Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Expiry

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Mileage Expiry

What is the best way to prevent RDMs from expiring? Also, for the 3 year inactivity rule, does "Card Downgrade" count as activity?
Old May 11, 2017, 1:57 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
There is only one way to prevent expiry, and that's to take a mileage earning flight with a Star Alliance airline (or Olympic).

Hotel stays, car hire and mileage redemption, or any other non-flight activity, do not count. You must fly.

Card Downgrade is not an activity - it's actually more an indication of non-activity!

Given your location, I'd drive to MRY and take the 248 mile trip down to Monterey - you could probably pick up a return on UA for $100, which would likely be cheaper than trying to get somewhere from SFO.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
There is only one way to prevent expiry, and that's to take a mileage earning flight with a Star Alliance airline (or Olympic).

Hotel stays, car hire and mileage redemption, or any other non-flight activity, do not count. You must fly.

Card Downgrade is not an activity - it's actually more an indication of non-activity!

Given your location, I'd drive to MRY and take the 248 mile trip down to Monterey - you could probably pick up a return on UA for $100, which would likely be cheaper than trying to get somewhere from SFO.
Not sure what you're talking about with regard to MRY....

Anyhows, thanks for the info, I have an upcoming SK CPH-ARN so I can just credit that to A3.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:27 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Not sure what you're talking about with regard to MRY....

Anyhows, thanks for the info, I have an upcoming SK CPH-ARN so I can just credit that to A3.
Ah yes, MRY to MRY wouldn't make much sense, would it? . MRY-LAX would be better - I'd think it would be one of the cheapest routes in the *A network.

I had assumed from your question that you didn't have any flights booked, but given you do SK will work nicely given all fare buckets credit.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
^ ^ ^
Old May 14, 2017, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Also do miles have to be used for travel by expiry date or just redeemed by expiry date?
Old May 14, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
What is the best way to prevent RDMs from expiring? Also, for the 3 year inactivity rule, does "Card Downgrade" count as activity?
Your miles no dot expire, but your account does. According to the A3 agent, you must fly with *A or OA once every 36 months to keep your account active.

Also do miles have to be used for travel by expiry date or just redeemed by expiry date?
I believe you can redeem for a ticket up to 365 days out for *A/OA flights, but you can not cancel the ticket once your account expires.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

So the SK flight just showed up in my account and it says Blue card expiry 23/11/2019. Unforutnately, I didn't look to see what it was before the flight credited. Is this a new rule?
Old May 20, 2017, 3:53 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
@21NOV2012: ()

I would guess thats just the expiry of the card (that you should get in the mail). Not necessarily the expiry of the account.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
ok, so if I let my account expire (after 24 months) - Can I credit a flight within the next 12 months to reactivate it?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: A3G, BA Silver, LH FT
Originally Posted by rankourabu
ok, so if I let my account expire (after 24 months) - Can I credit a flight within the next 12 months to reactivate it?
If the Blue Member has not performed a single flight activity within a period of forty eight consecutive (48) months from the date of the last valid flight that registered miles or from the date of his/her registration, then his/her Account will be inactivated for a period of twelve (12) months. In this period of time the Member may retroactively credit Tier Miles for flights that took place within the past 12 months and within the period that the Account was active to reactivate his/her Account. It is specified that the Member cannot earn or spend Miles for as long as his/her Account is inactive. Should no reactivation occur within the twelve (12) month inactivation period, the Card and Account will be closed permanently and the Award Miles earned will automatically be cancelled.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Wait, so its now 48 months?? :O
If so.. yay!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by palcsaky
If the Blue Member has not performed a single flight activity within a period of forty eight consecutive (48) months from the date of the last valid flight that registered miles or from the date of his/her registration, then his/her Account will be inactivated for a period of twelve (12) months. In this period of time the Member may retroactively credit Tier Miles for flights that took place within the past 12 months and within the period that the Account was active to reactivate his/her Account. It is specified that the Member cannot earn or spend Miles for as long as his/her Account is inactive. Should no reactivation occur within the twelve (12) month inactivation period, the Card and Account will be closed permanently and the Award Miles earned will automatically be cancelled.
I haven't credited a flight since Feb 2013, so about 4.5 years. Am I now in that 12 month inactivation period? And the only way to save my ~21K miles is to credit a flight that was taken in the past?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by DBoy
I haven't credited a flight since Feb 2013, so about 4.5 years. Am I now in that 12 month inactivation period? And the only way to save my ~21K miles is to credit a flight that was taken in the past?
It sounds like you're too late is it's been 4.5 years. Are you sure your account is still there? Is it active, or suspended - or deleted?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Miles do not expire in A3. According to the agents, your account needs to be active by crediting a flight once every 3 years. Might be a problem if A3 is not your main FFP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.