New "enhancement": alcohol

Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

New "enhancement": alcohol

I found out yesterday that as of last April on all "seasonal" (summer) flights from/to HER, RHO and CFU but not from/to ATH alcoholic beverages can now only be purchased for money! €4 for a can of beer, €6-7 for a small bottle of wine and €6 for 50 cl of "hard" liquor. They also sell 50 gr of olives and 75 gr of cashew nuts, both for €3. I was told that Russian destinations are also exempt from that, but the flight purser who gave me the info was not 100% certain about that. She was not certain either about flights to/from the remaining Greek airports serving seasonal destinations.

Last edited by KLouis; Jun 18, 2018 at 8:33 pm
Old Jun 16, 2018, 4:57 am
Suspended

OK this is one of the enhancement I can live with. I can't bear the enhancement of the seat selection fees for Gold.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: A3*G
So on these specific flights one has to pay for:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Seat selection

The difference between Aegean and the other low-cost carriers (e.g. Ryanair, EasyJet, etc.) is only the food, which is still free on Aegean.

Are they testing this new policy on the summer routes, in order to evaluate customers' reactions and introduce it on all routes?
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Argyris
So on these specific flights one has to pay for:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Seat selection

The difference between Aegean and the other low-cost carriers (e.g. Ryanair, EasyJet, etc.) is only the food, which is still free on Aegean.

Are they testing this new policy on the summer routes, in order to evaluate customers' reactions and introduce it on all routes?
The other low-cost carriers? Let's not exaggerate. I can name lots of examples that make the named LCCs much, much less "attractive" than A3. A "better" comparison would be to US carriers.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by KLouis
The other low-cost carriers? Let's not exaggerate. I can name lots of examples that make the named LCCs much, much less "attractive" than A3. A "better" comparison would be to US carriers.
I wasn't exaggerating. The LCCs I had in mind are the ones I gave as examples.
Besides food service on A3 flights, I can't see any other significant differences. One would argue, that seats in Ryanair and EasyJet are more dense. Let's wait for the arrival of the new A3 Airbus planes.

'My point is that the A3 experience is constantly declining. They are offering less, while the airfares are sky-high.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Besides food service on A3 flights, I can't see any other significant differences. One would argue, that seats in Ryanair and EasyJet are more dense. Let's wait for the arrival of the new A3 Airbus planes.

'My point is that the A3 experience is constantly declining. They are offering less, while the airfares are sky-high.
I partially agree. The included food is one of the unique things of A3 but there is quite a lot of competition. This is what happened to Brussels Airlines and many other *A carriers.
However, we can't deny A3 is a sweet spot to gain *A Gold and thus the *A benefits are there in comparison to low cost carriers.
Let us hope their FFP will not become revenue-based like M&M...
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:09 am
Suspended

Have you been on BA or IB airplane yet? They are pseudo-LCC now.

A3 are still far ahead!

At least you can still get:
1, Free seat selection as Gold as long as you are not fussy about sitting in front
2, Free beverages as long as you do not order alcohol.

Point me to one single LCC in Europe offering free seat selection, free beverage service and free food?

Criticism has to be fair. I think you have not been fair to criticize A3. Like KLouis said, you have to compare A3 to American legacy carriers, not LCC. At least A3 still provide all service for free while introduce payable portion of service. But they have free version for you which LCC does not.
DELLAS and Jma12 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by chongcao

A3 are still far ahead!

1, Free seat selection as Gold as long as you are not fussy about sitting in front

Point me to one single LCC in Europe offering free seat selection, free beverage service and free food?

Criticism has to be fair. I think you have not been fair to criticize A3. Like KLouis said, you have to compare A3 to American legacy carriers, not LCC. At least A3 still provide all service for free while introduce payable portion of service. But they have free version for you which LCC does not.
Agreed, but we need to probably stop looking at this as an A3 vs LH or LH vs AF (etc.) issue, and more as a passenger vs airlines issue. Otherwise we will soon be left with absolutely nothing, as the airline industry collectively pushes forward with cost-cutting, profit-enhancing (or survival-ensuring) changes. Voicing our concerns and criticism is important, otherwise the shift to low-cost style travel will become universal (and I think irreversible).
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
I found out yesterday that as of last April on all "seasonal" (summer) flights from/to HER, RHO and CFU but not from/to ATH alcoholic beverages can now only be purchased for money! €4 for a can of beer, €6-7 for a small bottle of wine and €6 for 50 cl of "hard" liquor. They also sell 50 gr of olives and 75 gr of cashew nuts, both for €3. I was told that Russian destinations are also exempt from that, but the flight purser who gave me the info was not 100% certain about that. She was not certain either about flights to/from the remaining seasonal Greek airports serving seasonal destinations.
AFAIK this was only for low yield specific flights. Usually the ones where the majority of seats are sold via local Tour Operators in inclusive packages. This indeed makes sense as A3 can offer better rates to those operators and I know of very few ''TUI'' type of operations that throw in free booze. These type of flights are basically Charter flights.
MrArkadin and Dan72 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao
A3 are still far ahead!
This is very true, but we all can see the dynamic here.

I flew recently Iberia and Royal Air Maroc on the same day, both in Economy.
- Iberia: brand new A321, true low-cost experience, nothing is for free, and the legroom is absolutely awful.
- RAM: old 737-700, but legroom, seat comfort, food and drinks in Economy were vastly superior to an intra-european Business class. (The actual business class on the same flight had a comfy 2+2 configuration, similar to legacy American carriers).

15 years ago, European airlines were providing the same service on Economy that RAM is (still) providing today in Economy.
The service that European carriers are providing in regional Business today is similar to the one they provided in Economy 15 years ago.

So yes, Aegean is still way better than a low-cost carrier like Iberia; but we can legitimately be afraid of where this is going.

Last edited by LacMajeur; Jun 18, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Didn't get that, is that for international flights?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrHalxx
Didn't get that, is that for international flights?
Yes; read my OP a little more carefully. It's all in there!

PS There was never free alcohol on domestic flights, as a matter of fact, they were always alcohol-free...

Last edited by KLouis; Jun 19, 2018 at 1:08 am Reason: Added PS
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
It's pretty much about what they are competing with, it seems? Those are leisure routes and they are mostly competing with LCCs and 'legacy' airlines with BoB (buy on board) service in Y like BA. They have no incentive to offer free alcoholic drinks in Y when their competitors are offering essentially nothing (not even soft drinks) for free.

Not that I'm saying it should be liked, but I'm just saying that I can see why they do that.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:54 am

That being said, their competitors on the flagship route ATH-LON offer nothing as well

Are flights from/to KLX included? What I am afraid of is that this might be a "test" for the mainline flights.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Has anyone experienced the "enhancement" or is it just rumors?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.