Fuel Surcharges on Transatlantic Redemptions

Old Sep 27, 18, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton D
Fuel Surcharges on Transatlantic Redemptions

Hi, I'm new here. I was trying to search for a transatlantic award flight from LA to Europe, but I don't have enough miles to do the search. However, I can see on somedays there is an option with 30,000 miles and 4.77 EUR surcharges like on the 1st of August, 2019. I thought that Aegean passes on fuel surcharges but it doesn't seem to the case any more. Is this true?
Old Sep 27, 18, 4:32 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Flying Blue Silver, Miles+Bonus Gold, BAEC Blue
are you complaining about 4.77EUR in taxes? just look for flights from Europe to US or any other destinations and will be surprised to see taxes for +150eur
Old Sep 27, 18, 4:57 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
It's definitely getting more difficult to find out which flights are available. I noticed that United's website now requires membership to MileagePlus before you can do searches.
Old Sep 27, 18, 6:37 am

Programs: A3, AC, SQ, BA, OZ, LX, TK
Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
It's definitely getting more difficult to find out which flights are available. I noticed that United's website now requires membership to MileagePlus before you can do searches.
Do you? It asked me to log in, but still worked fine without logging in. (For me at least)
Old Sep 27, 18, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar View Post
Do you? It asked me to log in, but still worked fine without logging in. (For me at least)
Their site seems to have had a refresh. I can't get past this block, unless I choose to search 'using money'!

Old Sep 27, 18, 12:20 pm

Programs: A3, AC, SQ, BA, OZ, LX, TK
Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
Their site seems to have had a refresh. I can't get past this block, unless I choose to search 'using money'!
Weird. I have a completely different pop-up box. And it has an 'X' on it to get past it. Same for me using safari and chrome on the US English version of the site. Not sure if it browser/country makes any difference. But yeah, not having your issue. Is it possible to do a search for money and then after that, click on the award travel button and update?
(Sorry for hijacking the thread)

Old Sep 27, 18, 1:15 pm

No, because it jumps back to the same block. I suppose I could sign up as a member!
Old Sep 27, 18, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by GBobon View Post
are you complaining about 4.77EUR in taxes?
I did not read that in the OP's post. On the contrary, the question was about A3 *not* passing on fuel surcharges (or just Euro 4.77 of them).
Old Sep 27, 18, 11:42 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by sokolov View Post
I did not read that in the OP's post. On the contrary, the question was about A3 *not* passing on fuel surcharges (or just Euro 4.77 of them).
Yeah, I got the impression that he was happy that it was only 4.77 on that flight - i.e. was unimpressed with the other options.

It's not about A3 passing on surcharges - they ALWAYS do, but about the airline and origin of the flights. Some airlines don't have fuel surcharges on many routes (TG from most European points, for example) and some countries have outlawed fuel surcharges altogether for departures, regardless of the airline (Hong Kong is the first one that comes to mind). Knowing these options is always good when booking awards. I'm not sure what surcharge-free options there are from LA to Europe though. EDIT: I see UA to LAX-LHR on 31st August with 4.77 charges, so that's probably what you're looking at (compared to LH charging 197 Euro!)
Old Sep 28, 18, 2:06 am

Just one point...Hong Kong is reintroducing surcharges later this year (from 1st November), so book now if you want to save!
sokolov likes this.
Old Sep 28, 18, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Thomas.T View Post
Hi, I'm new here. I was trying to search for a transatlantic award flight from LA to Europe, but I don't have enough miles to do the search. However, I can see on somedays there is an option with 30,000 miles and 4.77 EUR surcharges like on the 1st of August, 2019. I thought that Aegean passes on fuel surcharges but it doesn't seem to the case any more. Is this true?
It all depends on the airline and the routing. There are some really off the wall routes that A3 sometimes show up for example with AV from USA-BOG-Europe and taxes are only EUR5 in Business Class.

Search this Thread