Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

A3 602 to LHR on 18th August - Lightening Strike

Old Aug 19, 17, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold

I was on A3 602 to Heathrow yesterday. There were storms around London and on the approach in to Heathrow (about 5 mins out from landing) our plane was struck by lightening. There was a big flash on the right side of the plane (where I was sat) and a very loud bang. Aside from a stressed sounding captain (re-)announcing "seats for landing", the actual landing was uneventful.

How common are lightening strikes on planes? Looking at the return flight (A3 603), it was delayed by a couple of hours. Would this be because a plane would need to be checked over after a lightening strike?

I'm just interested - it's the first I've been on a plane where this has happened.
Old Aug 19, 17, 4:00 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire Ambassador
Reasonably common - probably on average a plane will sustain a strike per year - and in the vast majority of circumstances not at all an issue because the fuselage is designed to conduct it away from vital areas. It's conceivable the flight deck might have to cope with some short term instrument fluctuations, but that's about it.

The plane would have been examined on landing, which is what would have caused the onward delay.
Old Aug 19, 17, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by itfcfan View Post
How common are lightening strikes on planes? Looking at the return flight (A3 603), it was delayed by a couple of hours. Would this be because a plane would need to be checked over after a lightening strike?

I'm just interested - it's the first I've been on a plane where this has happened.
Very common and aircraft are designed to deal with it. On arrival a more extensive pre flight check would have been carried out. Also if there were storms this could have been the reason for delays at LHR in general.
Old Aug 23, 17, 6:09 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
pretty common ... 146+ threads on flyertalk alone.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: