Greece visa for stop over passengers

Old Jul 9, 18, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Greece visa for stop over passengers

I booked a ticket to Istanbul thru Athens and i have heard from some1 that if you are going to Non schengen countries you have to take greece visa even if you are stop over passenger too. Is it true?
Old Jul 9, 18, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Your question is confusing, and doesn't seem to address the real issue. You also neglect to mention where you are flying from, and what passport you hold.

If you are flying to Turkey, you will have to comply with all Turkish entry requirements. If that means that you require a visa in advance, then you will have to be able to show it when you check in for the very first flight.

If you mean that you wish to enter Greece, you will also have to comply with all Greek entry requirements. If that means that you require a Schengen visa issued by Greece (you should apply for a Schengen visa from the country where you first plan to enter the Schengen zone), then you will have to be able to show this when you check in for the very first flight.

If you are merely connecting in Athens, you still have to comply with all visa requirements, such as having the correct Schengen airport transit visa, if you need one.

[Are you even flying with Aegean?]
Old Jul 9, 18, 4:18 am

I'm just "filling a small gap" to the correct answers provided by irishguy28: Assuming that you are flying into ATH from a non-Schengen country and that your connection is a "real" one (a few hours that you can easily spend in the non-Schengen part of ATH and not a real stop-over as mentioned in the title of your thread), you will not need a visa. Otherwise, i.e. you do leave the non-Schengen area in Athens, you will need a regular visa. Needless to say that, if coming from a Schengen country, the visa used to enter that country will still be valid for Greece.
Old Jul 9, 18, 4:33 am
Original Poster

just want to clear one doubt. I booked Aegean ticket from Saudi to Istanbul via Athens, In Aegean website shows travelers from Extra-Schengen origin to Extra-Schengen destination need to pass through passport control.Will I need airport transit visa for this transfer if I limit myself within the transit area? i am indian and i have heard from my friend who is working in travels that one of his passenger got this experience for stop over visa issue and he paid visa for his family too.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 9, 18, 4:55 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by firoz555 View Post
just want to clear one doubt. I booked Aegean ticket from Saudi to Istanbul via Athens, In Aegean website shows travelers from Extra-Schengen origin to Extra-Schengen destination need to pass through passport control.Will I need airport transit visa for this transfer if I limit myself within the transit area? i am indian and i have heard from my friend who is working in travels that one of his passenger got this experience for stop over visa issue and he paid visa for his family too.

Thanks in advance
Apparently, according to the EC Indian passport holders are not required to hold a Schengen visa when transiting via Greece to a non-Schengen country (provided that they to do not leave the international/non-Schengen area of the terminal):
https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/si...l_lists_en.pdf

Yet it would be definitely safer to double-check this with the Greek authorities (Foreign Ministry) or the airport. I am not sure about the exact definition of a transit, but I guess that if you are staying in the airport only for a few hours that should be fine, in other countries a 24h threshold applies. Potential visa requirements to enter Turkey still apply of course.

Last edited by East_and_West; Jul 9, 18 at 5:06 am
Old Jul 9, 18, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by East_and_West View Post
Apparently, according to the EC Indian passport holders are not required to hold a Schengen visa when transiting via Greece to a non-Schengen country (provided that they to do not leave the international/non-Schengen area of the terminal):
https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/si...l_lists_en.pdf

Yet it would be definitely safer to double-check this with the Greek authorities (Foreign Ministry) or the airport. I am not sure about the exact definition of a transit, but I guess that if you are staying in the airport only for a few hours that should be fine, in other countries a 24h threshold applies. Potential visa requirements to enter Turkey still apply of course.
TIMATEC/Expertflyer agrees too. As this is what the airlines use, I think the TO should be fine:

Information as of 09JUL18 / 1107
National India (IN) /Embarkation Saudi Arabia (SA)
Transit Greece (GR) /Destination Turkey (TR)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW
Greece (GR)

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Passengers transiting through Athens
(ATH) and arriving from a non-Schengen Member State with a
confirmed onward ticket for a flight within 24 hours to a
third country which is not a Schengen Member State. They must:
- stay in the international transit area of the airport, and
- have documents required for the next destination.
Warning:
- Passengers transiting through two airports in the Schengen
Area must comply with entry regulations of the first
Schengen Member State.

Greece (GR)

Vaccinations not required.
Turkey (TR)

Passport required.
- Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be
valid for a minimum of 150 days from the arrival date.
- When passengers travel with a normal passport valid for a
minimum of 60 days from the arrival date, they are allowed
to enter after paying a fee.

Visa required, except for Passengers of Turkish origin with a
foreign passport and a national ID card issued by Turkey
(Nufus Card).
- OR
Visa Issuance:
- E-visas can be obtained before departure at
www.evisa.gov.tr

Visa required, except for Nationals of India with a normal
passport and a visa issued by Ireland (Rep.), USA, United