Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Award ticket search now shows Star Alliance flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award ticket search now shows Star Alliance flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Neither AC or UA North America flights showing up...
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: A3 *G
Another interesting "MPM anomaly" is that some flights transiting via other zones show up for the lower price. For example I have been looking at IST-CMB in C class which is 45,000 miles (Europe to Near East/Central Asia) . TK doesn't have so much availability (and the flight is a one-stopper at MLE anyway), but IST-SIN-CMB (TK/SQ) and IST-BKK-CMB (TK/TG) are both available in C class for the same 45,000 miles, even though Europe to Far East should be 55,000 miles. This works out much better and yet I'd never have thought to call A3 to ask about those routings. It's 3900 miles direct, 7097 miles (+82%) via SIN.
headingwest likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
It is worth noting that Lufthansa's Miles and More ffp also did not have the online capability for partner award bookings until last month or so, but now you can book 26 partner flights online, also except United. Very similar to what happens here, timing and all.
Houminer likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: A3*G
On another note, did they remove the booking class requirements for Star Alliance upgrade awards? I cannot seem to find this mentioned anymore, neither on the Aegean website (https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...#star-alliance) nor on the Star Alliance site (http://www.staralliance.com/en/upgrade-awards).. Also, do you need to pay the amount of miles per segment or for a complete "stretch"?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: SPG, MR, Aeroplan, UAMP, BAEC
Tried mok booking for Tokyo Bangkok. Observations:
- TG nonstop flight doesn’t show up, while TG connecting option with others such as NH and OZ does.
- Search by airport but not city. For example, Tokyo (TYO) doesn’t work. Need to search by HND and NRT separately.
- SQ availability shows up, unlike UA online.

Overall, great enhancement though.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: Aegean Gold
Similarly, direct Ethiopian flights don't show up but ET flights are included in options together with SN or LH.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by rava.stuff
Similarly, direct Ethiopian flights don't show up but ET flights are included in options together with SN or LH.
I am very disappointed the amount of flights that A3 gets blocked by other *A member. What is the point for being an alliance member?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jma12
I am very disappointed the amount of flights that A3 gets blocked by other *A member. What is the point for being an alliance member?
You win some and you lose some! Thats how it flows.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I'm certainly not grumbling. I managed to book 5 Business Class flights around Asia and back to Europe (on Singapore Airlines, Asiana, and EVA Air) all for a total of €64.45 + 76,000 miles. That's 31 hours 25 minutes flying time in Business Class. Not bad at all!

Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by headingwest
I'm certainly not grumbling. I managed to book 5 Business Class flights around Asia and back to Europe (on Singapore Airlines, Asiana, and EVA Air) all for a total of €64.45 + 76,000 miles. That's 31 hours 25 minutes flying time in Business Class. Not bad at all!

too bad not all of us have flexible schedules. I am surprised they let you route through ICN to connect to SIN from MNL
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by Jma12
too bad not all of us have flexible schedules. I am surprised they let you route through ICN to connect to SIN from MNL
how you can pay this price?
one way asia > asia (2 segments max) + one way asia > europe (2 segments max) is already : 21K + 55K.
I'm curious about the booking
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by frenchft
how you can pay this price?
one way asia > asia (2 segments max) + one way asia > europe (2 segments max) is already : 21K + 55K.
I'm curious about the booking
21k for Intra Far East J
55k for MNL-TPE, TPE-BKK-VIE. the last 2 segments are married, and count as 1 segment.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Correct Jma12

MNL-ICN-SIN cost 21,000 miles + €17.75 (all departures from MNL have extremely low fees)
KUL-TPE-BKK-LHR cost 55,000 miles + €46.70

The TPE-BKK-LHR flights are indeed married segments, so count as one flight even though they can also be booked separately.

I wanted to maximise my experience for the miles used. I could have started the Asia>Europe booking at CGK with an extra hour of flying but taxes were not so attractive, so I chose KUL instead. Timings were better anyway, so that I didn't have 3 consecutive flights without a break. I figured an evening in Taipei will break the flying up a bit and allow me to enjoy the whole experience more. I could have routed directly to where I live near VIE but that was a late night departure from Asia, so I chose the flights to London instead because the 2 services are during the day and should be much nicer. After reading reviews I've heard nothing but praise about EVA Air's Business Class product, so it should be fun.

Incidentally, I noticed a few married segments around Asia, here's another example:
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:33 am

The TPE-BKK-LHR flights are indeed married segments, so count as one flight even though they can also be booked separately.
It's not married segments, it's a single flight with a layover in BKK. A single flight means one ticket and one boarding card. In the good-old days with paper tickets, you would need a single coupon for the TPE-BKK-LHR flight. I once was on a flight MNL-BKK-KHI-FRA-LGW, and it was all one coupon because it was the same flight with the same flight number.

Married segments is when you have two separate flights that have availability on their own, but which cannot be booked together. Say that you're trying to book LH LHR-FRA-BKK. The flight LHR-FRA has availability, and the flight FRA-BKK has availability, but when you try to add both flights to the same booking, it says that there's no availability. But even with availability, married segments would still count as two segments for Aegean award purposes.
Jma12 and headingwest like this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Correct Jma12

MNL-ICN-SIN cost 21,000 miles + €17.75 (all departures from MNL have extremely low fees)
KUL-TPE-BKK-LHR cost 55,000 miles + €46.70

I wanted to maximise my experience for the miles used. I could have started the Asia>Europe booking at CGK with an extra hour of flying but taxes were not so attractive, so I chose KUL instead. Timings were better anyway, so that I didn't have 3 consecutive flights without a break. I figured an evening in Taipei will break the flying up a bit and allow me to enjoy the whole experience more. I could have routed directly to where I live near VIE but that was a late night departure from Asia, so I chose the flights to London instead because the 2 services are during the day and should be much nicer. After reading reviews I've heard nothing but praise about EVA Air's Business Class product, so it should be fun.

Incidentally, I noticed a few married segments around Asia, here's another example:
ok , now i understand, it's same flight. Because 2 stops are not allow with A3 *A rewards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.