Wiki Posts
Search

Extra seat for infant WITHOUT car seat

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Question Extra seat for infant WITHOUT car seat

Hey,
I would like to get some infos/experience for people who travelled with infants on Aegean before. Our little one is not super excited about sitting on the lap for a long time, so I booked an extra seat for almost the regular adult price. The person on the phone pointed out that it is necessary to bring an approved car seat. I can't post the link to Aegean here but the site says:

Fare Rules
  • If infants are travelling on the accompanying adult’s lap, the Infant Fare applies.
  • If the adult prefers that the baby has his/her own seat (in compliance with the necessary safety standards), then a discount Child Fare (if available) must be purchased and the adult must carry a car-type seat with him/her, which should comply with the international safety standards (find out more below). The required procedure to be followed is to contact Aegean’s Call Center or his/her travel agent accordingly.

We don't really plan to have a car at the destination, so it would be useless to bring our car seat. Also, its ok for the infant to be on the lap for take-off/landing, we just want her to have some space to rest/sleep since it's a night flight.
Does anyone have experiences if they check for the car seat at check-in or boarding, or can we just assume to have the seat available as additional space for us? I'd rather not want them to give it to someone else just because we didn't bring the car seat...

Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:20 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
thunderbird27, welcome to FT and the A3 board!

I would personally doubt the check-in or despatch staff will be particularly interested in whether or not you have the car seat - it’ll almost certainly fall to the cabin crew to enforce this because it’s a flight safety/passenger safety issue which is more in their domain than anyone else’s.

Different airlines have slightly different requirements on car seats, particularly across continents. I would check that what you have conforms to A3’s requirements - in spite of the mention of “international” this isn’t necessarily the reality!

The link is: https://en.aegeanair.com/travel-info...paring-to-fly/
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What age is the infant?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
What age is the infant?
She will be 10.5 months at the time of traveling.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by thunderbird27
She will be 10.5 months at the time of traveling.
I can't tell you A3's specific rule or the extent to which it is enforced, but in my experience (four children, now all 10+), if you have bought an extra seat for the infant and it is that young (ie under 24 months) you must have an approved car seat. Maybe it won't be enforced, but I think you have to assume it will be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.