FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   Bad weather this weekend (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/1932795-bad-weather-weekend.html)

Xandrios Sep 27, 2018 11:05 am

Bad weather this weekend

They have predicted some very nasty weather for this weekend. Current estimates say that south-west of Peloponnesos and later on Crete will be hit the hardest:

https://www.windy.com/?37.073,22.412,5

I happen to be scheduled to fly into ATH this Saturday...AND am supposed to travel to the south-west of the Peloponnesos (by road).

Do we have any indications already if and how this weather will affect flights and public transport?

Alexandros Bravos Sep 27, 2018 11:07 pm

I am afraid that you won’t be able to get the answer you are looking for. I mean this stormy weather thing is kind of a new experience and therefore answers of how the situation will develop or how the state/services will react must be difficult to be given. I believe that it all goes down to how severe things will turn out to be.

As your final destination is Peloponissos, an area that is expected to be hit by the storm, I would either consider rescheduling my return flight or staying overnight in Athens until things calm down and travelling to Peloponissos becomes risk free.

Knobbgb Sep 27, 2018 11:34 pm

For what it's worth, we had very severe winds over most of the country already on Wednesday - 8 to 9 Beaufort - winds over 75km/hr. There we no ferries for two days. Here in Paros (and everywhere else I checked), none of the flights were affected. It was fun seeing my friends arrive on the Dash 8 and watching it stop in about 300 metres. Luckily they were consistently from the north, but the winds this weekend will be all over the place in terms of direction (although not as strong here in the Aegean). That's sure to disrupt flights somewhat and one thing is for sure - it's going to rain - a lot!

DUBBRU Sep 28, 2018 4:23 am

Last night in Aegean Sea (both Cyclades and Dodecanese) wind gusts of more than 75 knots (approx 130kmh) were recorded. Ships and some mainland buses are not operational.

At the moment no major disruptions in aviation, although I read this morning that the OA flight to CHQ was diverted to HER due to adverse weather conditions. I don't know if this was OA330 or OA338 but this is not reflected to the tracking sites for these flights.

Xandrios Sep 28, 2018 4:56 am

Thanks. I'm somewhat relying on Aegean's schedule; At the moment I cannot reschedule to another date without paying a huge change fee.

The flight I'm on will depart from ATH around 9AM and things should be fine around that time. However the return to ATH is at 16:30 which seems to be in the middle of the storm; so chances are that there will be a quite large delay on departure. Or alternatively, if we do take of, chances are that we will divert somewhere else.

I should probably call KTEL to see about busses. If they are indeed not going to be operational I can go part of the way with OSE, but that will not be practical - and I'll still have to overnight in Patra, or worse, Kiato if the bus to Patra is not operational.

LTN Phobia Sep 28, 2018 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb (Post 30255233)
For what it's worth, we had very severe winds over most of the country already on Wednesday - 8 to 9 Beaufort - winds over 75km/hr. .... Luckily they were consistently from the north,

Ah, that'd be MLO cancelled then! :D

Xandrios Sep 29, 2018 11:30 am

So in the end everything went fine. At AMS we were delayed by ATC for an hour due to the weather. The flight was also a little longer than normal, arriving with exactly an hour delay.

Fun fact is that the approach into ATH was from the south-west today. We flew right through the eye of the storm which was an experience. Quite turbulent and dark clouds all around.

(Road) Traffic from ATH was very slow due to large amounts of water on the highway; I was close to miss my connecting bus. But the OASA driver saved the day by skipping the last few stops to make up time. Yay!

Currently on the way, just passed Corinth..I guess the rest should be fine! Thanks for the help everyone!

Alexandros Bravos Sep 29, 2018 11:58 am

Glad to see that all went well with your trip, without any major difficulties.

Have a safe arrival at home and enjoy the rest of your weekend with your family.

KLouis Oct 1, 2018 4:06 am

Completely different for me: we sailed on Thursday to Kassos (O/N), Karpathos (O/N) and Rhodes. Everythig fine but for the last mile into the Rhodes marina when we got really wet. The whole trip was behind "Xenophon" and ahead of "Zorbas". Winds were rather weak or ftom the wrpng side, so for about 60o/o of the trip we had the sails down. My son is now continuing to Cyprus while my wife and I are Waiting now to get a RHO-SKG-HER flight tomorrow, everything else before that sold out or just too expensive!