Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Cuts in SAS earning [GoLight to zero, PE/J reducing from 1st Apr 2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cuts in SAS earning [GoLight to zero, PE/J reducing from 1st Apr 2021]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
I hadn't realised that Plus rates are unchanged. Lets just hope that's reflected in any cut that IS made to M&B earnings. After all, there are many nonsensical 'mappings' out there where a particular fare class earns highly with one airline's program and earns nothing with another, or vice-versa.

And it's correct what people are saying about Plus sometimes offering good value, even in Europe. On my most common SAS route (ATH-ARN) I would typically pay around 90 Euro for the basic fare and sometimes only 40 Euro more for Plus. That's not so bad for double mileage. I think these lower Plus rates are mostly found on less premium-heavy routes anyway. With the recent dropping of the free checked bag for *G members on basic fares, Plus is even better value for those, like me, who often have a checked bag.

Anyway, for next year, I feel a long haul on Ethiopian may be on the cards...
I'm betting that SK discount long-haul Plus eventually takes a hit too in how much customers earn from earning of miles/points from the flights. This is unlikely to be the first and last SK devaluation cut. I just hope that SK and partner programs customers get advance notice of earnings levels and that already-issued tickets are grandfathered at current earnings rates -- but given my experience in this area, I don't expect that to be very likely across all programs.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:48 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Hmm, while it's disappointing news, I ran the numbers and I don't think it will affect me so much

I don't do pure mileage runs, and Scandinavia is expensive so even though the flights are cheap I end up spending lots on hotels and food.... meanwhile Aegean flies me to cheap countries but their flights are expensive (I'm slightly happier now that I managed to use some of my upgrade coupons)

In the past two years I earned 10000 tier miles on SAS and paid £940
I also got 13000 tier miles on TK having paid £1500
I received 7500 tier miles on A3 for spending £500

So strictly speaking many of the SAS flights were not necessary (or there were cheaper options) but at the time of booking I did not know whether I would be taking any A3 flights or getting enough miles elsewhere.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:48 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
did you fly only in Europe with SAS? I paid 280eur for 12k miles with SAS longhaul... you could fly OS J in Europe for cheap and will get 8k miles for about 450eur for 4 segments...
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:12 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
It all depends on how flexible you can be, of course. I have to (well, try to, no-one forces me!) qualify for both BA Gold (oneworld Emerald) and A3 Gold. That means I can’t realistically find bargain basement prices for both because I can’t fit holidays around it, so I end up paying a bit more for one or the other - usually the Star one.

This time the only Star flights I can find that deliver big mileage are in November, to the US West Coast, and they’ll be in the region of €900 and return 25k miles. With other bits and pieces from normal travel I end up well over, but I still need the SK Y+ fares to push me over the line.

I need to retire so I can just fly at short notice ...
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:44 am
Shl

Programs: BA Gold/ Star Alliance Gold
Hi there, I am a newbie with A3. I was checling for the SAS Plus fare. but the cheapest I could find was around 923 Euro.
How would I be able to find the fares around 500 some of you are talking about.

[deleted and posted in beginners thread]

Many thanks!

Last edited by Shl; Oct 8, 2018 at 7:07 am
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:13 am

Dirt cheap prices departing from AGP. I flew AGP-ARN-CPH recently for 140€ and got 5'000 miles.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:48 pm

probably he is looking for intercontinental flights in W... @Shl: Use Google Flights, choose only SAS and PE then look for flights to their destinations and pick lower prices from calendar you have for date selection
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:52 pm
Shl

Programs: BA Gold/ Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by GBobon
probably he is looking for intercontinental flights in W... @Shl: Use Google Flights, choose only SAS and PE then look for flights to their destinations and pick lower prices from calendar you have for date selection
Many thanks, this is what I was looking for!
GBobon likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: A3 *G
For cheap intra-Europe flights, check out leisure heavy destinations. Athens is actually a good bet for a combined run to also get segments. I have found ATH-ARN for 117 Euro in February or March (3016 miles) or ATH-CPH-ARN for 154 Euro (4216 miles). This all assumes that A class flights are NOT devalued from December, of course. Forget business oriented destinations. ATH-ARN only goes up from 73 Euro to 117 Euro for double the miles, whereas ARN-LHR, for example, is more than double (sometimes nearer triple) the cost.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Oct 9, 2018 at 2:53 am
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:36 am

For cheap intra-Europe flights, check out leisure heavy destinations.
Especially when operated by SAS Ireland.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by LacMajeur
Especially when operated by SAS Ireland.
I hadn't really considered that. It's all the same airline really though isn't it? SAS Ireland is just a 'flag of convenience' to allow them to cut costs. I haven't been on those new A320 yet. I was assuming there was no difference in product. Just with my example above - ATH-ARN is is still operated by SAS whereas ARN-LHR is SAS Ireland.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I hadn't really considered that. It's all the same airline really though isn't it? SAS Ireland is just a 'flag of convenience' to allow them to cut costs. I haven't been on those new A320 yet. I was assuming there was no difference in product. Just with my example above - ATH-ARN is is still operated by SAS whereas ARN-LHR is SAS Ireland.
The SAS vs SAS Ireland distinction doesn’t seem to make any difference to me in terms of what I get from the SK flights.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:42 am

When I notice low prices, it is often operated by SAS Ireland (typical AGP base). I don't remember getting 5'000 miles for 140€ before.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:05 am

a little update. it seems that A3 didnt change yet the earnings for SAS. I flew this weekend from SFO to ARN via CPH and today they credited 100% miles (I had booking class T, SK936 left SFO on Dec 1st and CPH-ARN on December 2nd).
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by GBobon
a little update. it seems that A3 didnt change yet the earnings for SAS. I flew this weekend from SFO to ARN via CPH and today they credited 100% miles (I had booking class T, SK936 left SFO on Dec 1st and CPH-ARN on December 2nd).
It's not surprising that you earned 100%; there was simply no way that A3 would've updated their charts so quickly. As I posted in the Miles accrual ARN > CPH thread, I think it'll take a while before A3 makes any changes...

Originally Posted by Tennen
Regardless, I agree that for the foreseeable future, the earnings will stay as is, since A3 doesn't really seem to be in a hurry to update their charts. I mean, SA and TK haven't had First Class in YEARS, yet they're still in the chart. It took forever for them to start crediting UA "P" fares (as an aside, it'll probably take even more time for them to update UA's earnings chart, now that they've also gotten rid of First Class). SN has a ton of fares that earn zip, even in their "Flex & Fast" category, since all the Economy fares seem to (IME) book into a single, non-earning fare class. LH "P" still earns nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.