Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G

Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by DrHalxx
If you pre-select, do they move you to the front at OLCI? Or do they seatmap frees up?
As @jerry_greece said, it is likely that if you pre-select a seat, then you get that seat no matter what (imagine if you really wanted a particular seat in the back, and then A3 arbitrarily moved you to the front, without your consent- wouldn't make sense...).

My next flight's OLCI opens tomorrow, and I wanted to try to remove my selected seat, to further test out the theory that Golds get preferential seats automatically at OLCI. However, the system will NOT let me remove the seat! I am forced to pick another one. Furthermore, it will NOT let me pay for an extra legroom or upfront seat - it simply shows that the price is 0 euros for these, then throws an error when I try to complete the "payment". Not sure if this is a bad glitch, or if it has something to do with the fact that I'm waitlisted for a C upgrade (I doubt it...).
1nsane likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by vangelisd
These are the exact rules :
  • Preselection of Standard seats free of chargeEnjoy free of charge preselection of your preferred Standard seats, for all Aegean and Olympic Air operated flights, any time you wish, for you and your travel companions, online or offline through the Aegean's Call Center at 801 11 20000 (from a fixed phone) or at (+30) 210 6261000 (from a mobile phone or from abroad).
  • 50% discount for Up Front seatsSelect your preferred Up Front seats on all Aegean and Olympic Air operated flights and enjoy a 50% exclusive discount, online or offline through the Aegean's Call Center at 801 11 20000 (from a fixed phone) or at (+30) 210 6261000 (from a mobile phone or from abroad). Effective for sales from 01.02.2018 for travel from 12.02.2018 onwards.

No more seating upfront for free or getting a preselected exit row seat for free. Come on Aegean, we're loosing most of the perks day by day.
    Time to send a few more complaints to them, social media, email, call whatever !
Does the online discount really works for *G? I'm TK Elite (and this even shows in MMB in the luggage section) but whenever I pick a seat it asks for the full price. Any suggestions other than calling A3?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
Does the online discount really works for *G? I'm TK Elite (and this even shows in MMB in the luggage section) but whenever I pick a seat it asks for the full price. Any suggestions other than calling A3?
The discount is only available for M&B Gold, not *A Gold:
https://en.aegeanair.com/travel-info...funds_changes/
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by blackball
The discount is only available for M&B Gold, not *A Gold:
https://en.aegeanair.com/travel-info...funds_changes/
Oh boy Thanks anyway ^
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:34 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
@Innocent Abroad, check your PM
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by KLouis

My conclusion: This is certainly related to my *G status, and it must be due to some gold-"favouring" change in A3's IT after the protests that reached them. I can't see another reason why I am flying in the front for free now while in March that was not possible. Of course I'm very happy about that, I just hope that I'm right in my assumption, though. I'll post again in this matter if I notice a change of the "new policy".
I wouldn't dare not assign a seat just in case I end up in the middle seat, so I won't be doing your experiment to see if they'll put me in one of the upfront seats if I don't pre-assign anything at all. (Also A3*G here)

What slightly irritated me is that I changed my flight (the original flight was on a turboprop and I wasn't charged for pre-assigning the upfront seat), and I couldn't pick a seat during that process and I had to make a silly charge of EUR 2.00 after I changed and paid for the flight. I had to go back into my booking, and then pick a seat. Re-entering the card details etc. was more painful than being charged EUR 2.00
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I wouldn't dare not assign a seat just in case I end up in the middle seat, so I won't be doing your experiment to see if they'll put me in one of the upfront seats if I don't pre-assign anything at all. (Also A3*G here)

What slightly irritated me is that I changed my flight (the original flight was on a turboprop and I wasn't charged for pre-assigning the upfront seat), and I couldn't pick a seat during that process and I had to make a silly charge of EUR 2.00 after I changed and paid for the flight. I had to go back into my booking, and then pick a seat. Re-entering the card details etc. was more painful than being charged EUR 2.00
Here's my experience from yesterday, when OLCI opened: I had picked a free seat, and of course was given that seat when attempting to check in. I then called A3 customer support and had them cancel my check in (I found it was NOT possible to completely cancel it online, and have everything start fresh).

I confirmed with the customer rep that when you do NOT pre-select a seat, you are "randomly" given one at OLCI. Of course, we all know from @KLouis that A3 (and other?) Golds are given preferential seats. Indeed, after I attempted to check in again, I got seat 5D! Also, I confirmed with the rep that if there are free C seats up until boarding, then coupon upgrades are possible (even at the gate).

In case you are given a middle seat, you can always call A3 and have it cancelled, then pick one wherever you want. Keep in mind that there are loads of seats available at OLCI, even with very full flights. My conclusion? Unless I really need to pay for a preferential seat, I will never pre-select again. I will wait til OLCI.
nldogbert, LTN Phobia and Knobbgb like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:50 am

why to call the agent? afaik you can offload on your own from their website... there is an option to cancel the checkin, i used it last time in January 2017
1nsane likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by GBobon
why to call the agent? afaik you can offload on your own from their website... there is an option to cancel the checkin, i used it last time in January 2017
I tried that, but it didn't work for me- The seat I had last selected stuck and I could not get the system to assign me a random one when re-starting the check in process from scratch.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:08 am

in my case I was assigned to another seat...
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: A3*G
Another data point: I have a codeshare flight on Aegean metal, originally booked through LH. During the OLCI the system assigned me 24D.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:58 am

So if you cancel and redo your checkin you get a new *random* seat every time?

I will soon have 2 data points to share about what happened to me.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:24 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I didn't pre-assign seats on the flights that I just took. At OLCI which I didn't do until T-24 hours, I was automatically given B (ie. middle) seats towards the back, even though aisle seats a few rows behind the curtain were still available which I moved to.

I decided to move right to the back on the flight that turned out to be almost completely full; this was wise as it was a bus gate at ATH and I was the first off the plane (then last off the bus, by choice).

On the other flight which was only half full, rows 14 to the end were basically all filled up yet there were only 11 passengers in rows 1-12. Nobody was in row 11 and the crew said that each exit row must be occupied. They first asked one member of the couple in 12BC to move to row 11, but they refused to sit apart. Then the FA got the passenger manifest, and selected me and another passenger to move up to row 11.

I assume we were the Golds sitting the furthest forward, as the other guy was at a window seat so two pax had to stand up to let him out.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:49 am

I had two upcoming flights (different bookings) one domestic and one international. Didn't preselect any seats and for both cases I was assigned 15D. Bummer.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Just had OLCI for a flight HER - ATH, no seat pre-selected. And the system "randomly" came up with 6E (up-front seat for M&B *G, but middle seat)
Despite other up-front seats free (aisle and window). And if I wanted to switch to another up-front seat, it showed "2 EUR please".
Would be nice if the "random" system could be tweaked to focus on aisle or window seats

Last edited by Carpacchio; Jul 12, 2018 at 6:19 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.