Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2019, 4:08 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I was booked ATH-MUC-LHR for last Monday. Had booked an isle up front seat on the first segment (A3) and all seemed well.

Then on my way to the airport got stuck on the road (Due to this mess) and missed the flight. Got rebooked on the next direct A3 flight to LHR (Was quoted 430 euro change fee by the ticket desk, but TA sorted it out for, in the end, a free change).

At that time there was only one isle seat available, an exit row, and they wanted 22 euro (additional to the 7 already paid for the first flight). As I'm Gold I should get half price...does an exit row really cost 44 euro on ATH-LHR? Thats kind of absurd..

Decided to go with a regular window seat at row 28 or so. Then an hour later 8C opened up. Paid another 8 euro to get the isle seat. Whole seatmap was full except a few middle seats at the back.

Then on departure 8B stayed empty. And 8C actually had the extra legroom while I always thought that only was the case up till row 5. Awesome result and made the 'pain' of paying twice for an up-front seat go away Against all odds turned out to be a very comfortable flight, with the exception of only 1 single drink round. That still sucks (Especially on a 4hr flight!).

But...44 euro for an exit row seat. Is that normal? Sounds VERY high to me..
Arrivals likes this.

Last edited by Xandrios; Nov 30, 2019 at 4:14 pm
Old Dec 1, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by Xandrios
But...44 euro for an exit row seat. Is that normal? Sounds VERY high to me..
Was just booking between CDG and ATH (similar flight duration), and the exit row seat is indeed 22 euros for Gold (and hence 44 for others). Wow.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:38 am

Do regular seats cost money to book in advance?
Old Dec 1, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by blackball
Was just booking between CDG and ATH (similar flight duration), and the exit row seat is indeed 22 euros for Gold (and hence 44 for others). Wow.
Gold get a 50% discount only for the up front seats not the exit row seats ie CDG-ATH exit row seats are €22 for everyone.

Last edited by MrArkadin; Dec 1, 2019 at 2:23 pm
Old Dec 2, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by momoflyingguy
Do regular seats cost money to book in advance?
Before check-in opens, only A3*Gs may reserve regular seats, and it's complimentary. After check-in opens, non-A3*Gs can also choose (among a limited number of) regular seats for free.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by MrArkadin
Gold get a 50% discount only for the up front seats not the exit row seats ie CDG-ATH exit row seats are €22 for everyone.
Thats good to know, then that's what is going on. Makes much more sense that way, thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by East_and_West
Before check-in opens, only A3*Gs may reserve regular seats, and it's complimentary. After check-in opens, non-A3*Gs can also choose (among a limited number of) regular seats for free.
What about non-SG's? Can they choose anything for free?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Grace B
What about non-SG's? Can they choose anything for free?
Not quite. From T-48 and on, all pax can choose freely some non-“premium” seats for free (that is, row 14 and backwards on the A320, row 11 and backwards on an A321, excl. emergency exit rows). Yet the options shown as available to non-status pax are limited.

On a recent flight with my wife who as SK*S has practically no (relevant) status on separate PNRs (mine booked by my employer), when check-in opened, I could choose any free non-“premium” seat that was still available (cross-checked with expertflyer). Mrs could only choose among a much more limited menu, as many window and aisle (as well as some middle) were "greyed out". So she chose a middle seat in our preferred row/side, and I got the window seat next to her that just seconds ago appeared as unavailable/taken to her.
Grace B likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 9:42 am

Not quite. From T-48 and on, all pax can choose freely some non-“premium” seats for free (that is, row 14 and backwards on the A320, row 11 and backwards on an A321, excl. emergency exit rows). Yet the options shown as available to non-status pax are limited.

On a recent flight with my wife who as SK*S has practically no (relevant) status on separate PNRs (mine booked by my employer), when check-in opened, I could choose any free non-“premium” seat that was still available (cross-checked with expertflyer). Mrs could only choose among a much more limited menu, as many window and aisle (as well as some middle) were "greyed out". So she chose a middle seat in our preferred row/side, and I got the window seat next to her that just seconds ago appeared as unavailable/taken to her.
But on the same PNR, would the non *G passenger be granted complimentary access to the same seats as the other passenger who is a *G?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by momoflyingguy
But on the same PNR, would the non *G passenger be granted complimentary access to the same seats as the other passenger who is a *G?
To begin with, *Gs other than A3*Gs have no seat selection benefits on A3.

Now, concerning non-status pax on the same booking as an A3*G, I checked a couple of upcoming A3 flights (ARN-ATH-ARN) I am taking with my wife on the same PNR. Reserving upfront seats, I do get my 50% off, but it turns out that my wife doesn't. Yet when it comes to standard seats (behind row 10 on A320) we can both reserve any seat for free. Go figure...
Old Dec 11, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Hi, traveling BUD-ATH-ADB on Friday, upon check in I thought I will be able to select up front seats free of charge, however I am not. For Olympic Air to ADB I am in legroom seat (2D), aisle reserved for my mate free of charge too (no status). Any way to get up front on BUD-ATH before getting to the airport and for free of charge? I guess at the airport we will get exit anyway but just curious, if I can do anything now.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:54 am

Officially, no. As an A3 Gold you would get 50% discount for up-front seats.

In reality there are reports of up-front seats being opened up to everyone close to departure. But personally I would not wait for that. Chances of ending up on a middle seat, up-front or elsewhere, are too big for me personally.
romans likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
We have reserved window and aisle at the back, row twenty-something (ugh) but exit row seems to be wide open so far. Unfortunately, even in booked S, BUD-ATH does not have J service....which I realised after booking only. Hopefully we will be given exit row or at least, nobody in the middle.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 2:50 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
They must be desperate for cash, I noticed yesterday that as a Gold member I am no longer able to book standard seats for free. I checked the Gold benefits and they have removed any mention of it. Dirty, real dirty.

Old Jul 18, 2020, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
They must be desperate for cash, I noticed yesterday that as a Gold member I am no longer able to book standard seats for free. I checked the Gold benefits and they have removed any mention of it. Dirty, real dirty.

yes, sad story even with my FB silver (star alliance silver or ow ruby) can select free standard seating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.