Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

A3 not awarding miles for Swiss flights taken

Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Hello,

Not sure whether I should be opening this thread here or in the Swiss section.

Back in January, I flew NRT - ZRH - MAD with Swiss Air, using my Miles & Bonus account number. Two weeks after the flight I used the automated system to claim the miles and got an automated response that miles have already been credited to my account (not true). So I called Aegean support who asked me to send over to them my boarding passes + ticket booked + screenshot of my account that shows no miles were awarded. I did so and they said they passed everything over to Swiss. Since then it has been 6 whole months, with me calling Aegean every couple of weeks to check the status of this but the issue just seems not to resolve. Aegean claims they cannot do anything as Swiss must credit the miles, every time I call they tell me they send them a reminder to respond to the case but Swiss simply does not respond.

Has anyone faced any such issue before? Who should I contact regarding this? Can an airline just refuse to respond, is there no SLA in place for such cases?

Thanks.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
As it is entirely plausible that such a routing on Swiss could earn absolutelty nothing in Miles&Bonus, there is some crucial information missing here.

Were all flights actually operated by Swiss? What is the airline code that appears on each flight segment (is it LX, or are there others?). And which booking classes were you travelling in?

Almost half of all Swiss economy classes earn nothing in Aegean. Therefore it is important to know what booking classes your ticket was issued in. It is also very important to know if there were any codeshares in play.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Hi irishguy28, thanks for the reply.

As I said in my first message the issue is not with the booking class, it is that the system somehow identifies the miles as already credited although they are not.

To answer your question, the ticket was on V fare, which is supposed to award around 3000 miles for NRT - ZRH (LX161) and 400 miles for ZRH - MAD (LX2032), so around 3400 miles in total. Both flights were operated by Swiss, no code share.

What is interesting is that for my inbound flight into NRT (again with Swiss) the miles were awarded very fast and automatically, without any need for manual claim. The issue arose with the outbound flight for some reason.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
I had a similar issue with Avianca but the miles were credited a few weeks after as i got in contact with A3. A3 is correct. Once you sent them your boarding pass etc then they contact the airline (in your case swiss) and they have to credit the miles.
I used the upgrade bid system with Avianca and my ticket changed from O to I and i could not get the miles. Once i got in contact with A3 i sent them all the details and a few weeks after i received the miles.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Hi Ermi, thanks for the reply.

The issue is that Swiss do not reply. They do not decline, they just do not bother to reply. As this is going on for 6 months now, I am wondering, is there no SLA / deadline for airlines to reply in such cases?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
Originally Posted by Alex1986

The issue is that Swiss do not reply. They do not decline, they just do not bother to reply. As this is going on for 6 months now, I am wondering, is there no SLA / deadline for airlines to reply in such cases?
I wouldn't normally recommend this for an M&B crediting issue but as it seems like LX are simply ignoring the message from A3, have you considered asking the Swiss Lurker on here if they can have a look at it? They'll probably say they can't help but at this stage, it seems worth a shot to me. Good luck!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpb_croppers63
I wouldn't normally recommend this for an M&B crediting issue but as it seems like LX are simply ignoring the message from A3, have you considered asking the Swiss Lurker on here if they can have a look at it? They'll probably say they can't help but at this stage, it seems worth a shot to me. Good luck!
I have done it already but he is not replying either
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:25 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador

Yes, there is - under Star Alliance rules the operating airline must respond within two weeks of receiving the claim. If they fail to do so then A3 can force the credit through and charge LX for it. You may well need to press A3 to do this - the airlines dont generally like to do it.

The problem comes if LX does respond, but either just acknowledges the request or denies the claim. At that point it can drag out forever ...
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
To answer your question, the ticket was on V fare, which is supposed to award around 3000 miles for NRT - ZRH (LX161) and 400 miles for ZRH - MAD (LX2032), so around 3400 miles in total. Both flights were operated by Swiss, no code share. What is interesting is that for my inbound flight into NRT (again with Swiss) the miles were awarded very fast and automatically, without any need for manual claim. The issue arose with the outbound flight for some reason.
Can you be more specific about your booking codes for each flight?
Looking at your past e-ticket (hopefully you still have a copy), do all flights show as booked into V?
MAD-ZRH -V
ZRH-NRT -V
NRT-ZRH -V
ZRH-MAD -V

you might have a mixed class booking, such as this one I show screenshots of a random search I just did.
the fare looks like V, but some legs (either the outbound or inbound) actually book in K, which doesn't earn anything.
Sneaky, but it happens a lot.

click on the "economy saver" and "confirm" that you are on V booking class

however, when you go to the next page, and click on "show details" on the right hand side, the result is different from what you thought.
i suspect this is what happened to your ticket (pending your confirmation to the booking codes from your eticket)
irishguy28 likes this.

Last edited by Tokyoite; Jun 26, 2018 at 1:53 pm
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
I have done it already but he is not replying either
That seems like very bad service. Even if it is what Tokyoite says above, they could at least do you the courtesy of a reply!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Yes, there is - under Star Alliance rules the operating airline must respond within two weeks of receiving the claim. If they fail to do so then A3 can force the credit through and charge LX for it. You may well need to press A3 to do this - the airlines dont generally like to do it.

The problem comes if LX does respond, but either just acknowledges the request or denies the claim. At that point it can drag out forever ...
Is this somewhere written, can you please share the link? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:48 am

See this (link). found it with a Google search in 1 minute.
Frankly, it seems you are waiting for answers from the forum.
I humbly suggest you also put some work into helping yourself too. You cant just expect answers to be spoon fed.

Anyway, did you confirm that ALL sectors of your ticket were booked in V class?
They might be ignoring you because it was obvious (from the accrual chart and your booking class) that your claim wasn't warranted any reply. Better to check your info is correct before launching a claim for late reply.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:05 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
See this (link). found it with a Google search in 1 minute.
With respect, that really doesn't help the OP - what I am talking about is an internal Star Alliance procedure, the link is for A3's public page on when to expect miles to post and how to retroclaim.

"Your request will be processed within 14 days" is merely the amount of time A3 has under Star rules to submit the request to LX. LX then has a further 14 days to respond, and only if they completely fail to do so can A3 force the credit. If there is even an acknowledgement then the clock can tick forever.

I'm not aware of this being written in any public document because as mentioned it's part of Star Alliance's internal procedures, but certainly in the times of BD being in Star it existed (because I used it on a UA retrocredit request), and I seem to recall I have done the same with A3 subsequently - although the details are sketchy in my mind on the latter one.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
With respect, that really doesn't help the OP - what I am talking about is an internal Star Alliance procedure, the link is for A3's public page on when to expect miles to post and how to retroclaim.

"Your request will be processed within 14 days" is merely the amount of time A3 has under Star rules to submit the request to LX. LX then has a further 14 days to respond, and only if they completely fail to do so can A3 force the credit. If there is even an acknowledgement then the clock can tick forever.

I'm not aware of this being written in any public document because as mentioned it's part of Star Alliance's internal procedures, but certainly in the times of BD being in Star it existed (because I used it on a UA retrocredit request), and I seem to recall I have done the same with A3 subsequently - although the details are sketchy in my mind on the latter one.
Thanks for the reply NWIFlyer. So, it's nowhere officially written as I understand, but I might give it a try and see how it goes. On top of that Swiss Air might have acknowledged receipt of the claim (I need to check with A3), so in that case I am helpless.

I cannot understand these rules though, so a company can just acknowledge receipt of a claim and then never come back? There is nothing in place to protect the end customer?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:50 am

Ok. hope you find any compelling evidence to force A3 to credit you the miles.
This miles game is played on the premise that the FFP has the sole right of ownership and governance of the miles accrual and usage. they can even shutter the program with minimum notice and zero compensation.
arguing about whether you got a response or not wont get you anywhere, unless of course you merit the miles.
Which is why I keep asking the OP to verify that he was indeed booked in an eligible fare class for the missing miles flight legs.

If you need to force the matter, write a complaint letter to M&B, or call them 100 times.
Best they can do is to admit they were wrong, credit you the missing miles, and end of story.
Likely, they will tell you to wait, or tell you the initial response (miles have already been claimed), or tell you that no actual is possible. As you are aware, you can only submit one retro claim for each ticket, so you cannot resubmit again.
Worst case is, they shut down your account and you lose all miles.

Be prepared to present data of your ticket to back your claim for the miles. Dont throw away the boarding passes.

In short, just tread carefully, and pick your battles.
You are realistically not entitled to anything in this miles game. You play on their field, within their conditions.

------------------------------
FYI 1: https://en.aegeanair.com/conditions-...nd-conditions/
CHAPTER 10: AEGEAN PARTNERSHIP WITH AIRLINE COMPANIES-MEMBERS OF STAR ALLIANCE
MILES ACCRUAL FROM STAR-ALLIANCE FLIGHTS:

To register Miles in an Account......... Tickets issued with a fare not included in the existing Star Alliance member-carrier’s Mile Accrual Charts do not earn Miles.
Each member-passenger must indicate his/her Account Number when reserving an airline ticket, and present the Card at check-in. Otherwise proper registration of the Miles will not be possible. Ticket coupons or receipts, boarding passes, and/or any other relevant documentary evidence should be retained by the Member until the Miles attributable to the Star Alliance flights appear in his/her account. Aegean may, at its discretion, determine whether the documents submitted by the Member constitute sufficient proof or not.
In the event that earned Miles do not appear in the Account one 7 days following the flight event, please fill out the online request form to retroactively claim the flight’s miles (through the Online Miles+Bonus Account Management on Aegean’s website, www.aegeanair.com). The corresponding miles will be credited to the Member's Account after two (2) weeks, at the latest, upon a reply from the Star Alliance member-carrier that executed the flight in question. Existing Miles+Bonus members can claim their miles retroactively for flights that took place up to 12 months prior to their retro-claim request (exception: Air New Zealand, LOT Polish, South Africa Airways and TAP Portugal, for which retro-claim is viable for flights taken place up to 6 months prior to retro-claim request).
Any objections relating to Miles Account transactions should be notified to Aegean within the time set by each Star Alliance member-airline, as mentioned on the official Aegean website and specifically in the Miles&Bonus Section, otherwise they will be lost.
------------------------------
FYI2: https://en.aegeanair.com/conditions-...tions-notices/
What if Aegean is unable to resolve your complaint?

An Online Dispute Resolution platform (ODR platform) has been set up by the European Commission: http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/ which provides easy access to alternative dispute resolution (ADR). Please note, Aegean is not currently subscribed to an approved ADR scheme therefore neither the ODR platform nor any approved ADR providers will be able to accept your complaint. Should you wish to make a complaint in the United Kingdom, you can log your complaint with CAA’s Passenger Advice and Complaints Team (PACT) by completing the online complaint form via the CAA website: www.caa.co.uk/passengercomplaints. Under the subtitle ‘How the CAA can Help’ you will need to click on the link ‘Refer your complaint to us’. You can then access the CAA’s consumer portal where you can submit your complaint to PACT. Should you wish to make a complaint in another jurisdiction, click here, for a list of relevant National Enforcement Bodies.

If Aegean is unable to resolve your complaint, you can log your complaint with a local complaints service, in the United Kingdom this is the CAA’s Passenger Advice and Complaints Team (PACT) by completing the online complaint form via the CAA website: caa.co.uk/passengercomplaints. Under the subtitle ‘How the CAA can Help’, you will need to click on the link ‘Refer your complaint to us’. You can then access the CAA’s consumer portal where you can submit your complaint to PACT. Should you wish to make a complaint in another jurisdiction, click here, for a list of relevant National Enforcement Bodies.

If court proceedings are necessary, Katten Muchin Rosenman UK LLP is authorised to accept service of court proceedings in England or Wales on behalf of Aegean. Under rule

Last edited by Tokyoite; Jun 27, 2018 at 7:01 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.