean and maybe Singapore/Thai.
Your best bet is fly PEK, PVG or HKG in Economy for €400-500 RT or Premium Economy for €700-800 RT and that will give you a nice amount of miles.
You can then look for cheaper flights from HKG/PEK/PVG to countries for diving such as Filipines, Indonesia, Thailand, and look for star alliance, but keep in mind that you'll need a fairly expensive visa for China.

Also, it is not recommended to pay a lot of money just for the status, because you'll need to make the calculation of something is worth it or not.
Either way, good luck. I am M&B Gold and based in Belgium. If you have Instagram, you can follow me (@Unusualtravelblog) Feel free to send me a message if you need more help or if you need lounge access if you're not Gold yet ;)

Alec84 Nov 5, 2018 2:06 am

Originally Posted by LacMajeur (Post 30287675)
If that means that you almost never fly Aegean or Star Alliance, then you might not need the Gold status. Have you considered Priority Pass, for example? It would be a much cheaper option for an infrequent flyer, rather than artificially maintaining a status. Moreover, most of airport restaurants would be a way better option than the foods and drinks you'd get in a lounge.

Sorry, just had to comment. I and my friend passed literally hundreds of people in immigration at IST earlier this year thanks to my *Gold card. Do your Priority Pass or restaurants give that, do they? ;-)