Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G

Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:27 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I recently had an aegean flight and asked the purser about this. She said that all plans regarding online check in and upgrades (to extra legroom seats) before boarding are final, however even though this scheme should start in a few days the cabin crew has not yet been informed about how to handle this on board. What to do with people who self-upgrade, how to handle upset passengers who paid for their seat while most of the cabin got a free upgrade, etc.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I recently had an aegean flight and asked the purser about this. She said that all plans regarding online check in and upgrades (to extra legroom seats) before boarding are final, however even though this scheme should start in a few days the cabin crew has not yet been informed about how to handle this on board. What to do with people who self-upgrade, how to handle upset passengers who paid for their seat while most of the cabin got a free upgrade, etc.
Other airlines handle it fine that I fly. EI and SK for example. Any passenger self upgrading should be asked for their boarding pass and kindly asked to take their allocated seat. Any seat changes should be at the discretion of the crew. Obviously if there are 2-3 rows of standard seats empty then I am sure that crew will allow them to move. For front seats the rules should be enforced.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:08 pm

Aegean is not capable to handle the on board luggages and the items people bring with them, you think that they handle people moving to an exit row because they found an empty seat?
jerry_greece and salig like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Aegean Miles+Bonus, IHG Rewards Club, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy
I published a post in my personal blog on Feb 2nd, when this new seat reservation scheme kicked in, and today I managed to translate it to English:

https://theflyingexpert.com/2018/02/...eservation-en/

I don't think the situation will change, but at least we can put some pressure on A3 just on the off chance...
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:48 pm

Been following the Aegean forum occasionally. Saw this topic on Aegean charging for seats. Didnt think much about it until today.

At lounge now. Asked for an aisle seat. Ended up in the high twentys. Aisle seats are apparently available up front, but check-in says there is a charge. Flight leaving in 3 hours. This doesnt make sense to me. I am gold with Aegean for a number of years. Does it make sense to put me at the back of the plane (if it was in the middle of the plane, I wouldnt be so bothered)?
BTW - flying to Rome.
Xandrios and AlwaysFlyStar like this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Feb 14, 2018 at 11:13 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:39 am

Make sure to send in your complaint. The only way to get this changed (if at all possible) is by having an overwhelming pushback to these changes.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Make sure to send in your complaint. The only way to get this changed (if at all possible) is by having an overwhelming pushback to these changes.
I gave them some strong feedback the other day. It was almost like an "intervention" to an alcoholic relative who needs to get their life together, lol...I think I have done my duty here, lol...

Personally, I would be moving to empty front section seats after the door closes. If any FAs say anything, they will get the lecture about how they treat their Golds.

Last edited by nk15; Feb 15, 2018 at 9:19 am
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by nk15
I gave them some strong feedback the other day. It was almost like an "intervention" to an alcoholic relative who needs to get their life together, lol...I think I have done my duty here, lol...

Personally, I would be moving to empty front section seats after the door closes. If any FAs say anything, they will get the lecture about how they treat their Golds.
...Risking being responsible for a delay of the flight or, in the worst case, being thrown out of the flight. Really, what do you expect from having a "fight" with the FAs who have absolutely nothing to do with the decision.
Dan72, DELLAS, cad-spe and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
...Risking being responsible for a delay of the flight or, in the worst case, being thrown out of the flight. Really, what do you expect from having a "fight" with the FAs who have absolutely nothing to do with the decision.
Doing that when fully aware those seats attract a fee would be the same as moving to Business Class without paying. Its different if you ask the crew and they allow it but otherwise taking something that you know is chargable is theft ! I feel sorry for the crew I really do. They have to put up with a lot these days.

Not agreeing with the policy is one thing but I would like to think that most people would not act in such a way.
cad-spe likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I don't mind sitting at the back, they can stick their charges. I'll be moving myself into other seats - but on different airlines. It'll be A3 for the minumum 4 flights (hopefully upgrading them all) and I won't bother to book any other fights. That's my answer to the problem anyway!

If the seats had been possible to choose for free at check-in I might have softened my attitude a bit, but as it is they can stick it.
palcsaky likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:16 pm

Given the fact that Expertflyer now shows A3 maps I don't see it being a problem to check the seap map before boarding and go to a seat that is not reserved. I doubt FA will be checking thoroughly that everyone took their assigned seats.

I wouldn't be doing this - I'm just wondering how A3 will be handling this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
This is not about the 2 euro, it is the principle and giving the some feedback about the policy. I won't start a "fight" but I may make a comment. I have common sense. Although I would probably end up paying up front for the seats, most likely.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:26 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Presuming the charge principle also applies to OA flights, where I suspect uptake will be even lower for a short domestic flight, how is A3 going to cope with the weight and balance issues which can arise with smaller aircraft?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by nikolask
Given the fact that Expertflyer now shows A3 maps I don't see it being a problem to check the seap map before boarding and go to a seat that is not reserved. I doubt FA will be checking thoroughly that everyone took their assigned seats.
Does EF show seat mas right up until departure? Does it retrieve the seat map data from the airport (who controls the seats during check in), or the airline reservation system (Who controls the bookings).

Very few flights nowadays have empty seats by the way - somehow A3 seems to be getting very high loads. I'm expecting that most flights will be too full to use this tactic.
DELLAS likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Presuming the charge principle also applies to OA flights, where I suspect uptake will be even lower for a short domestic flight, how is A3 going to cope with the weight and balance issues which can arise with smaller aircraft?
I am quoting Aegean:
NOTE: Business Class seats selection remains non-chargeable, as are all seats on Public Service Obligation routes and all seats on our Turbo Prop fleet type (ATR, Dash 8 Q400, Dash 8-100).
Source
SK and NWIFlyer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.