FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   Bag drop night before flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/1927195-bag-drop-night-before-flight.html)

eshroom Aug 25, 2018 6:15 am

Bag drop night before flight

Aegean website shows airport checkin opens 24 before flight. I am travelling with a lot of luggage and would prefer to check it in the night before (so I don’t have to lug everything on the tube).

As I can only get to Heathrow after the last A3 flight departs, does anyone know if there are generic *A counters that will take the luggage after I auto checkin with one of the machines?

headingwest Aug 25, 2018 9:59 am

To be honest I don't rate your chances.

I don't think even British Airways accept bags the evening before (at their home base no less). I imagine that there are various limitations with the LHR baggage system, especially when you consider that the airport more or less closes down during the small hours of the night. Do let us know what the answer is, if you try!

DELLAS Aug 26, 2018 5:12 am

Originally Posted by eshroom (Post 30127826)
Aegean website shows airport checkin opens 24 before flight. I am travelling with a lot of luggage and would prefer to check it in the night before (so I don’t have to lug everything on the tube).

As I can only get to Heathrow after the last A3 flight departs, does anyone know if there are generic *A counters that will take the luggage after I auto checkin with one of the machines?

Unless it has recently changed no. A3 were looking at piloting a night before check in at ATH but not sure even that has happened yet.

Max time I have ever checked in before at LHR was 12 hours before. Check in morning fly evening but it was the same day.

eshroom Aug 27, 2018 4:32 am

Thanks for replies. I phoned Aegean in the end and they confirmed 24 hours only applies to Athens, LHR they said was 2 hours before (though I’m sure I have done up to 3 hours before previously).

eshroom Aug 27, 2018 5:29 am

On a side note, they were weighing hand luggage at the gate at LHR today. Several C passengers had to check their bags for being (even slightly) over 8kg. I hope none of them had connections to make at the other end.

:D! Aug 28, 2018 1:41 am

Originally Posted by headingwest (Post 30128388)
I don't think even British Airways accept bags the evening before (at their home base no less). I imagine that there are various limitations with the LHR baggage system, especially when you consider that the airport more or less closes down during the small hours of the night. Do let us know what the answer is, if you try!

BA takes bags for certain next-day flights at LGW.

A3 would probably take bags for later flights that day when the check-in for earlier flights is open. Other airlines at LHR have done this for me.

Knobbgb Aug 28, 2018 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 30138138)

A3 would probably take bags for later flights that day when the check-in for earlier flights is open. Other airlines at LHR have done this for me.

Yes, as someone else said, there are common *A bag drop counters at LHR. On a couple of occasions I've dropped bags form the overnight (22:30?) departure 4 or 5 hours before the flight.

DELLAS Aug 29, 2018 4:15 am

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 30138138)

Yes thats a handy service I have used that myself.