Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

Laptop/tablet in hand luggage restriction on A3 ex-IST?

Old Jul 16, 18, 3:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

Is there a laptop/tablet in hand luggage restriction on A3 ex-IST (specifically the A3-operated service rather than TK codeshare or OA)?

I believe the restrictions are in place for some airlines (e.g. BA, where passengers are not allowed to carry laptop/tablets ex-IST and must be checked in) rather than the restriction being applied to all carriers, so I am wondering about A3.

It would be much appreciated if someone who have recently been there could tell me (I couldn't find anything about it on A3 website).

(If there is such a restriction, it's not a simple matter of checking it in for me - it's the matter of not booking the flight from there, as I cannot check it in, and I do not fly TK (which I believe do not have the restriction), so it's really down to 'not going there' as it's not 100% essential for me to go there - just a trade show.)

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 16, 18 at 3:34 am
Old Jul 16, 18, 8:43 am

Programs: A3*G, TK*G, UIA PremEY Silv, CX Silv, Hyatt Diam, , Skyteam Elite+,HH Diam, SPG Plat100, EK Silv
Nope. Only thing they they do at IST is to ask to open laptop and switch on tablets to be sure they are working.
Tips : get some battery on both for security check.
Last week was not restriction at all and never seen any restrictions at IST for ATH flight.
They just do an extra passeport check before checkin.
Old Jul 16, 18, 8:53 am

Programs: *A G, OW S, ST Elite.
This is a UK government initiative to keep the worried worried and it doesn't apply to other airlines. At IST TK have processes in place to allow you to keep electronics on flights to the UK. BA have failed to comply with the new requirements so restrictions are in place on their services only.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 18, 9:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Thanks very much for the info. Glad to hear I won't have to worry about having to check them in (I will certainly have the batteries charged up properly).
Old Jul 16, 18, 11:29 am

Programs: A3*G, TK*G, UIA PremEY Silv, CX Silv, Hyatt Diam, , Skyteam Elite+,HH Diam, SPG Plat100, EK Silv
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Thanks very much for the info. Glad to hear I won't have to worry about having to check them in (I will certainly have the batteries charged up properly).
yes, only thing I could advice is to get the gadgets and computer able to be switched on and you are good.
Old Jul 16, 18, 11:44 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Flying Blue Silver, Miles+Bonus Gold, BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by frenchft View Post
Nope. Only thing they they do at IST is to ask to open laptop and switch on tablets to be sure they are working.
Tips : get some battery on both for security check.
Last week was not restriction at all and never seen any restrictions at IST for ATH flight.
They just do an extra passeport check before checkin.
I think this is applicable for all flights leaving IST... I recently flew from IST to GYD, OTP, SFO and I was asked all the time at security check to turn on my macbook and ipad.
Old Jul 17, 18, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by GBobon View Post
I think this is applicable for all flights leaving IST... I recently flew from IST to GYD, OTP, SFO and I was asked all the time at security check to turn on my macbook and ipad.
Same here, CDG - OTP - BKK - KUL - Domestic flights - SIN with various airlines and always been asked.
Old Jul 17, 18, 11:52 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
I've been asked to turn on my laptops at the security check at the entrance to the IST terminal, but not at the security checks to go airside. However, I've only gone through the Business/Gold screening area and actually they don't even seem to care there ... perhaps they figure that the guys at the terminal entrance have already done the work

Search this Thread