Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Cuts in SAS earning [GoLight to zero, PE/J reducing from 1st Apr 2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cuts in SAS earning [GoLight to zero, PE/J reducing from 1st Apr 2021]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:08 pm
Suspended

I hope no more changes in near future. I am counting on SAS to re-qualify for next year's A3 Gold.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Anyone knows if you can contact sas to get go light fares up to go smart?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:15 am

SK GoLight fare (O) credited 100% for me but did not for my companion.

Edit: Companion's flight has been credited.
East_and_West and romans like this.

Last edited by Cookoovaya; Oct 30, 2019 at 8:22 am Reason: Update
Old Nov 1, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by Cookoovaya
SK GoLight fare (O) credited 100% for me but did not for my companion.

Edit: Companion's flight has been credited.
Congrats on getting the points, but it sounds like a risky gamble to expect this. I was debating to not upgrade my kids outbound flight and see how the miles posted. In the end I chickened out and upgraded the outbound to renew their gold. Better safe than sorry. It will be interesting to see what posts on the return (also O Light).
Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:21 am

Can we change the title of this topic? Every time I see a new answer I am scared...
Arrivals likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by livious
Congrats on getting the points, but it sounds like a risky gamble to expect this. I was debating to not upgrade my kids outbound flight and see how the miles posted. In the end I chickened out and upgraded the outbound to renew their gold. Better safe than sorry. It will be interesting to see what posts on the return (also O Light).
To be honest, not a gamble for me. I'm fine either way.

In my opinion, I believe that spending extra on something that you wouldn't otherwise spend on just because it might credit or it might not it's a waste of money. You end up on an endless loop chasing miles and getting obsessed over it.

I do understand your point of view though, I hope it works out.

Originally Posted by jerry_greece
Can we change the title of this topic? Every time I see a new answer I am scared...
Good news this time!
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I’ll have November data points by end of next week.

I too always wonder if bad surprises have hit whenever I see a new post to this thread.

Aegean’s SK trick or treat thread? Only treats in October.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Post New footnote added

I saw another new footnote added now, think this is new (my bolding):

Booking classes not eligible for accrual: I, X, N, F, R.
Mileage accrual is based on the fare option purchased, regardless of the booking class.
You can be informed of the fare option purchased on your itinerary receipt, if you book your flight via flysas.com. For bookings through any other channel, fare option may not be visible. For further information regarding the fare option of your ticket, please check your Miles+Bonus account for the number of miles you have earned.
*No miles can be earned with T and O Go Light booking classes.

It doesn't say if this applies only to T & O or to all classes. Sadly, I think the latter as this is how SAS credits to its own program. So they're basically saying there is no way of knowing how much you will earn (as you will have to check your account after crediting)..

Example from SAS homepage. A one-way ticket Helsinki-Stockholm on this flight costs €279 in E-class and will earn you 100 points to SAS Eurobonus. Pay €293 and you earn 500 points, still in E-class.

Another example: ARN-NYC will earn 200 (sic) points in L-class unless you pay €33 more and you'll get 1600 points in L-class.

What this then translates to for A3 M&B I have no idea. The problem here in my opinion is less about paying more to get more points, it is lacking the transparency when I buy what I will earn (well, also paying for highest economy class E and still getting almost no points...).
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Gnopps

Mileage accrual is based on the fare option purchased, regardless of the booking class.
You can be informed of the fare option purchased on your itinerary receipt, if you book your flight via flysas.com. For bookings through any other channel, fare option may not be visible. For further information regarding the fare option of your ticket, please check your Miles+Bonus account for the number of miles you have earned.

It doesn't say if this applies only to T & O or to all classes. Sadly, I think the latter as this is how SAS credits to its own program. So they're basically saying there is no way of knowing how much you will earn (as you will have to check your account after crediting)..

Example from SAS homepage. A one-way ticket Helsinki-Stockholm on this flight costs €279 in E-class and will earn you 100 points to SAS Eurobonus. Pay €293 and you earn 500 points, still in E-class.

Another example: ARN-NYC will earn 200 (sic) points in L-class unless you pay €33 more and you'll get 1600 points in L-class.

What this then translates to for A3 M&B I have no idea. The problem here in my opinion is less about paying more to get more points, it is lacking the transparency when I buy what I will earn (well, also paying for highest economy class E and still getting almost no points...).
Tbh the easiest way to understand the newly added shortnote is if you are booking with SAS directly you're fine because you know what type of ticket you're on and A3 will honor it.

however, if you book via travel agency, even with baggage already included, you can end up having Light + baggage ticket instead of Smart or Pro ticket.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:51 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Gnopps

It doesn't say if this applies only to T & O or to all classes.
My interpretation is that it does say fare option Go Light with T or O booking class are the only ones excluded from that earning category. Even if the added not emphasis the fact that fare option trumps booking class.

The table says 100% 600 minimum for E, M, H, Q, V, W, U, K, L, T*, G, O*
with the asterix explanation *No miles can be earned with T and O Go Light booking classes.

I haven't followed the discussion thoroughly, is there a reason for your conclusion that all Go Light are excluded?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
I think the new booking rules are still a work in progress and for now it is a roll of the dice on what you will earn. I was certain that my children's tickets would not earn anything in O light, but their first segment credited as 100%. I upgraded the second segment to A light and they received 200%. I believe the A class earning was correct as I used Plusgrade, but it wasn't really the original fare option purchased. The text is not really clear, so let's see what happens in the coming weeks.

At some point they surely must adjust their earning table to reflect the SAS table, but let's hope that does not ever happen.
romans likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by livious
I think the new booking rules are still a work in progress and for now it is a roll of the dice on what you will earn. I was certain that my children's tickets would not earn anything in O light, but their first segment credited as 100%. I upgraded the second segment to A light and they received 200%. I believe the A class earning was correct as I used Plusgrade, but it wasn't really the original fare option purchased. The text is not really clear, so let's see what happens in the coming weeks.

At some point they surely must adjust their earning table to reflect the SAS table, but let's hope that does not ever happen.
At some point, an airline can focus on trying to stem the leak of its own-metal customers to partner airlines’ loyalty programs and using those programs as a way to get around earnings reductions from own-metal-carrier’s reduced earnings in its own program from its own-metal flights. And the way they do that will be to try to make sure their partner airlines’ programs don’t act as the customers’ safety net.

Doesn’t SAS and Aegean have a kind of code-sharing going on that may mean Aegean has an interest in not losing customers to other airlines where it doesn’t code-share? That may help prolong the situation.

I have to see how this weekend’s SAS flights will post to A3 accounts on Wednesday.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by intuition
I haven't followed the discussion thoroughly, is there a reason for your conclusion that all Go Light are excluded?
The conclusion would come from reading this part as one:

Basically where is says that accruals is based on fare, not on booking class. Which is the way SAS is nowadays doing it for its own program Eurobonus.

Future will tell here and I really do hope I'm wrong :-)
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
At some point, an airline can focus on trying to stem the leak of its own-metal customers to partner airlines’ loyalty programs and using those programs as a way to get around earnings reductions from own-metal-carrier’s reduced earnings in its own program from its own-metal flights. And the way they do that will be to try to make sure their partner airlines’ programs don’t act as the customers’ safety net.

Doesn’t SAS and Aegean have a kind of code-sharing going on that may mean Aegean has an interest in not losing customers to other airlines where it doesn’t code-share? That may help prolong the situation.

I have to see how this weekend’s SAS flights will post to A3 accounts on Wednesday.
The weekend SAS flights in Go Light posted just now — between the time of the above post and now — and it’s 100% of what I was expecting — with the miles based on the distance and adding a nice 5 figure amount of miles to an A3 account. They were L or K fares and have been credited to A3 account the same way now as at this time last year.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 5, 2019 at 5:37 am
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:16 am

Can anyone confirm or deny that SAS flights in Go Light purchased BEFORE the change are being credited 100% to Aegean, or is it just a gamble? Or, in my case, booked through Chase points, but definitely showing T. Also, I could increase my miles on a TAP flight by bidding for upgrade, but where I want to credit depends on whether I win or not. (TAP if not, Aegean if so). How far in advance of the flight would I know if I won, and would I be able to change the airline credited after the auction? Also, how do I change where I credit on the 2nd leg of a TAP itinerary? EDIT: TAP website doesn't allow splitting where to credit for each leg of an itinerary. So basically I earn nothing guaranteed? (cheap economy fare) for the 1st leg, then have to take a chance on the 2nd leg of winning an upgrade to business class, and even then take a risk that they will post 200% to Aegean. But I have 4 hours between segments and unsure if I can change where to credit after check-in, between the legs.

Last edited by GeraldHouse; Nov 5, 2019 at 10:00 am Reason: How to change where to credit on 2nd leg of TAP itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.