Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24 hour cancellation policy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:41 am
Original Poster

24 hour cancellation policy

Does anyone know if Aegean or its Olympic subsidiary honors the US DOT required 24 hour grace period for cancellations / refunds?

More generally, I'm having a very hard time finding clear information on this topic for flights that do not originate or terminate in the U.S.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:07 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Does the rule apply to flights not going to/from the US?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:12 am
Original Poster

That's the question. Foreign carriers don't specifically mention it on their websites like US airlines do, but the DOT rules read like they apply to anyone marketing flights to Americans. I don't know how to tell in advance of booking.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by jspivey4
That's the question. Foreign carriers don't specifically mention it on their websites like US airlines do, but the DOT rules read like they apply to anyone marketing flights to Americans. I don't know how to tell in advance of booking.
Google it when i doubt! The rule applies to Covered carriers as per 14 CFR 259.5(b)(4), 76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011. These are:
Covered carrier means a certificated carrier, a commuter carrier, or a foreign air carrier operating to, from or within the United States, conducting scheduled passenger service or public charter service with at least one aircraft having a designed seating capacity of 30 or more seats.

Thus, it certainly does not apply to Aegean. The "marketed to the US, etc., means that the "covered airlines", i.e. also European ones, have to mention this in their web sites (14 CFR 259.6 ).
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Simple answer is NO. Aegean does not fly to/from the US, so the DOT rule doesn't apply. If you need 24hr free cancellation, book through a US based Online Travel Agency (Expedia US, Orbitz etc.)
yauee likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Simple answer is NO. Aegean does not fly to/from the US, so the DOT rule doesn't apply. If you need 24hr free cancellation, book through a US based Online Travel Agency (Expedia US, Orbitz etc.)
This will not guarantee you 24 hour cancellation. Both Expedia and Orbitz state tickets are non refundable and do not give you option for 24 h cancellation (as they do for majority of airlines).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.