Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G

A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G

Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:03 am

Bad move for A3*G members in my opinion. Agree with the above replies that they should offer the upfront seats for free - to say the least.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Woah, they are essentially taking away a perk that we had as M&B Gold. I *always* try to pre-select the emergency exit row on my flights, but this will now cost me 30 euro I would have liked a discount also for extra legroom seats.

On the other hand, A3 needs to be profitable, and they need to have a sustainable FFP. Remember when we had lifetime Gold? Crazy, if you think about it now... I also suspect they are being squeezed right now- I've seen press releases about increased traffic, but nothing to show that it has translated to profits (correct me if I'm wrong).
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
I just realized- Yesterday I pre-selected the emergency exit row for an upcoming flight, and of course got it for free. Had I waited until today, I would have paid!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:27 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Wow, this is very disappointing for Golds - having to pay 8 euros just to sit in a row <10 is borderline absurd. And unnecessarily so I would say.

They will never be able to fill 6-9 rows with paid seat selections. So they will have to 'upgrade' people if the flight is even 2/3rds full. Will they do that for Golds first? Why not just allow Golds to pre-select their seats for free from the start...they will have to upgrade people anyway.

By the way, my current reservations are still standing in both business and economy. Funny thing is that, due to the existing reservation, all seats have become free on that booking.

Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:32 am

Some routes are still showing free up front and exits for all in Y on new bookings but I gather this is a tech issue.

Emails went out from A3 earlier today with the new changes. The free seat perks and discounted options apply to everyone in the same PNR as the M&B Gold member.

Last edited by DELLAS; Feb 1, 2018 at 11:38 am
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
I am going to call them, email them, send them a letter with a pigeon and complain. This is CHEAP
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Emails went out from A3 earlier today with the new changes. The free seat perks and discounted options apply to everyone in the same PNR as the M&B Gold member.
To my understanding there are no free seat perks to A3*G members. The only "perk" is the discount for the upfront seats. Everyone - regardless of status - gets free seat reservation for the rows after the emergency exit. See here.

I made a reservation today for me (A3*G) and another person on the same PNR. I can select upfront seats with the 50% discount but for the other passenger the full price has to be paid. This might still be a tech issue though that will be updated.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Aegean Miles+Bonus, IHG Rewards Club, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy
I just got off the phone with A3 call centre, trying to understand how this seat pre-booking scheme works. I asked a very particular question:

"Will the up front and extra legroom seats be available for free to all passengers after web check in opens?". The answer was: "NO"

The phone rep actually said that, even if there are privileged seats available after web check in opens - that is, not pre-booked by passengers willing to pay for - they will still be charged.

So I took it a bit further. Let's say for example that there's only one (1) seat available on the flight until 1 hour before departure, and this is an up front or extra legroom seat. If I show up at the airport check in counter at that moment, will I be asked to pay for my seat? The answer was that the seat won't be charged. (Really...?)

I would personally expect that they would provide all non pre-booked seats for free to everyone after web check in opens. It's OK if one wants to pay to reserve a seat in advance, I've done the same several times with LH, LX etc., but when web check in opens everyone should be treated equally. It just doesn't make any sense to keep asking for money after check in opens. What if passengers still refuse to pay? What about those who just don't care to check in until they go to the airport? Will they just assign them to random middle seats unless they are willing to pay?

I am inclined to believe that the phone rep had no idea whatsoever. She even put me on hold to clarify, but I'm sure other reps have no clue. I wrote a message to Aegean via their FB page, and I am really curious to see what they reply.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: A3*G, FRECCIA ALATA CLUB
These are the exact rules :
  • Preselection of Standard seats free of chargeEnjoy free of charge preselection of your preferred Standard seats, for all Aegean and Olympic Air operated flights, any time you wish, for you and your travel companions, online or offline through the Aegean's Call Center at 801 11 20000 (from a fixed phone) or at (+30) 210 6261000 (from a mobile phone or from abroad).
  • 50% discount for Up Front seatsSelect your preferred Up Front seats on all Aegean and Olympic Air operated flights and enjoy a 50% exclusive discount, online or offline through the Aegean's Call Center at 801 11 20000 (from a fixed phone) or at (+30) 210 6261000 (from a mobile phone or from abroad). Effective for sales from 01.02.2018 for travel from 12.02.2018 onwards.

No more seating upfront for free or getting a preselected exit row seat for free. Come on Aegean, we're loosing most of the perks day by day.
    Time to send a few more complaints to them, social media, email, call whatever !
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Here is the pricing, I also got the email:

https://en.aegeanair.com/travel-information/seats/charges_changes_refunds

Shame! For the nickel and diming...And the death of the program by a thousand cuts...
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
"Please note that charges already paid for seat reservations cannot be reimbursed if there are no equivalent seats available for reservation on the changed flight (i.e. same type and with the same characteristics)."

cheap
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: A3G, BA Silver, LH FT
What needs testing is whether airport check in kiosks will allow up front or extra legroom seat selection free of charge. I read somewhere that this is possible with extra legroom seats on BA but it involves a trip to the airport 24 hrs before departure when the OLCI opens.
And another one: if I check in late and get allocated a free upfront seat could I then change it for free to another upfront seat or would that change require payment?

Last edited by palcsaky; Feb 1, 2018 at 5:57 pm
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
This is so lame, A3 has become Ryanair...They are going to start selling water and scratch off tickets in the cabin soon...They are not getting my vote for best European ffp this year....
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Can we possibly spin this subject off into a new thread please Mods?

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Wow, this is very disappointing for Golds - having to pay 8 euros just to sit in a row <10 is borderline absurd. And unnecessarily so I would say.
I totally agree. This change is really bad news. Seat selection is one of the main perks of having status with any airline and Aegean are being very mean with these charges for exit and forward seats. I will definitely write to them and tell them what I think!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:28 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I wrote to them as well. Doubt it will change much, but maybe after a few months of operating this new scheme they will come to their senses.

Personally I doubt anyone is going to pay 16 euro to sit up front. That part will remain empty until they will have to open it for free upgrades. Even other airlines with a comparable product (KLM, Economy Comfort) charge less, and, they market it a lot better by focussing on the extra legroom. Unfortunately with Aegean, at row 6-10, I don't believe there actually is any additional legroom.

And by the way, on the ATH-AMS route at least, KLM offers free Economy Comfort seats to top Elites and sells the rest for 12 euro. And even with that, is normally not even able to fill half of those seats. Only during check in, when they realise the flight is full, those seats are filled with free upgrades.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.