Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by frogster
Currently I've got 4 flights booked on A3 (flights 841 and 7908 on the 23rd and 7901 and 840 on the 25th).

For all of them EF (the free version) is showing the majority of seats as blocked (not occupied) with only a handfull occupied seats. I can't access seat maps online or in the app since two flights were upgraded and the other two were waitlisted...

Is there a problem reporting data to expertflyer or are all the flights completely booked out in Y? Without seeing the seat map I'm loathe to call in regarding selecting a seat on the waitlisted segments
As far as I can see by checking only your 1st flight, it is not booked out in Y (at least 7 are shown for Y class).

Below is your flight's seat map: EF shows all seats that are cost-free for *G prior to OLCI as blocked (i.e. the ones in the back), while paid seats are denoted by $P. In addition, the up-front aisle seats are also shown as blocked too (no idea why). Any *reserved* seats (whether free or paid), are shown in blue.

So basically any seat which is *not* entirely marked in blue, is actually available (even if marked as blocked).

Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:37 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Originally Posted by frogster
Without seeing the seat map I'm loathe to call in regarding selecting a seat on the waitlisted segments
you can always simulate a booking and add seats then close the window after you get info you are looking for
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: M&M Frequent Flyer, A3 GOLD
Originally Posted by KLouis
I agree with Knobbgb that this is really weird. The BP is simply scanned when boarding and, to my knowledge, the info on it does not include payments, etc. Moreover, unless the scanner beeps (in which case thay might go check on their computer monitor), they have no way of knowing any "details". Finally "almost" yelling is a behaviour I've never encountered by either A3 (years ago) or Goldair ground agents. Strange!
Well, to be more clear: we (my wife, son and myself) were in the lounge until boarding and when arrived to the gate, we were waiting at the side of the queue, the Goldair lady noticed us, checked the boarding passes, and visibly annoyed commented: where have you been, we were calling you, we have to change your seats... and than the story began... Very unpleasant experience from my perspective.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:49 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I booked a couple of months ago FRA-SKG return, paid for upfront seat at 6 EUR each. Yesterday I used two coupons to upgrade to Business. I told the agent on the phone that I paid for the seats and she cut me short "The seats reservation fees are not refundable". I expressed my disappointment and we went forward with the upgrade.
Then after I tweeted publicly expressing the disappointment. Aegean twitter team contacted me. I emphasized that the seats were now free and Aegean could sell them again, effectively double dipping. Today they contacted me saying they refunded me the 12 EUR.

So I think that all of you in the same situation could push a bit on this, and hopefully Aegean will at least consider leaving those seats free for Gold.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
I booked a couple of months ago FRA-SKG return, paid for upfront seat at 6 EUR each. Yesterday I used two coupons to upgrade to Business. I told the agent on the phone that I paid for the seats and she cut me short "The seats reservation fees are not refundable". I expressed my disappointment and we went forward with the upgrade.
Then after I tweeted publicly expressing the disappointment. Aegean twitter team contacted me. I emphasized that the seats were now free and Aegean could sell them again, effectively double dipping. Today they contacted me saying they refunded me the 12 EUR.

So I think that all of you in the same situation could push a bit on this, and hopefully Aegean will at least consider leaving those seats free for Gold.
Wow, well done on escalating! I would have totally let this slide.

At every opportunity I get, I complain about the seats. I've completed several questionnaires on my experience with my recent flights, and always mention this in as strong language as I can. No idea if it will have any effect, as they are (understandably) trying to be profitable.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Many other airlines offer free preferential seating to their GCH, it's unfortunate that A3 have opted to do things differently as it is a bit of a slap. I guess they could offer a number of vouchers in the same way as they offer upgrades to lessen the insult?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:52 pm

The same happened to me but I was uograded using the Upgrade challenge, and I used the 6 euros I paid to select a seat in another future flight Ihave.
But it had to be done before the upgraded flight flown.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Chr04
The same happened to me but I was uograded using the Upgrade challenge, and I used the 6 euros I paid to select a seat in another future flight Ihave.
But it had to be done before the upgraded flight flown.
How did you do this? Did you call them? Was it straightforward, or did you have to argue?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:44 am

I read much of this thread but didn't find a clear explanation of whether (and when) payable seats are released during check-in, so here is my experience: they are not.

On my two flights last weekend, extra-space seats were charged 15 euro and forward seats 12 euro. These charges were there when I bought the tickets, when I checked in, and whenever I checked, up until the flight time.

What was nice was that at check-in, I was assigned a seat but I could freely change it to any other non-assigned seat, even after I checked in and printed my boarding card. I was not assigned a "good" seat as a *G.

Finally, on the aircraft, people felt free to "upgrade" themselves to exit-row and forward seats. The flight attendants didn't seem to mind much.

Shuly
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:01 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
It was already mentioned for couple of times, unlike LH ot TP, the ”premium” seats sold by A3 are not released for free at any moment.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
There's just been an equipment change from the A320 on my flights in and out of Corfu, so I can choose anyway for free...yippee!

Is it possible to see out of the window in 1A on the De Havilland DHC-8 400, or would it be better in another seat?

Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by blackball
How did you do this? Did you call them? Was it straightforward, or did you have to argue?
Sorry for the late response.
I called them for some asking something, and the the call center agent noticed that I had paid for the seat selection, so she said that untill the departure of the flight I could 'transfer' the booking of the seat in another reservation.
I hung up, look my reservations, I call again, speak to a different lady, and I selected a seat in an another flight.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by headingwest
There's just been an equipment change from the A320 on my flights in and out of Corfu, so I can choose anyway for free...yippee!

Is it possible to see out of the window in 1A on the De Havilland DHC-8 400, or would it be better in another seat?

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think row 1 and row 2 C/D have the very small emergency exit door window.
/Edit: Please tell us about your experience later!
headingwest likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
After having moved my European flying almost entirely to LH/OS over the last year, I decided to check out A3 again and will fly them TXL-ATH-LCA tomorrow. During OLCI, I decided to switch my paid upfront seat from window to aisle in the same row. As a result, they have now informed me that my new seat is unpaid. For me, this is nincompoopery and reconfirms that my decision to jettison Aegean was absolutely correct.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by Arrivals
I'm not absolutely sure, but I think row 1 and row 2 C/D have the very small emergency exit door window.
/Edit: Please tell us about your experience later!
1A DOES have a window but it's not where I'd choose to sit. There is no full-size bulkhead/divider as shown in the diagram, just a half-size one, so you're sat directly opposite the flight attendant. You've also, of course, got no floor storage and one of those trays that fold out of the armrest. Row 2 is a better option (imho). On the right hand side, 2F has NO window at all. There is a small window in the emergency exit door adjacent to those seats but it's quite a way in front of your head position - no good at all for looking out of. Those small red arrows on the diagram you posted both need to be moved forward by one 'position'. I've been on three Olympic Q400s in the last couple of weeks and took seat 3F each time. 2A is fine too.

EDIT: The arrangement on the OA Q400s look just like on this Qantas one: https://travelupdate.boardingarea.co...0-bne-lre-bne/

Last edited by Knobbgb; Mar 2, 2019 at 6:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.