Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Cuts in SAS earning [GoLight to zero, PE/J reducing from 1st Apr 2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cuts in SAS earning [GoLight to zero, PE/J reducing from 1st Apr 2021]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
To keep with the theme of this thread, SAS youth fares have made Gold possible for them. Hence I am interested to see if the cuts stop at the current level (Light fares only)

Last edited by livious; Nov 20, 2019 at 1:07 pm
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by livious
To keep with the theme of this thread, SAS youth fares have made Gold possible for them. Hence I am interested to see if the cuts stop at the current level (Light fares only)
The “children travel free” tickets for those who are 11 years and younger are still earning miles when the adult fare in the same booking is mileage-earning. It will be interesting to see if SK will try to kill that off too.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The “children travel free” tickets for those who are 11 years and younger are still earning miles when the adult fare in the same booking is mileage-earning. It will be interesting to see if SK will try to kill that off too.
That is how the kids originally earned A3 Gold😊
i believe I posted a thread years ago in the a SAS forum. SAS was a goldmine for kid flyers...and still has a few sweetspots🤫
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:13 pm

I've done that in plus a couple of times with kids. Loads of miles almost for free.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 11:14 am

Is anyone considering buying upgrades on already purchased SAS flights in order to try to earn A3 miles for flights that were originally purchased as SK economy flights without any included checked baggage allowance?

I am curious to see how that works out when such upgraded flights are credited to A3.
My just over minimum upgrade bid on an empty, then canceled and replaced with a connecting flight posted 200% quickly . My SAS GoLight O fare did not, like it had 2 months ago, even though purchased before the change. I guess I could ask Aegean about a retroactive adjustment.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
So old bookings are still awarded by aegean? Good to know, wont upgradr those then.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yreal
So old bookings are still awarded by aegean? Good to know, wont upgradr those then.
You can try to get awarded based on the rules at the time of ticket purchase but Aegean isn’t required to provide that manual adjustment, no less so as SAS may not pay up for the miles for such flights. I am assuming it’s a goodwill adjustment and not guaranteed adjustment for all in these circumstances.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:06 am

You can try to get awarded based on the rules at the time of ticket purchase but Aegean isn’t required to provide that manual adjustment, no less so as SAS may not pay up for the miles for such flights. I am assuming it’s a goodwill adjustment and not guaranteed adjustment for all in these circumstances.
Airlines in general (specifically members of an alliance) should check with each others' schedules and perform such changes excluding flights already scheduled or at the very least excluding tickets already sold for these flights.
The way I see it, when @Yreal purchased SAS tickets and entered the M&B number during the booking process, that product was advertising on Aegaen's website that it would credit XYZ miles to the M&B account.
If this "service" is then denied then I see grounds for compensation or (even) a free cancellation and full refund of that ticket (prior to the actual flight of course).
Not that it would surprise me if Aegean actually didn't automatically credit the miles (there seems to be a trend this year to change certain rules at certain point in time and retro-apply them to existing bookings), but one's rights are ...one's rights! Miles or an equivalent thereof should be provided as "promised" when booked.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 12:26 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
..and what if it says in the fineprint that the earning table as per the flying date applies? Because I am pretty sure that it does.

By the way I fully agree...its horrible to find that your booked flight all of a sudden earns less, or even nothing at all. However, legally, I don't think you would have many rights. Its likely up to the goodwill of the support operator working on your complaint.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by giorginho
Airlines in general (specifically members of an alliance) should check with each others' schedules and perform such changes excluding flights already scheduled or at the very least excluding tickets already sold for these flights.
The way I see it, when @Yreal purchased SAS tickets and entered the M&B number during the booking process, that product was advertising on Aegaen's website that it would credit XYZ miles to the M&B account.
If this "service" is then denied then I see grounds for compensation or (even) a free cancellation and full refund of that ticket (prior to the actual flight of course).
Not that it would surprise me if Aegean actually didn't automatically credit the miles (there seems to be a trend this year to change certain rules at certain point in time and retro-apply them to existing bookings), but one's rights are ...one's rights! Miles or an equivalent thereof should be provided as "promised" when booked.
I agree. But I also have had my expectations set low by what I’ve experienced repeatedly before. I got burned repeatedly by Star Alliance operating carriers changing the crediting rules while the used airline programs’ web pages were not accurately reflecting what changes had already taken place at the time of flying and/or booking. Continental/United were far from generous when this happened to me on LH and some other discounted business class fares for a period of time. It left me disappointed with their approach to such matters, but I also didn’t expect it to be worth my time to pursue it at the time.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
..and what if it says in the fineprint that the earning table as per the flying date applies? Because I am pretty sure that it does.

By the way I fully agree...its horrible to find that your booked flight all of a sudden earns less, or even nothing at all. However, legally, I don't think you would have many rights. Its likely up to the goodwill of the support operator working on your complaint.
I am still fighting for my crediting upgraded Go light to Plus. flew in the end of August. they credited all segments as normal Go flight (100%) 2 weeks ago... even I should receive Plus (200%). I wrote to SAS, waiting for answer. annoying but I tried.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:00 pm

... I don't suppose that you will find any such piece of "fineprint" here...
https://en.aegeanair.com/conditions-...nd-conditions/
But it should be considered normal/logical that one earns based on the date one flies. The thing is: When you purchase a ticket, you and Aegean agree to a series of terms, conditions, prices etc., which are then not allowed to be changed considerably without agreement between both parties (there are exceptions of course, for example if a flight is forced to be cancelled etc., so I don't see how such a decision to change the earning table would constitute such a 'serious reason' for changing the terms of an existing 'contract').

The only point that Aegean clearly mentions (in the T&Cs) with regards to this matter is that miles have zero value. But I guess we all know better than that (and the fact that Aegean itself sells miles directly in exchange for money pretty much eliminates that "argument").
Legally speaking.... no fine print, T&C's etc. are allowed to contradict the law.
Theoretically speaking.... just by reading a couple of those T&C's should act as a deterrent to anyone looking to open a M&B account (but, again, we know better... :P... in fact thanks for prompting me to visit the website just now, it just came to my attention that they are "cyber-Monday-today-only"-offering 2000 award miles (1000 tier miles) to new M&B members... and since my wife's account was long "lost"/deleted this is a nice opportunity to get 2000 miles for free -- I have only seen them offering this nice bonus just a handful of times since I registered myself in 2012 and made use of a similar offer)
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by giorginho
"fineprint"
Originally Posted by Aegean
M&B T&C Chapter 11 A3/OA: 2. Miles are earned and registered on a fare-basis, in accordance with the published Mile Accrual Charts, as they appear on Aegean’s website, in the Miles+Bonus section.
Chapter 12 *A flights MILES ACCRUAL FROM STAR-ALLIANCE FLIGHTS:
1. ... Miles are earned and registered on a fare-basis, in accordance with the published Mile Accrual Charts per Star Alliance member-carrier, as they appear on the official Aegean website, specifically in the Miles+Bonus section.
When you look up their chart is says:
'The effective date regard flight events, regardless of the booking date.' Or in Greek:
'Η ημερομηνία έναρξης ισχύος αφορά την πτήση και όχι την ημερομηνία που πραγματοποιήθηκε η κράτηση.'

While I feel that they clearly state that miles are earned based on the chart at the day of the flight, I seriously doubt that their retroactive changes to the chart would be uphold at court. Anyway it is pretty lame towards your loyal customers to make retroactive changes.
Xandrios and giorginho like this.

Last edited by Arrivals; Dec 2, 2019 at 3:53 pm
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
As a data point, on 12/2 I flew on a Go Light K fare OSL-EWR. Credited today at 100%.
GUWonder and romans like this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
My flight ams-cph-hel in go light o credited automaticly. Booked before the cut.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.