Mileage run deals

Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:24 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
@Alec84, this is applicable only when you enter in Turkey, not when you leave Turkey via IST, right? I was there last night (transiting) but I didnt see any priority lane for *G when I entered from landside to airside at IST.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by GBobon
@Alec84, this is applicable only when you enter in Turkey, not when you leave Turkey via IST, right? I was there last night (transiting) but I didnt see any priority lane for *G when I entered from landside to airside at IST.
There is one star gold line and A3 gives a voucher for another fast lane.
U have to go on the left side of the terminal passeport check (not the big one on the middle).
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
IST is not an airport that I like for various reasons but it's one of the only star alliance hub in Europe with fast track on transit / arrival / departure and terminal entrance too.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I was on a single class A3 flight out of IST twice recently and they gave me either a stamp or a Prime Class voucher to get through the exit immigration through the priority lane. I am estimating it would have saved me 30 minutes.

Star Gold also saved me the queue on entry too (again off the single class A3 flight).

However, of course, it's only really useful if one goes to IST on a single class service, unless one is generally a Y flyer. I only ever fly in Y when I'm on a single class service but with OA/A3, A3 status comes in handy. That is why I keep it in addition to other Star programmes.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 5, 2018 at 3:18 am
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
This has been explained well already, thanks guys! BKK is another airport where having status can save you from A LOT of standing in line.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
So, just in case anybody else is looking for good deals in the programme, I decided to take a nice break and found ARN-LPA for 300 EUR return in Plus. And to me, 300 EUR for nearly 11000 miles is a pretty good deal. I mean, I wouldn't do it just for the miles obviously, but Gran Canaria is always nice when you want some warm weather in the winter and the miles certainly don't hurt. :-)
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
So, just in case anybody else is looking for good deals in the programme, I decided to take a nice break and found ARN-LPA for 300 EUR return in Plus. And to me, 300 EUR for nearly 11000 miles is a pretty good deal. I mean, I wouldn't do it just for the miles obviously, but Gran Canaria is always nice when you want some warm weather in the winter and the miles certainly don't hurt. :-)
What date is that? I'm looking for a trip to somewhere warm in February or early March and could do with some points but I'm loathe to book SK at the moment - at least until the new earning rates are announced.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
Obviously you must be talking about miles earned and not miles flown, since the distance from ARN to LPA is ~2700 miles
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
What date is that? I'm looking for a trip to somewhere warm in February or early March and could do with some points but I'm loathe to book SK at the moment - at least until the new earning rates are announced.
I am doing it this month, so before the changes take place.

Originally Posted by KLouis
Obviously you must be talking about miles earned and not miles flown, since the distance from ARN to LPA is ~2700 miles
Well, considering this is a mileage run thread, I think miles earned is the primary relevant metric. Additionally, 2700 is the one way distance. So for return, you double it. And that would be 5400. And then, since it is SAS Plus, you currently get 200%. And 5400*2=10800. ;-)
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: A3 *G
I couldn't find any ARN-LPA fares for less than about 380 each way in Plus when I need to travel (JAN/FEB). That's still not a bad deal mile-wise (3.5cpm), but that's a LONG flight and better 'value' can be found elsewhere on the SAS network. I wouldn't do it unless I really needed the miles (or really needed to see that island) and it begs the question: if you're 11,000 miles short of renewal,are you really a frequent flier and do you really need the status?

At a similar cost-per-mile to the OP's original example I found AGP-ARN for 54/105 Euro (Go/Plus) earning 1875/3750 miles, which is 2.8cpm. AGP-OSL was 60/116 Euro earning 1766/3532 miles at 3.2 cpm. MLA is another destination where Plus is relatively cheap, as is ATH of course.

The overall best cpm I could find was - MLA-ARN-AGP, 7th December, 84 Euro in GO, 3527 miles, 2.4cpm! (subject to earning rates NOT changing after 1st December), Plus is 3x the price on this connection, for some reason, even though it is quite cheap on the individual flights.

Adding on an inter-Scandinavia connection can be good value. Sometimes it's an extra 50 Euro for 1200 extra miles. You can even book double connections easily (OSL-ARN-CPH-XXX for example). I find the SAS website itself the easiest way to find these.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Nov 13, 2018 at 12:40 am
Old Oct 5, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: A3G, BA Silver, LH FT
LHR-ATH in C with Aegean is on sale again 227 return. Wide open from November 2020 until June 2021
14952 tier miles with the double promo
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
With the new lower thresholds that's almost to *G for 200 clams. If only I weren't terrified to get on a plane still.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Originally Posted by alanw
With the new lower thresholds that's almost to *G for 200 clams. If only I weren't terrified to get on a plane still.
the plane is the safest part...
Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: Miles & Bonus (A3), Miles & More (LH)
Originally Posted by palcsaky
LHR-ATH in C with Aegean is on sale again 227 return. Wide open from November 2020 until June 2021
Many thanks for the heads up. Just booked three return tickets for flights well into 2021 for about EUR 770.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:25 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by palcsaky
Also interesting that this time the cheap prices go both ways (i.e. ATH-LHR-ATH).
Alexandros Bravos likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.