Overbooked flight...but not really

Old Sep 18, 18, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Overbooked flight...but not really

Had a bit of a weird experience today flying ATH-AMS.

At the gate an announcement was made requesting a volunteer to take a later flight due to overbooking. Nobody moved so after a few minutes I thought to ask what they were offering.

Turns out they were offering 400 euro cash, a free Aegean flight in the future, and re-routing today with Swiss (Arrival 22:30 instead of 15:45).

I thought that was worth a few more hours waiting in the lounge so I accepted. She invalidated my boarding pass and asked me to come back to the gate after boarding to make the arrangements.

So while the rest of the flight boards I call around to change my schedule, arrange different transport from the airport, etc. After boarding I go to the desk and to my surprise she tells me that they don't need me to take another flight. My old BP is already re-activated and she asks me to go board now as the flight is waiting. Uhh..

Is this common procedure? I can understand that they are not entirely sure about how many volunteers they need - but once they announce and commit I would expect them to stick to it. In my case it was very inconvenient as now I had to board in a rush, as the last one - with large hand luggage, and I had to change my appointments once more. Can't say I was very happy about how the thing was handled.

Maybe I'm making too much about nothing though? Also I noticed that now they only serve one single drink on the 3:30hr flight - together with the snack. They used to make multiple drink rounds, but the last two flights only had the one opportunity to get some water in economy.
Old Sep 18, 18, 2:07 pm

Agreed about your overbooking handling. It's weird though. Did you have the same seat as before? I could imagine that they don't need volunteers because someone that has checked-in didn't show up but how did they end up asking for more volunteers in the end...?

As for the drinks, I have a different experience. On the same route ATH-AMS (morning flight, 1-2 weeks ago) the bar service was two-times. Once before the breakfast service and one with.
Old Sep 18, 18, 3:13 pm

Programs: MSC (Miles Slut Club); Cunard- Diamond 300+; Princess- Elite 200+; RCCL- D Plus; QF LTG; CA P
One rule of stand for volunteers is not to make any arrangement until final boarding complete. I have stand for volunteers a dozen of times but only once got lucky. This is a mixture of US and EU experiences. Most of the time there is last minute changes by passengers confirmed on this flight or someone misconnect. Often there is one or two no shows due to many reasons. Your experience is typical from my experiences.
justforfun and :D! like this.
Old Sep 19, 18, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Thanks. Seems my inexperience was definitely part of the problem then. The GA did however not indicate in any way that this was not for sure, she said volunteers are needed and she didnt ask me to stick around the gate - she just said to come back after boarding to get the new ticket. She had even already given me the flight numbers for the alternative I'd be taking.

Originally Posted by jerry_greece View Post
As for the drinks, I have a different experience. On the same route ATH-AMS (morning flight, 1-2 weeks ago) the bar service was two-times. Once before the breakfast service and one with.
Odd, my last 2-3 flights on this route all had the one drink round. In the past there used to be one or two with the meal, but also one closer to the end of the flight. Its a long flight after all so a glass of water is very welcome 1.5hrs after the meal service..
Old Sep 19, 18, 3:04 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Flying Blue Silver, Miles+Bonus Gold, BAEC Blue
you can always use the call button and they will bring you anything you want to drink, even wine or beer
Old Sep 19, 18, 8:09 am

Programs: AA, FB, UA
Earlier this month a similar arrangement was in place for a group of five of us who volunteered to be bumped (PAS-ATH). But we were explicitly told we had to come to the gate and they'd see how many of us they needed there--all dependent on no shows. As it happened they needed all of us (and the dog) to volunteer and put us on the next flight scheduled for an hour later. However that was further delayed--so we landed 2 hours and 5 minutes after the schedule time for our original flight, enough for the full Euro 250 pp compensation to be paid to each of us! (I understand that if you arrive within 2 hours, standard compensation is halved--we spent the last few minutes where we were circling Athens doing a countdown...)

Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
Thanks. Seems my inexperience was definitely part of the problem then. The GA did however not indicate in any way that this was not for sure, she said volunteers are needed and she didnt ask me to stick around the gate - she just said to come back after boarding to get the new ticket. She had even already given me the flight numbers for the alternative I'd be taking.

Odd, my last 2-3 flights on this route all had the one drink round. In the past there used to be one or two with the meal, but also one closer to the end of the flight. Its a long flight after all so a glass of water is very welcome 1.5hrs after the meal service..
Old Sep 19, 18, 11:04 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Flying Blue Silver, Miles+Bonus Gold, BAEC Blue
you were happy to take the later flight only for that compensation? I would fight for some cash from their side and then the compensation as a bonus
Old Sep 19, 18, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by GBobon View Post
you were happy to take the later flight only for that compensation? I would fight for some cash from their side and then the compensation as a bonus
What do you mean? The compensation was in cash!
:D! likes this.

Search this Thread