Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

A3 ranked #9 airline in the world by Conde Nast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold

Not too bad for our little airline...

https://www.cntraveler.com/galleries...oice-awards/12

The caption says A3 plans to expand by more than 50%. Interesting.

Last edited by justforfun; Oct 20, 2017 at 4:16 am
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I'd rank it higher

But you must take all these "rankings" with a pinch of salt; the author clearly doesn't know what s/he is talking about.

Here's what they say about KLM (Number 20):

"KLM’s premium economy cabins get rave reviews for seat comfort,"

Not only does KLM *not* have a premium economy cabin; their seat comfort attracts far more complaints than praise.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I'd rank it higher

But you must take all these "rankings" with a pinch of salt; the author clearly doesn't know what s/he is talking about.

Not only does KLM *not* have a premium economy cabin; their seat comfort attracts far more complaints than praise.
Plus Swiss is highly ranked. I have sworn I will NEVER fly Swiss again, after the last time I was on one of their 777-300s with a 3-4-3 config. I was touching elbows with the guy next to me the *entire* 10+ hour flight... Ugh...
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did laugh at the Swiss caption. Says something about going for a boutique airline feel rather than a stodgy flag carrier - accompanied by a photo which places them firmly in the "stodgy" category.

And you have to wonder if they could have found a worse photo to use for Emirates...

I think whoever "assembled" that article was having a laugh!!!
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:15 am

Programs: A3*G
I'd rank it higher

KLM has introduced "Economy Comfort" sections on its entire fleet now (including narrowbody planes), in the style of United, with 4 inches more legroom. I guess this counts as premium economy.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:18 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Not really. A premium economy is usually a different product than just an economy seat with more legroom. All airlines which have something akin to KLM, i.e. an economy seat with more legroom, but without its dedicated cabin, service and fare class are usually very careful to not name it Premium Economy.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CesarFrancq
KLM has introduced "Economy Comfort" sections on its entire fleet now (including narrowbody planes), in the style of United, with 4 inches more legroom. I guess this counts as premium economy.
Again...they specifically state "Premium Economy cabin". Anyone who has seen KLM's Economy Comfort seats would NOT get every single aspect wrong. It's not a different seat, and it's not a different cabin.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:48 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Slightly OT - but NZ the world's best airline? Weird - the trans-Tasman experience is a very low cost one.

A3's rating is well deserved...
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably the best flight I ever had was a domestic hop from Auckland down to New Plymouth 6 years ago on a Dash 8; the sole flight attendant was the most engaging, friendly and welcoming staff member I have ever had the pleasure of meeting; she acted as tour guide and welcome ambassador and was an absolute credit not only to the airline, but to the entire country. ^

My only other NZ experience was on a trans-Tasman; one of the big rugby boys in my row had obviously overdone it the night before; he spent a large part of the flight spewing into various sick bags.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
She is the winner of the Lowell Thomas Award for Investigative Reporting and the Gene DuBois Award for Excellence in Travel and Aviation Reporting.
Not a ringing endorsement for these awards, although I assume at some point before modern media became a click-factory she did something more worthy than Buzzfeed style slideshows.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Post deleted.

Last edited by johnirvine; Oct 24, 2017 at 8:00 am Reason: Post deleted.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:32 am

Having started my Aegean relationship out of greed (getting gold as easy as possible) a few years ago, the company has slowly convinced me and I easily consider it among the best airlines in Europe. Certainly better than any of the big ones! Everything from onboard service, transfer service, gold hotline service and general friendliness as well as organisation of staff, and last but not least important, attitude when problems arise, is just excellent.
Also, even if I'm no expert in this area, their high utilisation of their economical unity fleet of A320s, seems to save money where it doesn't really hurt anyone involved. When I started using Aegean, I was disappointed they had no longhaul flights, and only flights on weird times to the Middle East. Now I know the reason and hope it doesn't change!
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I really enjoy flying A3. The only problem we ever encounter is the lobby at ATH seems to be complete chaos. However, I've only been there during the morning hours and guessing this is just a surge for all the pax flying to the islands first thing in the morning? Seems like there could be ways for improvement to expedite quicker or increase your counter space with more agents or increased self bag-tag.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
These are encouraging comments. I’ll have *G via SQ by the end of the year but for next year I think I’d like to go the A3 route as I’m based in the EU and that looks more sustainable (the main reason being the relatively low hurdle for retaining *G).

However, qualifying for A3*G will be quite a bit more work than just retaining it so I will likely have to go the well-trodden route of flying SK to get there. Why is A3 so generous with SK accrual?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:07 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
It is the other way around: SK is generous with A3. The operating carrier is the one deciding what to award for all FFP of the alliance. SK went for simplicity: 100% earning on economy for all FFP. Lufthansa went for being a scrooge, as if you notice their logo is not a crane but a vulture
DELLAS, magyir, ermis177 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.