Getting on UA upgrade list with A3*G

Old May 25, 18, 6:23 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Yorkshire, UK
Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Posts: 1,787
Getting on UA upgrade list with A3*G

A couple of times when travelling in the US I've added my name to the upgrade list for UA flights with my A3*G card. Always disappointing to see yourself ranked 58/61. Has anyone had any luck getting an upgrade on a UA flight this way?
roberino is offline  
Old May 26, 18, 8:52 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Posts: 1,430
How can you add yourself to he upgrade list without having a MP number attached to the reservation?
Houminer is offline  
Old May 26, 18, 8:56 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ZRH/SFO
Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Posts: 3,652
Originally Posted by roberino View Post
A couple of times when travelling in the US I've added my name to the upgrade list for UA flights with my A3*G card. Always disappointing to see yourself ranked 58/61. Has anyone had any luck getting an upgrade on a UA flight this way?
With A3*G, you're not eligible for the UA Unlimited Domestic Upgrades: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../upgrades.html
Air Rarotonga is offline  
Old May 26, 18, 6:07 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: YVR
Programs: A3*G, AC
Posts: 1,575
I'd be quite interested to find out how you're getting on the upgrade list, actually. Even right at the back of the list is better than nothing, given how I've spent far more time on UA lately than I'd like to admit.
DJ Bitterbarn is offline  
Old May 27, 18, 12:43 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Yorkshire, UK
Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Posts: 1,787
Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn View Post
I'd be quite interested to find out how you're getting on the upgrade list, actually. Even right at the back of the list is better than nothing, given how I've spent far more time on UA lately than I'd like to admit.
It was at least 5 years ago, and I just asked.
roberino is offline  
Old May 28, 18, 1:21 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: YVR
Programs: A3*G, AC
Posts: 1,575
Originally Posted by roberino View Post
It was at least 5 years ago, and I just asked.
That actually may work, hmmm. I'll have to give it a try next time.
DJ Bitterbarn is offline  
Old May 28, 18, 1:36 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 10,289
Originally Posted by roberino View Post
Always disappointing to see yourself ranked 58/61.
Regardless how you got yourself on the list, 58/61 was not disappointing.

1/x is always the most disappointing.
Tokyoite likes this.
garykung is offline  
Old May 28, 18, 10:13 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 3,583
They can't put you on the upgrade list with non UA status. You will be lucky if you can get an economy plus seat for free the day of the flight as a *A gold.
nk15 is offline  
Old May 28, 18, 10:23 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Programs: NZ *G
Posts: 5,736
Not surprising with E+ as that is not and never has been a *G benefit... Yes, it used to be fairly normal..... I know..... As to the UG list, I had a GA try very hard to get me (NZ *G) onto the list..even though I kept telling her I wasn't eligible! Had to appreciate the effort though...
trooper is online now  
Old May 28, 18, 11:36 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Yorkshire, UK
Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Posts: 1,787
Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
They can't put you on the upgrade list with non UA status. You will be lucky if you can get an economy plus seat for free the day of the flight as a *A gold.
E+ FOC: 3/6 on my January trip and 4/6 on my May trip. Just gotta ask nicely.
roberino is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread