Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Severe data protection issue - I can see and modify a stranger's flight on my A3 app

Severe data protection issue - I can see and modify a stranger's flight on my A3 app

Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G
I'm as sure of that today as I was yesterday. Also, don't you think A3 Customer Service might have mentioned that in their response if that was the problem?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ObserverA3
I'm as sure of that today as I was yesterday. Also, don't you think A3 Customer Service might have mentioned that in their response if that was the problem?
You didn't notice the check-in email. Who knows what else may not have been noticed?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:03 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I am actually impressed that they got back to you within a day

This is getting more puzzling:

Some data points:

My A3 email address is German (.de). I use the initial of my first name and my full last name. My new "mystery friend" is greek, and her initials (first and last) are different from mine.

I just noticed that I received an e-mail confirmation about check-in for this flight two days ago (when the check-in window for the flight first opened).

Very strange.
If you received the check-in notification, then your email was associated with the booking, not just the check in. As that email is sent to the email in the booking.

Does not clear up why that would be the case though. Have you used a public PC that may have remembered (and pre-filled) the email address later on? Or perhaps mentioned the email address to a support or ticket desk - who may have accidentally applied it to the wrong booking?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:45 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
It seems more likely to me that the OP's M+B number was attached to the booking in error, which then auto-filled the e-mail field and sent notifications out. Given no original booking e-mail was received, the likelihood is that this happened sometime afterwards.

This could have done by the person making the booking, but equally it could have been mis-keyed by an A3 agent ... and at this stage I would strongly suspect the OP will not ever get to find out.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
If you received the check-in notification, then your email was associated with the booking, not just the check in. As that email is sent to the email in the booking.
You can select a different email during the check-in for the boarding passes to be delivered.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You didn't notice the check-in email. Who knows what else may not have been noticed?
I don't see how sarcasm can advance this discussion.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:54 pm

This is getting more puzzling:

Some data points:

My A3 email address is German (.de). I use the initial of my first name and my full last name. My new "mystery friend" is greek, and her initials (first and last) are different from mine.

I just noticed that I received an e-mail confirmation about check-in for this flight two days ago (when the check-in window for the flight first opened).

Very strange.
You could/should contact the new "mystery friend" directly and try to find out why she filled your e-mail address for her BP to be sent to you. That may help find out what happened. By the way, what do you mean exactly with her initials (first and last) are different from yours? An "initial" can never be... last!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Let's hope A3 doesn't lock the OP's account in trying to figure this out, as in no good deed goes unpunished...

It is obviously some kind of IT glitch. I had that happen to me once before, don't remember the airline, I think I called and they were like "don't worry about it, it is a temporary glitch."
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:56 pm

The way I interpret OP's correspondence with A3's CS is that they claim his email address was indicated as where the BP should be sent to. OP says that his and "her" (the "mystery friend") address were very different, thus no typo was possible (first and last -?- initials different). Some questions that are still open are:

- How different were the two email addresses.
- Does the "mystery friend" know OP?
- How did OP find out the "mystery friend"'s enmail address? The BP does NOT contain any email addresses!

...and possibly a few more. With the last name and the Booking reference there is no problem accessing the reservation, both at the CI time and (even worse) changing it completely!
Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Argyris
I don't see how sarcasm can advance this discussion.
I assure you I was not, and am not, being sarcastic.

I had to ask twice if the OP could be sure that the ticket was not booked using his/her (hacked) account, to be told that (s)he was as sure as on the previous day - though no answer had been given on the previous day.

If the OP doesn't respond to simple, relevant questions, are we not allowed to try obtaining the information a second time? Isn't the idea of posting the thread such that the "problem" can be solved?

We can't be sure of anything that we haven't been explicitly told. The OP's later post indictes that they were already in possession of further relevant information of which they were not aware. If a relevant email was not spotted, how can we know that other relevant information has similarly not been spotted by the OP?

I'm not sure why you interpreted a simple question asked to try and eliminate one possible avenue (and a dangerous and increasingly common one, at that) as being "sarcastic".
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:49 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by KLouis
The way I interpret OP's correspondence with A3's CS is that they claim his email address was indicated as where the BP should be sent to. OP says that his and "her" (the "mystery friend") address were very different, thus no typo was possible (first and last -?- initials different). Some questions that are still open are:

- How different were the two email addresses.
- Does the "mystery friend" know OP?
- How did OP find out the "mystery friend"'s enmail address? The BP does NOT contain any email addresses!

...and possibly a few more. With the last name and the Booking reference there is no problem accessing the reservation, both at the CI time and (even worse) changing it completely!
I don't think ObserverA3 knows the mystery person's actual email address, because for this particular flight mystery person's email address is ObserverA3's email address. So there is no way to contact the mystery person.

Regarding your other point, I'm sure the OP just means the intials of first and last names are different, i.e. the first letter of the mystery person's given name and the first letter of their surname.

And since the other person has a completely different name, the OP was wondering how they managed to input the wrong email. The OP also says that the M&B numbers are completely different so it probably isn't that either.
ObserverA3 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
I don't think ObserverA3 knows the mystery person's actual email address, because for this particular flight mystery person's email address is ObserverA3's email address. So there is no way to contact the mystery person.

Regarding your other point, I'm sure the OP just means the intials of first and last names are different, i.e. the first letter of the mystery person's given name and the first letter of their surname.

And since the other person has a completely different name, the OP was wondering how they managed to input the wrong email. The OP also says that the M&B numbers are completely different so it probably isn't that either.
Thank you.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:14 am

Soon the EU data protection rules are being tightened. Hefty fines for non compliance. Whatever the cause they and other companies will need to bring in changes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.