FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   Greek destinations for short home-ATH-there trips (to get 4 segments for A3*G) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/1916863-greek-destinations-short-home-ath-there-trips-get-4-segments-a3-g.html)

haa Jun 28, 2018 1:54 am

Greek destinations for short home-ATH-there trips (to get 4 segments for A3*G)

I've been thinking of doing a short trip to some interesting Greek destinations, to see a nice small island place (after a wonderful MegaDo experience of Mykonos) and at the same time get 4 A3 segments flying home-ATH-somewhere and perhaps use the upgrade coupons as well.

I looked at the A3/OA greek destinations from the viewpoint of a short 1-night trip, or day trip with the chance to walk and look around a little.

See the wikipost for this thread and comment and edit the list.

I did this as I wanted to have it, maybe it is useful for others, too.

From this ist I'm thinking first destinations Heraklion, Mykonos, Chios, or Skiathos.

The secret plan to get people to visit Greece due to the segment requirement (if not enough miles otherwise) seems to work ;-)

Knobbgb Jun 28, 2018 2:47 am

Good idea. I've added some info for Paros. Is that the type of thing you intended or would you prefer more detail?

haa Jun 29, 2018 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb (Post 29915218)
Good idea. I've added some info for Paros. Is that the type of thing you intended or would you prefer more detail?

Thanks for adding great information, exactly what I was hoping to see (J availability, warnings, bus recommendations).

I'm hoping others will find this list useful also, if they are looking for something more than "immediate turns on A3" which has it's own wiki page already.

fransknorge Jun 29, 2018 4:12 am

This is very useful, thanks for starting this. I can add more details as go through the islands (Santorini and Thessaloniki done, next is Rhodes).

Xandrios Jun 29, 2018 11:03 am

Good idea. I've updated Skyros as I have visited a few times over the years (most recent a couple weeks back).

intuition Jul 30, 2018 5:06 am

1 Attachment(s)
Aegean web is willing to sell a ATH-KIT-ATH with only 20 minutes turn-around. Any comments on the feasibility to actually fly on that ticket?
(It is ATR and I am suspecting departing passengers at KIT might already be on tarmac when plane arrives, with gate closed?)

GBobon Jul 30, 2018 6:05 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 30027135)
A
(It is ATR and I am suspecting departing passengers at KIT might already be on tarmac when plane arrives, with gate closed?)

i dont think this is the case... the aircraft must be cleaned and refuelled and after that the gate will be opened for boarding...

Chiller3333 Jul 30, 2018 6:23 am

On FR24 it looks like OA56 and OA57 are operated by the same plane.

Knobbgb Jul 30, 2018 10:25 am

Originally Posted by GBobon (Post 30027244)
i dont think this is the case... the aircraft must be cleaned and refuelled and after that the gate will be opened for boarding...

Refueled? Really? That's not happening at KIT and the 'cleaning' will consist of the single FA just checking everything is in place (seats and shades up, seatbelts neatly folded, safety cards in place) and removing any obvious rubbish.

Here's how it probably happens: Pax de-plane and walk 20M to the terminal, pilots do paperwork while FA tidies. Then all three of them will pop behind the terminal for a quick cigarette. When the crew are ready, the new pax. will walk across from the terminal and board. IT SHOULD be do-able and the best thing is probably to have a word with the FA or one of the ground crew on disembarking the aircraft so they can look out for you. The same couple of people will be dealing with everything. It goes without saying that OLCI is a must. I doubt security will be closed. Here it's just a local police who works the machine and he/she can't leave the airport until the flight departs in any case.

That's how it's always worked for me at these small, single-flight turboprop airports but I haven't been to KIT. It for sure was like that at the old Paros airport and at Naxos - being Greece the cigarette was seemingly mandatory.

KLouis Jul 30, 2018 7:00 pm

@Knobbgb: Your description of how everything's being handled is absolutely correct with a small statistical uncertainty: Over the last years the number of smokers in Greece has dropped substantially, especially among males! Based on present statistics, the most likely scenario is that the only crew member who'll walk over around the building for a quick smoke will be the FA ;)

intuition Jul 31, 2018 12:12 am

I resisted to go to KIT this time around. Mainly because I have a time restraint on this trip. I might try it out on a another occasion, where missing the flight wouldn't mess up a schedule.

By the way, love the KIT terminal building:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0abe8ec1a9.png

Also, I love how the Bachmann plastic model is virtually the same design!

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4f8d8ef956.jpg

Knobbgb Jul 31, 2018 12:30 am

Originally Posted by KLouis (Post 30029777)
@Knobbgb: Your description of how everything's being handled is absolutely correct with a small statistical uncertainty: Over the last years the number of smokers in Greece has dropped substantially, especially among males! Based on present statistics, the most likely scenario is that the only crew member who'll walk over around the building for a quick smoke will be the FA ;)

HA - but not strictly accurate because, this being the modern 21st century Greece, you'll also notice that Olympic have now actually employed a single MALE cabin crew member. And apparently they are looking at the possibility of female pilots around 2025! Before I get flamed - I really am joking.

KLouis Jul 31, 2018 1:09 am

I was statistically correct! :D

frenchft Jul 31, 2018 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb (Post 30028029)
Refueled? Really? That's not happening at KIT and the 'cleaning' will consist of the single FA just checking everything is in place (seats and shades up, seatbelts neatly folded, safety cards in place) and removing any obvious rubbish.

Here's how it probably happens: Pax de-plane and walk 20M to the terminal, pilots do paperwork while FA tidies. Then all three of them will pop behind the terminal for a quick cigarette. When the crew are ready, the new pax. will walk across from the terminal and board. IT SHOULD be do-able and the best thing is probably to have a word with the FA or one of the ground crew on disembarking the aircraft so they can look out for you. The same couple of people will be dealing with everything. It goes without saying that OLCI is a must. I doubt security will be closed. Here it's just a local police who works the machine and he/she can't leave the airport until the flight departs in any case.

That's how it's always worked for me at these small, single-flight turboprop airports but I haven't been to KIT. It for sure was like that at the old Paros airport and at Naxos - being Greece the cigarette was seemingly mandatory.

saw the same in Milos :)

fransknorge Oct 18, 2018 7:33 am

Details for Rhodes added to Wiki.