Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

Upgrading a flight with a coupon that is about to expire

Old Jan 22, 18, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G

So far we know that you can use a coupon for a flight that will take place after the coupon expires. Recently Aegean has waitlisted a lot of us. Now, what happens if you ask for an upgrade (coupon!) for a flight after the expiration of the coupon?

Example: Coupon expires 24 November. Flight is scheduled for 2 January. Upgrade is requested on 1 November.

Has anyone had a recent experience?
Old Jan 22, 18, 2:32 pm

A friend of mine had a similar experience. They upgraded him after the expiry date (24/Nov) and they used one of his new coupons (without asking). I am not sure what happens if for some reason you have no more coupons...
Arrivals likes this.
Old Jan 23, 18, 4:26 am

Programs: A3 gold, BA silver, IHG platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Arrivals View Post
So far we know that you can use a coupon for a flight that will take place after the coupon expires. Recently Aegean has waitlisted a lot of us. Now, what happens if you ask for an upgrade (coupon!) for a flight after the expiration of the coupon?

Example: Coupon expires 24 November. Flight is scheduled for 2 January. Upgrade is requested on 1 November.

Has anyone had a recent experience?
Had the same problem this year. Over the phone the A3 agent told me:
1) Obviously, if the upgrade is cleared before the coupon expiry, they will use the coupon
2) If the upgrade isn't cleared, you need to call to get a new coupon linked in case the upgrade clears a few days before departure(although the poster above seems to imply that A3 does this automatically)

In my case, the upgrade didn't clear, but I didn't bother updating my coupon to score an upgrade from my pre-christmas flight. However, we got an op-up to C class at the gate along with 2 other pax that seemed to be on the same situation as me(A3 golds whose upgrades hadn't cleared).
None of my coupons were used, and I even got C-class miles for my trip
Arrivals likes this.
Old Jan 23, 18, 7:10 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A G, OW Saph.
if the upgrade is cleared before the coupon expiry, the coupon can be used OK.
The coupon wont be refunded if you cancel/change the upgrade after the coupon's expiry date.
So, you should upgrade flights you are sure you wont change for whatever reason.