Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

A3/OA processes following flight cancellation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 11:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

Just to set my expectations right, how quickly/slowly do A3/OA respond to request for a letter stating the flight was cancelled etc., and how quickly do they tend to deal with expense claims, just so I know what to expect in advance?

If it makes any difference I'm an A3 gold.

I wasn't going to ask for reimbursement of expenses if the whole thing was handled well and smoothly (it wasn't in a mass cancellation situation), but it wasn't, so I am going to ask them for reimbursement.

If anyone has any other relevant information pertaining to flight cancellations on A3/OA and how they handle them, that would also be most welcome. Thank you!

Last edited by LTN Phobia; May 30, 2018 at 11:42 pm
Old May 31, 2018, 9:46 am

Which flight was cancelled (one directly affected by yesterday's ATC strike?) and what wasn't "smooth" in the process?
Old May 31, 2018, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Not the strike (on a different day, in fact).

What was not smooth were:

There was a distinct lack of information at the airport and in the lounge. The first I got to know about the cancellation was via a text message over an hour after scheduled departure. They could have provided explanations without causing undue alarm while waiting for a decision, but instead said nothing in the meantime. I could have self-assessed the situation and made alternative arrangements had I been given more info.

Then there was no information about which carousel the baggage was coming out of, which caused everyone to wander around the baggage hall aimlessly for a while. It was only through the keen-eyed passenger and self-help among passengers that identified the carousel. Baggage desk was a bit swamped so couldn't ask anyone.

This was followed by a clear breach of EU261 at the ticket desk which I can forgive them for as I don't particularly condone the regulations to be honest (I find it excessively burdensome on airlines and I have some complicated concerns about the whole concept which I won't go into here as it's rather OT) and in fact feel sorry for the airline for cancellation that wasn't exactly caused by their own action. In fact I often knowingly fail to claim for my entitlement, but this is not good for 'normal' travellers with no knowledge of the regs and potentially short of money - they might be able to ill afford the extra costs etc.

To answer one of my questions though, the letter was provided very promptly, although they declined to state some of the information that I requested (which could well stuff a large part of my insurance claim, unfortunately).
Old May 31, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
This was followed by a clear breach of EU261 at the ticket desk which I can forgive them for as I don't particularly condone the regulations to be honest (I find it excessively burdensome on airlines and I have some complicated concerns about the whole concept which I won't go into here as it's rather OT) and in fact feel sorry for the airline for cancellation that wasn't exactly caused by their own action. In fact I often knowingly fail to claim for my entitlement, but this is not good for 'normal' travellers with no knowledge of the regs and potentially short of money - they might be able to ill afford the extra costs etc.
And your statement in english or greek again, please? What are you looking for, what's your intention?
Old May 31, 2018, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
And your statement in english or greek again, please? What are you looking for, what's your intention?
I was just answering KLouis regarding "what wasn't smooth".

For the purpose of my queries, you can completely ignore that paragraph as it is not exactly relevant to the query contained in my first post in this thread.

Since I answered one of my questions already by virtue of A3 providing the letter, the only remaining information I am looking for is:

- how quickly do they tend to deal with expense claims (just so that I will know what to expect, rather than because I have a deadline or anything similar)

My intentions? Claim for some of the expenses incurred under the EU261 regs, although I probably would not have done so if I believed they handled things strictly in accordance with the EU261. (The total expense incurred is around €800 but I'm intending to claim a small portion of it)
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:31 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
in fact feel sorry for the airline for cancellation that wasn't exactly caused by their own action.
no worries, they are not paying from their own pocket compensations and other costs occurred due to a cancelation if the event was caused by a contractor...
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GBobon
no worries, they are not paying from their own pocket compensations and other costs occurred due to a cancelation if the event was caused by a contractor...
The culprit being Ἄνεμοι, there may be some difficulties for A3/OA to recover money from them!
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:55 am

thats their business, not your, and as per regulations they should pay compensations no matter what is going on between them and their contractors
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
In fact I often knowingly fail to claim for my entitlement, but this is not good for 'normal' travellers with no knowledge of the regs and potentially short of money - they might be able to ill afford the extra costs etc.
Ah yes, the poor airlines who unfairly pay out due to this odious regulation. I mean, if an airline or its contractor fails to provide its service, it's clearly the customers that should bear the associated costs!! If only they weren't held to such high standards - such as getting customers to their booked destination on the same date! The bus, ferry and train companies aren't held to this standard! How many airlines have gone out of business because of all these payouts? 17 at the last count, wasn't it? If only some help would come to these airlines to prevent them from having to pay out left, right and centre, it's like they're spewing cash like a spigot, even before the passengers request it! It's probably the sole reason that A3 started charging for seats! If only there was some way the airlines could insure themselves against the ups and downs of normal business!

Oh, wait a sec....
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GBobon
thats their business, not your, and as per regulations they should pay compensations no matter what is going on between them and their contractors
Anemoi are Greek wind gods... not contractors
GBobon likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jun 1, 2018 at 3:54 am
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:46 am

haha, cool. didnt google it tbh to see what youre talking about
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:48 am

@irishguy28 and only about 15% of pax know their rights and chase the airlines for compensations. most of the times the airlines reply that the delay was caused by an extraordinary circumstances, which often is not true, and people stop following up... so finally maybe 1% get their comp?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.